Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practice Arrow and hunting arrow weight question??...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice Arrow and hunting arrow weight question??...

So i went huntngthis past week end and i missed a Doe saturday night and again sunday night same set up distance... but before i go to my set up i like to shoot about 3 arrows to make sure its on point and i ht the center of my target with at 3 arrows..... so i was curious as to why i am missing the shots
    so my practice arrows are a different brand than my hunting arrows but same lenght but i wheighed them at work and..
    my hunting arrow weigh= .98oz
    and my practice arrows weigh=1.09oz
    could this be a big factor as to why my arrows are flying right over the backs of my deer i mean like 1-1/2 inch over their backs???

Not sure what that weight is in grains but you should definitely practice with the same arrows you hunt with. Broadheads too

Comment

shoot yer hunting arrows at target and see.....

Comment

Are you hunting out of a tree stand?

Comment

Different brands can have slightly different spine weight. This will cause a different point of impact. Not as noticeable with field tips. But Broadheads will magnify the inconsistency.

Comment

i am shotting from up on a steap hill about 15ft. higher that my target which is at about 35yrds im not really sweating the misses because it was just for meat"A DOE" but if it would of been a nice Buck i would be in need of some sleep....i am going out to the ranch after work hope fully i work out the kinks...
            thanks,

Comment

Sounds like you are not bending at the waist when you shoot at the downhill angle. That will wreck your shooting form, and cause you to shoot high every single time.

Comment

My guess would also be that your not bending at your waist to make that shot. I would also tell you to zero in your sight according to the hunting arrows not your practice arrows. Also practice shooting from higher elevation in order to get accustomed to that shot and it becomes second nature!!! Always be as accurate as possible with the equipment your sending toward a live animal. Im okay with being a little off with my practice arrows but on game day its all set for that big moment

Comment

Great replies from all above but the first thing I would tell you to do is to use the same brand of arrows for practicing and hunting first. If you are not going to buy new arrows that are identical, then use your hunting arrows for practice and hunting. Any variation could affect the POI if the arrow. Never mix and match. By not bending at your waist if you are shooting downwards or upwards will alter your draw length and possibly your anchor point and cause your POI to change. Also, deer have a very big habit of dropping and turning away from the sound of your bow. You are not the first to have a deer "duck" an arrow or use the wrong form when shooting from a tree stand or tripod.

Comment

Good thread. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
                      i am shotting from up on a steap hill about 15ft. higher that my target which is at about 35yrds im not really sweating the misses because it was just for meat"A DOE" but if it would of been a nice Buck i would be in need of some sleep....i am going out to the ranch after work hope fully i work out the kinks...
                      thanks,
                      Is the target you shoot at 35 yards away, or were the deer 35 yards away, or both?
                      If you're shooting 35 yards, at a target or a deer, you're gonna be hard pressed to find 2 different makes and weight shafts to impact the same.

Comment

Only practice with 1 hunting arrow and broadhead during the season. If you only shoot one practice broadhead like me then it will condition you to be able to make that first and only shot count. Also, when you have to stop and walk down every time for one arrow, it makes you find your "form" everytime, thus practicing that too.

Also,
                        I always shoot my practice broadhead once into the grass (I aim at a leaf, twig, coon, etc.) after my hunt to practice shooting out of my stands, I encourage you to do the same, so that you're used to shooting out of your stand. (Because it is TOTALLY different than shooting off the porch with perfect form)

This may not be the best advice but it is what I do and it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Not sure what that weight is in grains but you should definitely practice with the same arrows you hunt with. Broadheads too
                          Great advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            Great replies from all above but the first thing I would tell you to do is to use the same brand of arrows for practicing and hunting first. If you are not going to buy new arrows that are identical, then use your hunting arrows for practice and hunting. Any variation could affect the POI if the arrow. Never mix and match. By not bending at your waist if you are shooting downwards or upwards will alter your draw length and possibly your anchor point and cause your POI to change. Also, deer have a very big habit of dropping and turning away from the sound of your bow. You are not the first to have a deer "duck" an arrow or use the wrong form when shooting from a tree stand or tripod.
                            This

BTW your hunting arrows are 428.75gr and your practice arrows are 476.87gr. That is quite a bit of a difference and probably a big part of your dilemma.
                            I would suggest shooting one of your hunting arrows at a target and resighting your bow or we will be reading about the big one that you missed

Comment

Put away the "practice arrows" and use the hunting arrows for everything.
                              Practice- hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X