Question for compound-to-trad converts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for compound-to-trad converts.

Do you still shoot both? I've got to tell you I'm a little surprised how deeply this trad thing has already gotten ahold of me. For many years I've thought about picking up a recurve just to play around with but my intention was never to convert 100%. I've shot my recurve at least every other day in the four months I've owned it and in that time my trusty old Mathews has not left it's hook in the closet! My compound buddies have said "but what if that big buck shows up out of your range, like at 30 yards?" (similar to the way my rifle hunting friends said I would regret laying down the bangstick.) I guess the method has become more important than the meat, because that thought doesn't bother me. I've always loved shooting my compound but I can't bring myself to pick it up - if I have any time at all to shoot, I've GOT to practice with the recurve! So anyway, does anybody practice/hunt with both?

Not really a convert, but sold all my compound stuff..

Either you is, or you ain't...
    Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Nope! I just sold my new Mathews Z7 and all of my compound gear and have completely made the switch. The only thing I have that remains is my Mathews hat that came with my bow.

Comment

Converted my Con 3 to an ILF and have recurve and longbow limbs for it. I can still shoot my Mathews that way.

Comment

I started in your same boat. Shot a compound until i got a recurve. Then i never shot the compound anymore. Sold the compound and went hardcore trad for a few years. Then i quit practicing as much and lost my confidence with the curve. Bought another compound. Hunted with it about twice and sold it on here. It just didn't feel right. Heavy, awkward, and i was always worried about my sights being on.

Comment

I still have all my stuff, it really doesn't matter to me, rather I shoot a stick or wheel bow, muzzleloader rifle, pistol as long as I'm out there.

The only purist I am is no BBQ sauce on my venison. some people are not coordinated enough to become confident with a stickbow. I appauld them for for hunting with what ever they feel most confident with.

In October when I'm in Texas (16th to the 27th) anyone is welcome at my campfire with whatever ya shoot. I'll have all three with me compound,stickbow and slingbow.

Comment

I hunt with both!I enjoy year round shooting with my trad bows more but before hunting season Ill pick up my compound to make sure its dialed in also.Makes no difference to me which bow I shoot them with.The real challenge of the hunt for me is to get the animal I want to shoot within bow range.If I can achieve that then they are in trouble with whatever bow I'm holding!

Comment

Nothing but sticks for me! There was a few years that I shot my Oneida Screaming Eagle (canted and off the shelf with no sights just like a recurve). You have been bitten by the bug. Trad archery is challenging and hard. Until you get into it you cannot know how hard it is. Wait till you shoot and recover your first trad shot animal. You will probably sell the compound then (if you had not already by then).

Bisch

Comment

I have an old Bear Whitetail 2 that has been in my closet since highschool. I pulled it out and had a new string put on it. Shot one arrow out of it and put it up. I didn't like the feeling. Clunky, noisy and no fun. I shot my brothers brand new PSE and the same thing. I'm not going back.

Sent from my iToilet using Tapatalk.

Comment

It's been fifteen years since I shot a compound. Can't really say I'm a convert since I started in archery before compounds were available.
                    Last edited by Phillip Fields; 04-29-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing but sticks for me! There was a few years that I shot my Oneida Screaming Eagle (canted and off the shelf with no sights just like a recurve). You have been bitten by the bug. Trad archery is challenging and hard. Until you get into it you cannot know how hard it is. Wait till you shoot and recover your first trad shot animal. You will probably sell the compound then (if you had not already by then).

Bisch

Now when was it Deb that we heard" I am in such slump that i bought a set of Wheels""

Comment

I haven't shot my compound in a long long time, but it wasn't a conscious decision, just kinda happened.

Comment

I'm in the same boat jerp. To answer your question the bowtech will probably travel to camp this season but will stay in the case utill anybody needs it for whatever reason, atleast for this year.

Comment

I switched over this last fall, and haven't hunted with a compound sense. For the most part the only compound shooting I've done is to help others with there's. I've thought about the 30 yard scenario as well and just came to the conclusion that I would rather hunt with a longbow knowing my effective yardage is 20 and under. I've shot enough with a compound. I may change my mind if I get to where I can't put meat in the freezer.

First it was gun to compound bow, then compound bow to longbow. My wife is wondering whats next, spear? Nah, I'm thinking selfbow, then maybe a spear.

Matt

Comment

I never touched one. Never will. It's fun to shoot the course at the club shoots with my compound buddies, tho. It makes for some great verbal wrangling, and I can take a nap while they shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X