Small Claims Court- Anyone been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    Everyone who gets a judgement from the JP court, or any court, should record it in the deed records of the county(s) where the defendant owns real estate. If he/she ever sells any real estate, the title company will see that you are paid of...with interest. So some day you, or your heirs, will likely get paid.
    he's smart, knows the law, AND can drop an elbow on your skull...
    Burnadell IS the total package... and no Im not talking about Burnadells package,... that's adair's job.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
      he's smart, knows the law, and can drop an elbow on your skull...
      burnadell is the total package ... And no im not talking about burnadells package,... That's adair's job.

fify!

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
        Thanks for all your help, it's good info.

Do you happen to know how long it takes to get a court date, generally speaking? I have an elk hunt from Sept 8-18 and don't want to be scheduled while I'm gone. Do you think I should just wait until I get back before filing?

Thanks!
        The September date shouldn't be a bother, it takes at least six weeks for it all to come together. I filed one in Baytown a couple months ago and I am still waiting on a court date.

Comment

Just remember on a judgement, it will last 10 years before it has to be renewed again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Just remember on a judgement, it will last 10 years before it has to be renewed again.
            This is somewhat correct. I believe that the judgement is forever, but it needs to be RE-FILED in the deed records again in 10 years. Perhaps an attorney will clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Everyone who gets a judgement from the JP court, or any court, should record it in the deed records of the county(s) where the defendant owns real estate. If he/she ever sells any real estate, the title company will see that you are paid of...with interest. So some day you, or your heirs, will likely get paid.
              That interest is no joke! I've seen a lot of short sales come through my old department that had cloudy titles. When people found out how much they owed versus what the original judgment was.... well, it was amusing, and their language was colorful!

Comment

We own rental property. You sound like an awesome tenant to have. I would take him to court for sure.

Comment

Sounds like my old Slumlord in the Woodlands

Comment

Thanks for all the input yall- One last question:

Should I deposit the check he sent? It's only a few hundred dollars, and I'd hate to unknowingly give consent by cashing the check or something. Thoughts?

Comment

I haven't crossed that bridge yet but that's a good question. Personally I wouldn't until I talked to an atty.

Comment

Just send Burnadell over to whoop the rest of your deposit out of him.

Comment

Should I deposit the check he sent? It's only a few hundred dollars, and I'd hate to unknowingly give consent by cashing the check or something. Thoughts?
                          I don't have the answer to that one, but you may be right about the possible consent...perhaps a real attorney can respond.

Comment

The one thing that helped me in a case like this is when i ever move into a place always and always take pics....
                            Take the dated news paper and put it in the pic so they know it was that date. And make sure you get everything... before moving anything into the house apt etc etc etc.....
                            Then when moving out .. do the same thing. CYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get a positive outcome on this.

Comment

I'd deposit it, but first I'd write "1 of 7" on the memo line

Comment

Does the check have any restricted endorsements on it, like "final payment" or "settlement"? If so, heck no. Most banking institutions don't accept restricted endorsements due to the potential legal mess, but sometimes they slip through the cracks.

Comment

Working...
                                X