Waterfowl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterfowl question

What are the most common species you seen in north texas (hill county around hillsboro)? We have seen mostly ring necks, a few red heads, few scaups, and one wigeon. I'm just starting so excuse my ignorance. Do we get mallards or are they just not that common down here.
    Last edited by 1shot; 12-02-2013, 11:00 AM.

We don't get many mallards usually in Abilene. At least not on my tank. Lots of widgeon, gadwall, pintails, ring necks, teal, shovelers. We will kill an occasional mallard. It's a bonus if we kill one.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-N-Rut View Post
      We don't get many mallards usually in Abilene. At least not on my tank. Lots of widgeon, gadwall, pintails, ring necks, teal, shovelers. We will kill an occasional mallard. It's a bonus if we kill one.
      x2

Comment

I think if our season down here would start later and finish later then we would get some of those bigger birds down here. We have mallards on our tank after the season is over every year. Just my opinion.

Comment

It was actually a gadwall not a widgeon. Got mixed up

Comment

Mallards can be killed in Texas but they really stack up in OK and Kansas late in the year. A couple times a year we will get them in good numbers, but nothing like our neighbors just north of us.

Comment

On small ponds, you won't get a lot of mallards, mostly what you've already been getting. You'll get one occasionally, but not frequently. Gotta go the bigger ponds, lakes to get frequently.

Comment

I"m hunting a 12 acre pond is that still considered a small pond?

Comment

Tons of gadwall...

Comment

I hunt a 11 acre pond not far from you in Blooming Grove. I think in the last 2 years we have killed 10-15 mallards in those two years. We get a ton of gadwall, ringnecks, and quite a few widgeon.

Comment

we have been shooting a mix of birds normally gadwall and wigeon, few teal in the mix.

i dont start seeing greenheads till the second split here in coryell county. did have a buddy smoke a hooded magansar drake and hen on a pond, which we dont see many of those.

last year i smoke a lot of wood ducks and didnt think about mounting one, now i really want one mounted and seem to not see them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                        I hunt a 11 acre pond not far from you in Blooming Grove. I think in the last 2 years we have killed 10-15 mallards in those two years. We get a ton of gadwall, ringnecks, and quite a few widgeon.
                        What kind of decoys are you using? Mallard? i was thinking about painting some mallards and making them divers.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_brister View Post
                          What kind of decoys are you using? Mallard? i was thinking about painting some mallards and making them divers.
                          I use over sized mallards, over sized pintails, and green wing decoys. We do get quite a few teal. I lean heavily on my hens though. Most of the time I will put out most to all of my hens and just 1-3 drakes of each species. Hens of different species look a lot alike.

Comment

Lots of gads good amounts of widgeons and bw and gw teal couple red heads and canvasback but only a few mallards

Comment

The depth of the water has alot to do with it. Sounds like you are hunting a deeper tank getting nothing but diver ducks. Diver duck will dive all the way under to get food puddle ducks (mallards) will only tip to get food will not go all the way under water. Try finding a tank with a big flat less then 3' foot of water and you will get more of the puddle ducks you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                              X