Whats the best Hog Gun setup??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best Hog Gun setup??

Ok guys I've been doing a lot of hog hunting lately and I'm always looking for an excuse to grab a new gun. I'm thinking I want to build a gun specifically for hog hunting.

First off i'm wanting a bolt gun. Not really interested in any auto type rigs. I see the usefulness of a semi-auto for taking down piggies but I'm partial to the simple and cheaper attraction a bolt gun offers.

Specifically I've been leaning to a Rem 700 AAC-SD or the SPS tactical in a .308 because of the possibility for suppressed fire. Any body here have a rig like this? I'd love to hear some feedback from someone who has a setup like this.

I know there's a lot of calibers that will out perform the .308 but I'm just thinking for all around ease of use and it being such a common caliber it might be a good choice. Also I'm not very informed as far a suppressing calibers goes but the thought of a suppressed hog gun has me intrigued. Won't the .308 suppress better than some of the faster rounds?

How many of you guys do your hog hunting suppressed?

i'd be open to any ideas you guys can offer. I've also been thinking something in a .270 caliber would be fun but I've haven't found a rig i really like yet.

I like the idea of having a shorter barrel for getting it around/in and out of a truck. Any downside to having a shorter barrel? Plus i'm pretty sure If im gonna slap a suppressor on this is going to be a must.

Just for funnsies let me see you guy's hog rigs.. How many of you guys hunt with bolt guns rather that the cheaters using autos?

I will say a Ar style 300 blk would be pretty sweet. Still, Im not converting yet.

shotgun and slugs

Comment

Ruger M77/44 since you don't want an auto. Nothing says hog thumper like multiple, well placed 44mag rounds. And, as an added bonus, you can get a wheel gun in a matching caliber to carry only type of ammo on a trip

Comment

I used to use my trusty Stevens 3030 with Remington 150grain hollowpoints. Laid 'em down in their tracks every time.

Comment

450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM w/thermal weaponry.

Suppressed won't matter if pig drops or squeels others in group will respond, usually by running away. If you wait they'll regroup even unsuppressed.

Comment

ruger hawk eye african/.375HH.

christmas is near.

Comment

suppressed 22 right behind the ear

Comment

I have always wanted a stainless Marlin lever gun in one of the 40+ cals. Add a low power, high res scope and you would have a night-time pig killing machine.

Comment

Marlin 338 express with a 2x7 leupold on top
                  thats the 338 on the left and a 308 on the right. It's not much fun to shoot on the bench but you don't feel it when you're actually shooting something. It's **** accurate and that 200 grain bullet hits em like a freakin civic. It's my go to hog gun

Comment

AR-10 with a 1-4x scope.

Comment

do what I did last year and bust one with a .375 h&h

Comment

My next bolt toy is gonna be a Ruger American Predator in .308. Im setting it up as a dedicated suppressor host.

Comment

You can do like I did and build a suppressed 30-30

Comment

1895 Marlin GBL .45-70 with hornady leverevolution

Comment

585 Hubel Express
                              [IMG][/IMG]
                              Last edited by hwhit; 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM. Reason: fix pic

Comment

Working...
                              X