AR Optics Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR Optics Help

I've got a suppressor on the way (well, not yet) and I am starting to get the rest of my pig gun ready. 300 BO SBR.

I've always been a rifle scope kind of guy. Even on ARs. Even with supers, the longest shot i'll be taking is around 100 yds. BUT I do plan on hunting with subs out of some of my closer sets, about 30-40 yds. I know, I know. "Insufficient energy..." Tell that to the pig with a hole through his ear. Also, plan on a Sniper Light to extend my evening hunts a couple hours.

Anyways... After a bunch of googling, I am starting to wonder. What kind of accuracy can you expect from a red dot at 100ish yards? Holographic? Should I reconsider my rifle scope snobbery? I will hopefully be making a few follow up shots. For this reason, I am leaning towards the red dot. Am I totally off-base? I picture taking a shot at momma and trying to pick off a few little ones during the scramble. I imagine a rifle scope would be difficult in this scenario... Even with 1-4x magnification.

I'd appreciate any recommendations/suggestions of what to look at. Price range is about $300-400. What works for you guys that have a similar setup? Is there anything I am failing to consider?

Thanks!
    -Tim

I considered the same thing and started to put my EOTECH back on my AR. I used a Leupold VX-2 for a couple of years, but it really hindered my pig hunting at dark hours, even with a Laser Genetics designator on the rifle it was difficult to find the cross hairs. That's why I considered my old EOTECH.

Then I found that camofire had the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 with the illumintated plex reticle on it in 3-9X42 and it was on sale. It's mounted on my AR now and I couldn't be happier. I haven't been able to use it at night, but I have zoomed in on a few neighborhood cats for grins.

Comment

How good of a shooter are you?

Nothing wrong with a 1x optic for those distances.

Comment

I have a fixed 6x on my BLK. I'm not currently monkeying around with subsonics.

I shoot it out to 500 regularly, and have dropped a pig and a coyote at 300 and 310, one shot each.

With a red dot, if you can get 4 MOA, you're doing pretty good. I have an Aimpoint that has a 2MOA dot, and I don't think I've ever been able to hold it at that.

Getting multiple pigs in a melee is really a lot of luck involved. Your chances may improve if you're hunting in a big crop field, but one, and sometimes two are about all I ever manage at the Lease or Farm (lots of timber, and I hunt clearings). I do well with getting "two-fer" shots. Waiting on two of them suckers to line up.

Comment

I’ve got a VX 6 1.5-5 with a German #4 illuminated reticle on my 5.56 and a EOTech on my 300blk SBR. I really like the VX6 and it picks up light extremely well but the EOTech has its place for sure. I use the 5.56 for distance and the 300 for up close and personal. I can produce a good group with the EOTech and drive tacks with the VX6. All that being said if your not going out past 100 yards and you have decent eye sight, the EOTech would work great for your application. You can shoot it both eyes open and have a great field of view to keep an eye on the piggies that scatter

Comment

If you have an illuminated true 1-x power, note I said true 1x, not 1.5...it’s basically the same as a red dot.

I have a sig Tango 6 1-6 FFP on my .300blk and I really like it. I’m zeroed at 100y for supers, but I can also use my reticle holdovers to accurately shoot subs out to fair distance as well, with great accuracy. 1-6, 1-4, awesome options for BLK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
              I have a fixed 6x on my BLK. I'm not currently monkeying around with subsonics.

I shoot it out to 500 regularly, and have dropped a pig and a coyote at 300 and 310, one shot each.

With a red dot, if you can get 4 MOA, you're doing pretty good. I have an Aimpoint that has a 2MOA dot, and I don't think I've ever been able to hold it at that.

Getting multiple pigs in a melee is really a lot of luck involved. Your chances may improve if you're hunting in a big crop field, but one, and sometimes two are about all I ever manage at the Lease or Farm (lots of timber, and I hunt clearings). I do well with getting "two-fer" shots. Waiting on two of them suckers to line up.

that's why i like the 458 socom

Comment

With a 1-4 you have the versatility to turn it up for longer shots or ear shots while also being able to turn it down to 1x for multiple targets. If you have it on 1x it will be almost exactly like a red dot.

I have killed several animals from the same group lots of times with a scope set on 6x. And that was mostly in timber. I would stick with a scope if it were me. They have the avantage optically and they are more veratile

Comment

Just get a 2-7 or 3-9 and you are set

Comment

Fs Vortex Viper HS BDC 2-10x44

Great low end and higher end AR's

Comment

Consider that many top 3 gun shooters use a 1-4x, 1-6x, or 1-8x scope and can shoot lightning fast at close up distances, I don’t see you having a problem with a 1x or 2x base scope for hunting.

Comment

1-6 or 1-8 is where it’s at. Just whacked two out of the same set. 1st shot to the dome second on a running pig and he down. All inside 50 yards

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

All good info. Guess my mind is made up. Thanks, guys.

After reading the "NFA item in jail" thread, I'm cautiously optimistic that I may be getting my F1/F4 stamps sooner than anticipated. Engraving a lower and scope shopping this weekend

Comment

The Steiner 1-4 is just a little higher than the price range you listed, but it is a true 1x that has amazing glass and at the 1x, it shoots just like an Aimpoint. I shoot a suppressed 300 BLK for pigs and have it topped with a Leupold VX-6 1-6, but that is a little bit outside your listed price range. Both of those scopes are great for low light and will give you the performance you are looking for both during the day and night. You can save money and go with a scope that doesn't have a true 1x on the bottom end, but you won't be as happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                              The Steiner 1-4 is just a little higher than the price range you listed, but it is a true 1x that has amazing glass and at the 1x, it shoots just like an Aimpoint. I shoot a suppressed 300 BLK for pigs and have it topped with a Leupold VX-6 1-6, but that is a little bit outside your listed price range. Both of those scopes are great for low light and will give you the performance you are looking for both during the day and night. You can save money and go with a scope that doesn't have a true 1x on the bottom end, but you won't be as happy.
                              I saw a Steiner like the one you mention (I think) in the classifieds recently. Somebody beat me to it. I'm flexible price-wise. I subscribe to the idea "buy once. cry once"

Comment

Working...
                              X