Get deer started on cotton seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get deer started on cotton seed

Going to pick up so cotton seed and want advice on how to get the deer to start eating it. They have never seen it before on our place. For those that feed it how much do you feed a year. I am on a small place with limited deer numbers so I will only have 2 wire baskets set up to feed them.

In for the info

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
      Going to pick up so cotton seed and want advice on how to get the deer to start eating it. They have never seen it before on our place. For those that feed it how much do you feed a year. I am on a small place with limited deer numbers so I will only have 2 wire baskets set up to feed them.
      I did nothing more than fill the hoop. No corn mix ...no nothing. They started eating withing a week. I've fed nothing but CS since. Im going through 1200 lbs of CS per month when they're hitting nit good.

Comment

how much can I haul on a 16ft flat bed with 4 foot walls. Just don't have a clue how it weighs out.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
          how much can I haul on a 16ft flat bed with 4 foot walls. Just don't have a clue how it weighs out.
          We got 5,200 lbs packed tight on the same size trailer. When we first put it out, we put corn at the base of the hoop were overflow cottonseed fell out. The deer picked up on it pretty quick. Once they start eating it, they will not stop.

Comment

Where is the closest place to New Ulm (north Colorado County) to pick it up? I've wanted to try it for years after reading everyone's reviews.

Comment

Our deer are eating it fast. At this rate I could put out 4k pounds per month.

Anyone have a better plan so the cotton seed doesn't pile up on the ground and get stomped in the dirt? Right now my deer bite it about 2' off the ground and pull through the wire. Every bite causes some to fall on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Our deer are eating it fast. At this rate I could put out 4k pounds per month.

Anyone have a better plan so the cotton seed doesn't pile up on the ground and get stomped in the dirt? Right now my deer bite it about 2' off the ground and pull through the wire. Every bite causes some to fall on the ground.
                Let it run near empty. Mine will eat it off the ground when it gets real low

Comment

Anywhere around DFW have Cottonseed? Saw online a place in McKinney mite. HM grain maybe?

Comment

Looking for bulk cottonseed around newcastle area also. Can't afford buying it by the sack

Comment

Just fill the basket and eventually they'll start. Once they do seems like they prefer it over the corn. Only negative is it has the same effect on cows. All it takes is one to get hooked on it and a regular feeder pen doesn't stand a chance. I'm having to reconfigure mine this year, as I have multiple cows that have aquired a preference for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X