Skid Loader boom/crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skid Loader boom/crane

Howdy GS, I'm board and lonely so I'm going to do a little fabrication and make a boom pole / crane type quick-attachment for a skid steer loader...figured I'd share the process again. I need something for picking things up high, and also for plucking stuff up with a little more reach.

Starting off the quick attach plate with heavy 12" C channel. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375401718.559182.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	24978377

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375402708.280437.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	24227091
    If you ever need to remove lots of metal quickly, I recommend one of these 16grit grinding cups. Make sure you have your eye-pro on, stuff goes everywhere.

Comment

In, I need one too.

Comment

Cool! Tuned in

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375403768.341363.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24227098
          1/2"x 3"x 10" strap for the top mounts. I have seen and repaired 3/8" top mounts a couple of times, so I feel they are too thin for heavy work. My old plasma cutter doesn't like cutting anything bigger then 3/8, so I normally just double it up

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375405918.550450.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	24227110
            Too mounts cleaned up, beveled and getting tacked in place.

Anyone have any vise grips they don't need

Comment

What brand dry saw is that and would you buy it again my evolution raptor disappeared last week and I'm in the market for a new one looking for reviews of other saws

Comment

Originally posted by locoengineer View Post
                What brand dry saw is that and would you buy it again my evolution raptor disappeared last week and I'm in the market for a new one looking for reviews of other saws
                It's a Milwaukee. I bought it a little over a year ago on recommendation from a buddy who is a race car fabricator. I LOVE IT!!! Per instructions, I only use it on mild steel. It cut that 1/2 bar in 8 seconds . I bought it from Grizzly Industrial.

Comment

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375408310.278535.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	24227119
                  Ok, it's getting dark and my fun meter is pegged. I'm going to call it for the night and think about this boom. This pipe is 4.5" O.D; and as it is, it's 9.5' long. I'm very concerned with it being too long. Leverage is an incredible force...and very hard for me to calculate I think I may cut down to 7' or 8'.

Any thoughts?

Comment

A 3/8"X4" ridgeback would stiffen it some. But my 1st thought is if you need that much strength that you're gonna lift the back wheels off the ground with anything heavy enough to require it. That leverage works on your "counterweight" too. I'm thinkin 7" will get you home with a stiffback, or better yet put it underneath to mount braces and lift points.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      A 3/8"X4" ridgeback would stiffen it some. But my 1st thought is if you need that much strength that you're gonna lift the back wheels off the ground with anything heavy enough to require it. That leverage works on your "counterweight" too. I'm thinkin 7" will get you home with a stiffback, or better yet put it underneath to mount braces and lift points.
                      I like your style Dale. I figure I can put a few different lifting points down the shaft incase I need to lift something really heavy…that way I can keep it closer to the machine. That New Holland is about 8k or so, and I added 425lbs of counterweights to it a while back. (Purchased two salvaged weights from the CAT dealer, I think they went on a small articulating loader)

It will have plenty of support welded on. Just wondering how often I will rely tip it forward. :/

I’ll try to get more done tomorrow.

Comment

We have two Case 95XTs, I think they are a pretty comparable weight class, but I'm not sure and they don't have any "extra" weight. I know long skinny pallets of stone sure act different than the same weight in a wider pallet. Hard to say from one machine to the next. One thing about it, you can leave it long and cut some off if you don't like it!

I always over-build....you seem to come from the same engineering "school".
                        Last edited by Dale Moser; 08-01-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

In......

Im interested to see what that channel is going to do when you pick something up with the tip of that boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            We have two Case 95XTs, I think they are a pretty comparable weight class, but I'm not sure and they don't have any "extra" weight. I know long skinny pallets of stone sure act different than the same weight in a wider pallet. Hard to say from one machine to the next. One thing about it, you can leave it long and cut some off if you don't like it!

I always over-build....you seem to come from the same engineering "school".
                            I had t look them up, your machines are about a ton heavier. The counter weights make a big difference in stability with a load…but don’t try driving up a trailer without an attachment on the front ..hehehhe oops

I think I will leave it long…and whack it later if need be.

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                            In......

Im interested to see what that channel is going to do when you pick something up with the tip of that boom.
                            The webbing on the C Channel is substantial. I need to remember to take a close up shot. Either way, just in the beginning phase and it will not be the only piece of steel there…still have to do something for the bottom mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                              Either way, just in the beginning phase and it will not be the only piece of steel there…still have to do something for the bottom mounts.
                              I hear ya man.....If it's anything like the grapple bucket....Im sure it be plenty stout when you are done.

Comment

Working...
                              X