The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
    Out with the old and in with the new! This Jefferson's is a super smooth sippin bourbon, one of the best I've had this year and at $30.. very good!
    It's not bad, but I try to stay away from sourced bourbons (meaning someone else makes it, and they slap their own label on the bottle and ship it out). But to their credit, they don't hide it and admit it. Unlike most others. I would rather buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace for $18 who I know makes their own bourbon grain to glass. But if you like it, drink it!

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
      It's not bad, but I try to stay away from sourced bourbons (meaning someone else makes it, and they slap their own label on the bottle and ship it out). But to their credit, they don't hide it and admit it. Unlike most others. I would rather buy a bottle of Buffalo Trace for $18 who I know makes their own bourbon grain to glass. But if you like it, drink it!
      That makes sense but I didn't know any of the back story, I was going on taste alone. I'll have to try Buffalo trace again, it's been a year or too

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
        That makes sense but I didn't know any of the back story, I was going on taste alone. I'll have to try Buffalo trace again, it's been a year or too
        It's not so much knowing the backstory as reading the label and complying with Federal Laws. If it doesn't say "Distilled and Bottled By" it's sourced. Fake bourbons will use "Produced by" (like 1835) or just "Bottled by" (like fake Rebecca Creek. You are basically buying flavored and colored vodka, don't bash me, go through the tour and they will tell you)

Bourbon's legal definition varies somewhat from country to country, but many trade agreements require the name bourbon to be reserved for products made in the United States. The U.S. regulations for labeling and advertising bourbon apply only to products made for consumption within the United States; they do not apply to distilled spirits made for export.[18] Canadian law requires products labeled bourbon to be made in the United States and also to conform to the requirements that apply within the United States. But in countries other than the United States and Canada, products labeled bourbon may not adhere to the same standards. For example, in the European Union, products labeled as bourbon are not required to conform to all of the regulations that apply within the United States, though they still must be made in the U.S.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[18] must be:

Produced in the United States[19]
        Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[20]
        Aged in new, charred oak containers[20]
        Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[20]
        Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[20]
        Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[21]
        Bourbon has no minimum specified duration for its aging period.[22] Products aged for as little as three months are sold as bourbon.[23] The exception is straight bourbon, which has a minimum aging requirement of two years. In addition, any bourbon aged less than four years must include an age statement on its label.[24][25]

Bourbon that meets the above requirements, has been aged for a minimum of two years, and does not have added coloring, flavoring, or other spirits may (but is not required to) be called straight bourbon.[26]

Bourbon that is labeled as straight that has been aged under four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.

Bourbon that has an age stated on its label must be labeled with the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle (not counting the age of any added neutral grain spirits in a bourbon that is labeled as blended, as neutral-grain spirits are not considered whiskey under the regulations and are not required to be aged at all).

Bourbon that is labeled blended (or as a blend) may contain added coloring, flavoring, and other spirits (such as un-aged neutral grain spirits); but at least 51% of the product must be straight bourbon.

Comment

When the Astros are over and the females have stolen my TV remote I just have to step up my game. Kentucky Vintage and Kenny Powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Makers Mark, George Dickel or Evan Williams.

Comment

Been on an EH Taylor kick lately, found some Eagle Rare that was actually at market price ($30)!!!

Rittenhouse Rye makes a **** good old fashioned

Comment

Picked up a bottle of Jefferson's yesterday. Pretty impressed so far!

Comment

I'm A Weller man !

Comment

Feel like I hit the jackpot this evening!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow

Want to sell/ trade one?

Comment

When you’re stocking your home bar with some Kentucky classics (though not always from Kentucky), these are the best bottles of bourbon to consider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Wow

Want to sell/ trade one?
                          No chance! He did still have 10 liters and a case of fifths when I left. Might start checking as he just got his shipment so everyone should be getting it.

Comment

Anyone try Giant/Texas Boubon from Houston?

Comment

Originally posted by Phdan View Post
                              Anyone try Giant/Texas Boubon from Houston?
                              Had in my hand the other day walking around specs. Just couldn't pull the trigger on it. It's sourced, and I couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                                No chance! He did still have 10 liters and a case of fifths when I left. Might start checking as he just got his shipment so everyone should be getting it.
                                Picked up another bottle of eagle rare today and they said their truck should be in on Thursday for the Weller 12. Now I'm on the hunt for Stagg and Elmer T Lee... I know, I know but I like to dream

As a side note
                                Anyone want to do a bottle trade?
                                Last edited by hooligan; 06-27-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X