Reloaded....how close to the lands do you get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloaded....how close to the lands do you get

Loading for my 308, I measured my lengt to the lands today and came up with 2.870. I currently load to 2.810. How far do y'all normally back off?

Im thinking I'll go 2.865 that's pretty close to see if it makes any difference

Most magazine boxes on short actions are 2.80. You have to make sure they fit in the magazine box and then go from there. Otherwise you will wind up with a single shot or two shot gun.

Comment

I'm at .025" off for my .260 shooting 130gr Berger VLDs. That seems to be a good fit for any other bullet I've tried too. I'm shooting a Remington 700 5R Gen 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
        I'm at .025" off for my .260 shooting 130gr Berger VLDs. That seems to be a good fit for any other bullet I've tried too. I'm shooting a Remington 700 5R Gen 2.

My last 260 liked the 130hvlds .09 off the lands. Curious how my new one will shoot them now that I think about it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

So I should clarify, the gun is a TC PH.

Comment

When I reloaded as a competition shooter i loaded mine right on them in fact I didn't crimp my case and loaded over the length and used the chamber to do the final seating of the bullet as I closed the bolt.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

I start at .005 off and work back till I find what the gun likes.

Comment

When I was doing accuracy workups the mag box was normally the limiting factor and often kept me from using the most accurate load length--and on workups, I started at .005" off the lands and worked back from there.

Comment

I like at least .010 off lands to prevent possibility of rifling pulling a bullet. This is one of the last steps in really shrinking your groups. Take your chamber length or mag length and load -.010,-.030,-.050,-0.070,-0.090 and see what shows the best groups you. Your rifle.

Comment

Obviously every gun is different, but most of mine have landed (no pun intended) 10-20 thousandths off the lands

Comment

How are you guys measuring where the lands are? Do you need to buy a special tool? I have been reloading for a bit and would like to start playing around with bullet depth.

Comment

Hornady lock n load tool is easiest for most people

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                          How are you guys measuring where the lands are? Do you need to buy a special tool? I have been reloading for a bit and would like to start playing around with bullet depth.
                          A friend let me borrow his hornady OAL tool. Found out I couldn't really use it on my TC because of the extracting rod. So that wouldn't work for me, but would be great for a bolt rifle.

I've tried the whole light crimp and pushing a UNLOADED round in to measure. It never worked for me, until last night. Had some casings I recently tumbled and it held the round just enough. Then put the bullet in extra long, slowly closed the breech. Did this a couple times and consistently came out to 2.870. So that's what I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by TxKronik View Post
                            When I reloaded as a competition shooter i loaded mine right on them in fact I didn't crimp my case and loaded over the length and used the chamber to do the final seating of the bullet as I closed the bolt.

kronik by Diamond
                            Usually .005-.010 but have done the above too.. My 7mm Sendero likes them like that.

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input

Comment

Working...
                              X