Cattle per acre in South TX???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle per acre in South TX???

As a rule of thumb, I'd like to know how many cattle per acre would you put on a South Texas ranch around Freer? Place has never been grazed, has a stock tank, but don't plan on supplemental feeding.

Sent from my IPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Its not cows per acres.but acres per cow.

On a good year I'd say 1 cow for every 8 acres.......but what I've seen this year is closer to 15+ with NO SUPPLEMENT

Comment

Its not cows per acres.but acres per cow.

On a good year I'd say 1 cow for every 8 acres.......but what I've seen this year is closer to 15+ with NO SUPPLEMENT

X2

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Eagle View Post
        As a rule of thumb, I'd like to know how many cattle per acre would you put on a South Texas ranch around Freer? Place has never been grazed, has a stock tank, but don't plan on supplemental feeding.

Comment

1 cow to every 8-10 acres......

Comment

On my ranch the answer is the same as Encinal. Can you say O. At most 1 per 50 acres.
            Last edited by M16; 03-22-2011, 05:52 PM.

Comment

1 to 20 acres. All depends on what the ranch owner to raise, cows or deer.

Comment

The ranch Im hunting on is a working cattle ranch. They are running about 1 cow per 15 acres. I wish we didnt have any.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  The ranch Im hunting on is a working cattle ranch. They are running about 1 cow per 15 acres. I wish we didnt have any.

so.... a deer to 25 is the old "rule" for deer carrying capacity in S Texas unfed... and here we have something that weighs 8-12 times MORE per 15... lol

Comment

???

Comment

none--zero--nada000-no; but hell no

Comment

It depends on your goal. Do you want to run cattle for profit, taxes, or wildlife? How long do you want to keep them?

If for profit, then run 1 to 8, year round.

If for taxes, run 1 to 100, year round and rotate if possible.

For cattle to benefit wildlife, you either need 0 or a high intensity short duration plan stocking 1 to 5ac after the fawns have hit the ground. The best way is to bring in cattle is only when your habitat needs it. The high intensity short duration plan would need cattle from around June or July to October or November. The springtime should be dedicated to wildlife. During a drought, then you shouldn't have cattle if your habitat goal is to benefit wildlife.
                        Last edited by Peyton; 03-22-2011, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                          It depends on your goal. Do you want to run cattle for profit, taxes, or wildlife? How long do you want to keep them?

If for profit, then run 1 to 8, year round.

If for taxes, run 1 to 100, year round and rotate if possible.

For cattle to benefit wildlife, you either need 0 or a high intensity short duration plan stocking 1 to 5ac after the fawns have hit the ground. The best way is to bring in cattle is only when your habitat needs it. The high intensity short duration plan would need cattle from around June or July to October or November. The springtime should be dedicated to wildlife. During a drought, then you shouldn't have cattle if your habitat goal is to benefit wildlife.
                          Cattle for profit? Is this really possible? lol

Comment

I ask because the landowner where I lease has never had cattle on it before. He is going to let a cattleman lease it and he said he was bringing in 40 head. This place is only 380 acres. Our little tank probably won't last long without rain and 40 cows sucking it down. Oh well, it's mainly a hog hunting place anyways.

Comment

I am currently reading "The King Ranch" by Tom Lea. In it there is a rough quote by Captain King that says, "There's nothing wrong with South Texas that water would not cure". Guess it's still true. This book is a great read by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X