Our own slice - "Los Setenta Ranch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenforu View Post
    Congrats to you on your purchase it is a great feeling to buy a place of your own. We just purchased a place outside of Mountain Home three months ago and it is so nice to call it ours. Enjoy
    Congrats! It is so awesome! Love pulling into my place, and knowing that my wife and I own this and can do as we please with it. It will be even greater once we have a place to stay on it and get to enjoy it with family, and friends.

Comment

Come on rain! Let it pour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

man i just saw this thread, the place looks beautiful. i know you have been hunting your butt off and looks like you are putting in the work up there, i hope a dandy shows up for you this year and i will be tuned in for the updates.

i have a similar "crossing" situation on one of my places and posted about it here a while back, someone recommended laying 3-4 telephone poles next to each other as a bridge, my whole area floods though so i dont know how long they would last. it wouldnt be easy to setup, just depends on how bad you want across that creek i guess sometimes i just cross it and change clothes on the other side

keep the updates coming man, and congrats again

edit..... if it came down to it, use that kayak!

Comment

You may consider what my county cousin did.

Comment

Well the wife, the dog, and I made a quick trip to the ranch. We finally ran into someone that owns land near us. He told us about everyone that owns land around us and seems like it is a fairly good group of people that look out for one another. He showed me a picture of a buck he killed a few years back that was a really nice 8 point close to the 130+ range. He stated that he had gained permission to hunt my place before it was sold and that we may have some pictures of him walking the power line taking down his stands. I hadn't seen any of his stands anywhere and all of my stuff was still in its place, so that makes me feel better. He also told me that my creek holds tons of mallards and they have tried to get them to come over to his dads pond to the east of me, but they always pile into my creek. He said that everyone around me runs cattle and it seemed like him and his brother are some of the only ones that hunt around me. Said you have to watch for the road hunters too. I think they typically shoot onto his dads place because of it being mainly pasture.

Finally was able to check my food plot that I had planted on 9/8, but it was a failure. Very spotty, but it took almost 2 weeks to get rain on it. Oh well I guess. Not really sure what my next option will be on that for this year.

Checked cams and not much different going on. Lots of piglets with their momma, 1 boar that has some giant nads on him, handful of does/fawns, 3 bucks, and coons. I think I'm going to break down and build a pen around my feeder to get the pigs to leave. And I need to I guess mow the food plot down or find a way to till it up. This year is just going to be a watching and scouting year at my place as I get a feel for everything. I can already tell that if I can give the deer a safe place with food, water, and cover, they will have no reason to go to other properties near me.

All in all, it was a good trip and we learned a lot by meeting an adjacent landowner.

Comment

Thoughts on this food plot design?

After speaking with an adjacent land owner it sounds like we have some people around us that have peeping eyes and will look for deer in the open to shoot. It's got me thinking about my feeder and food plot setup on the power line.

Thoughts on surrounding my plot with egyptian wheat with maybe a pinch point down to one area so the deer can't see the whole plot?

The X in the picture is where my popup is setup and I should have easy access from the SW. The circle is a tree that I have thought about sticking a stand in. I've been seeing that some guys create their own pinch points to get deer to enter/exit/walk down certain areas which makes killing them easier.

Thoughts on this?

Comment

Comment

Looks good man. I has the Egyptian wheat idea a few years ago but never followed through, I'd be interested to see how it turned out.

Comment

I really like your plan and looking forward to how it turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

I like the idea! Sun Hemp might be another good option for your buffer.

Also might want to check with who owns the easement and find out when they come through and mow it so they don't mow it down on you!

Comment

The total area is about 1.25 acres and the food plot will be close to .75 acres of that or more. Planning to give it a whirl this coming spring and see how it goes. I'm trying to make it where the deer won't bed up in the woods to the south of the food plot since I have the railroad just to the south of that area and access from that direction as well.

Comment

What’s the latest, Brandon?

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                            What’s the latest, Brandon?

Comment

Well the wife and I made a trip out to our place today. We hadn’t been out there since 9/30. Have lots more deer making their way into our place now. 2 for sure shooters and 1 that looks somewhat mature, but won’t score much. After seeing some of these bucks it got me thinking that I should have gotten my license for this year. May just have to spend the money and get after it. Rut should be kicking in pretty quick. And a good cold front coming this next weekend.

Made a mock scrape tree on the power line too. About 18 yards from the pop up. We will see how well it works. Watched a lot of YouTube videos on it and figured I’d give it a whirl.

Neighbors cows got through a hole in the fence somewhere and found my feeder, and corn pile. They’re going to find the whole this week and get it fixed up.

Also had a guy trespass on 10/15 in full camo with face mask and all. Was carrying a rifle around. I’m almost certain that it wasn’t rifle season at that point. Gonna give the warden a call tomorrow and get him in the loop.

All in all, it was a great trip! Looking at dropping power on our side of the front gate, adding some fencing in a section, fixing the road that’s somewhat washed out, and getting a camper so we can make over night stays. After we get the camper and power I’ll be able to make longer trips and hunt more.

Comment

Went up to my place on Sunday this past weekend and hunted for the whole day. Didn't see a thing. It was super windy, but it felt good to finally be in the blind on my own place. Had a few new pics of the big 9, but that was it. Feeder had a wiring problem and wasn't throwing. I got it fixed up and crossing my fingers it continues to throw until I make it back up. Refreshed some scrapes while I was there as well since the bucks had been hitting them at night. Hoping to make it back up this weekend or the next.

Comment

Working...
                                X