Boykin or lab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boykin or lab

I need some help deciding what my new hunting dog is going to be. After losing my pup a few weeks back I feel like it's time to get a new dog and this time I want it to be my hunting dog as well as a pet for my girls. My dog I lost was about a 30lb dog which is why I wanted a smaller frame dog, the Boykin. But I just still keep looking at labs. We already have a 75lb lab that is a great family pet but scared to death of loud noises. If I did get a lab I would want a smaller frame 60ish lbs or less. Help me decide! Thanks

I have a lab that is about the size you are talking about and she is a great house dog but even better bird dog. By far the birdiest dog I've had. From the moment I get home in the afternoons she sits at the garage door waiting on me to take her out to train.

Comment

Boykin or lab

Mark, I know a guy that has a cross between a Boykin and a lab, pretty sweet dog. Not that that helps much but just thought I'd throw that out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
        Mark, I know a guy that has a cross between a Boykin and a lab, pretty sweet dog. Not that that helps much but just thought I'd throw that out there...
        That would be awesome.

Comment

Coming from someone that has never owned one but had had several labs, I would choose boykin. Small frame, versatile hunting machines. I have been wanting one for a while.

Comment

I had a Boykin. She was an awesome dog- great with family and kids. She was a natural athlete, beautiful and graceful in the water until the end. Boykins are friendly and loyal, but aren't labs. I'd own one again but would seriously consider a lab as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
              Coming from someone that has never owned one but had had several labs, I would choose boykin. Small frame, versatile hunting machines. I have been wanting one for a while.
              That's my thoughts too just been hard to pull the trigger

Originally posted by basschump View Post
              I had a Boykin. She was an awesome dog- great with family and kids. She was a natural athlete, beautiful and graceful in the water until the end. Boykins are friendly and loyal, but aren't labs. I'd own one again but would seriously consider a lab as well.

Thanks for making it harder. Lol

Comment

How about a Chessie?!
                We have a female that looks like she'll be right around the size you're looking for!

Comment

I'm heavily biased in my opinion but my vote would be a Lab. Boykins can make good hunting dogs no doubt.

Comment

If:
                    Family dog is priority #1... it's a draw. Labs are amazing but shed iif they will be inside

If hunting is priority #1.... nothing comes close to a quality breed lab

Some of the worst labs I've had were the best family dogs you could ask for, and the best labs I e had were priceless.

Hope that helps

Comment

Lab.

Comment

Boykin

Comment

I don't know much about bird dogs, but a trim black lab is about as pretty a dog as you'll find. I think Boykins are errr, ummm, uhhhh ugly

Comment

I have hunted with both, Boykins are great, however for a house pet hunter, I would go with a Lab. Anyway that is what I did.

Comment

Lab.

Comment

Working...
                              X