Pres. Trump Afghan Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
    My plan to stabilize that country would have me at the Hauge War Crimes Tribunal Court, tried and executed.
    Unfortunately this is the situation we have created. I'll eat crow if we're actually in and out of the conflict with a quick resolution, but I found the speech to be very disheartening. I sounded like more of the same Bush-era, United States of Israel foreign policy.

The USSR's rules of engagement following the Saur Revolution in Afghanistan were basically to kill everyone and burn it to the ground - and that still didn't win them the war. The CIA-funded groups that fought the soviets and later became the diverse array of terror groups that we see today, will be the same ones to undermine the USA's success - and likely be proxy-funded by Russia, in an ironic twist of history.

There's no happy ending in Afghanistan, regardless of what any politician or military general might want to assure the public of.

Comment

Wow I just listened to the full speech. How someone could take any part of that and twist it into something evil is beyond me. In my opinion that was one HELL of a speech and he spoke to every reason I pulled the lever for him.

Comment

While I like that they're letting the commanders on the ground fight the war,I don't see us actually"winning".We've been training their military and security forces for over a decade and they still can't or won't do it on their own.Unless we have a permanent presence,when we leave it'll be the wild west again.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
          Afghanistan has vast deposits of important rare earth minerals and other metals that can be easily mined if they weren't located in a war zone. If we can stabilize the region and get mining activities started, the payoff could be huge.
          Copper and lithium being the main ones. However there's a small country called China buying up massive tracts of land to mine as soon as the war is over.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
            While I like that they're letting the commanders on the ground fight the war,I don't see us actually"winning".We've been training their military and security forces for over a decade and they still can't or won't do it on their own.Unless we have a permanent presence,when we leave it'll be the wild west again.

DJ
            For the most part you are right. But some of the ABP we had with us were as hard charging dead serious about killing taliban as anyone. It will take time for this mentality to grow. how long i do not know

Comment

One thing is certain. When this Afghanistan thing is over, the heroine epidemic in our country will whither away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                One thing is certain. When this Afghanistan thing is over, the heroine epidemic in our country will whither away.
                You aint ever lied, except we just prescribe it now so there will at least be an alternative.

Comment

For me it was a fair speech. I just don't like more of our folks being sent there. 16 years is long enough......ask Russia about that horrible idea in the 80's. But let's not be naive......Afghanistan has the world's largest deposits of rare metals! If we leave the Chinese, etc al, will fill the void.....asked we will be left out. Just hate to see our military folks being used as pawns.....again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X