Lake Waco hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Waco hunting

I got drawn for hunting whitetail on lake Waco this year. Has anyone hunted it before and is anyone hunting it this year???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be ready for the crowd during bow season.

Comment

Thought I would just add on to this old thread rather than starting a new one.

Have been doing a little hang and hunt on some of Sleepy Joe's grounds around Waco. What few acorns trees that are dropping are holding many animals. I'm sure weekends are crowed but for the most part in the areas I have been focusing on, weekday pressure is minimal........except for the full blaze orange crossbow hunter yesterday, that whistled as he walked....ha ha

A few pictures of my set ups and the herds of does I have found to date.

God Bless
      Rwc
      Attached Files

Comment

Lots of freaks around the lake!

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          Lots of freaks around the lake!
          Yes sir, and only need one to show up during daylight............ha ha

I have cut two separate big tracks after the last rains in the area I am focusing on and hope to get a glimpse of what made them before end of the month.

Have a good one.

Rwc

Comment

Day 2 was a tad slower than day 1. Saw deer easing in and caught eyes as I was easing out, but no deer sightings while on stand.

Back at it tomorrow if the wind stays true.

Rwc

Comment

I guess I'll keep this thread active, deer have moved later and later as the moon has grown, but seems they are moving a little earlier now. Located a shooter a week or two ago and just have not been lucky yet, but will stay after him until end of the allotted archery time. Will have a good wind starting tomorrow to get in and out by boat with out him knowing. I never hunt public on the weekends but might have to roll up my sleeves and rub elbows with them this weekend.

Rwc

Comment

If the weather is right........go get em!

Comment

Looking for a little advice. This is my first year to hunt during bow season and I am also hunting around lake waco. I have had little luck getting anywhere close to a deer. I’m not looking for a trophy and will be happy to take a doe to fill the freezer. I just can’t seem to find anything the deer have been feeding on. Acorns are no where to be found, and I just can’t seem to figure it out (new bow hunter frustration coming out). Any advice on what the deer around lake waco are feeding on?

Comment

Originally posted by CentxKSS View Post
                    Looking for a little advice. This is my first year to hunt during bow season and I am also hunting around lake waco. I have had little luck getting anywhere close to a deer. I’m not looking for a trophy and will be happy to take a doe to fill the freezer. I just can’t seem to find anything the deer have been feeding on. Acorns are no where to be found, and I just can’t seem to figure it out (new bow hunter frustration coming out). Any advice on what the deer around lake waco are feeding on?
                    Don't get frustrated, public land hunting is tough. You are correct, acorns are thin this year around the area I have been focusing on, but with USACE Waco, a hunter can hand corn an area for deer as long is it is by hand and not a feeder style approach.

Play the wind and "STILL" hunt, stalking does not work! Invest in a very light weight lock-on and a few light weight climbing sticks. Attach the two to a backpack for carrying in.

Do not over look the areas close to the parking areas, because 99% of the others do! Lastly, preseason scouting is key on public ground. Scout multiple areas and be prepared to relocate if other hunters beat you to your spot.

Rwc

Comment

RWC, do you have to purchase a permit to hunt lake Waco during bow season? I live in China Spring and was looking at using this as another place to hunt when I can't get to the lease? Thanks in advance.

Comment

RWC, thanks for the advice! Trying to learn all I can this season, so this is greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by CentxKSS View Post
                          RWC, thanks for the advice! Trying to learn all I can this season, so this is greatly appreciated!

RWC is spot on. Right after the season is over is another good time to scout. Trails are worn in well. Also, deer begin to pattern people, just like people try to pattern deer. They begin to expect people coming from certain directions in areas that get a lot of pressure. And watch for them. Then get up and walk away. Sometimes approaching a spot from a different direction can pay off big time. Sometimes that means taking a longer route to the spot. As stated, open public lands in Texas are some of the toughest hunts you will find. Some of the draw hunts, like TP&W has, are a little easier pending the hunt, deer population, and location/rules set in place. Federal lands like this (ACE), National Forest, and some Fed WMA (some in the TP&W draw), can be tough hunts too.

The best to ya.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-26-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            RWC is spot on. Right after the season is over is another good time to scout. Trails are worn in well. Also, deer begin to pattern people, just like people try to pattern deer. They begin to expect people coming from certain directions in areas that get a lot of pressure. And watch for them. Then get up and walk away. Sometimes approaching a spot from a different direction can pay off big time. Sometimes that means taking a longer route to the spot. As stated, open public lands in Texas are some of the toughest hunts you will find. Some of the draw hunts, like TP&W has, are a little easier pending the hunt, deer population, and location/rules set in place. Federal lands like this (ACE), National Forest, and some Fed WMA (some in the TP&W draw), can be tough hunts too.

The best to ya.
                            Very wise man here……

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                              RWC, do you have to purchase a permit to hunt lake Waco during bow season? I live in China Spring and was looking at using this as another place to hunt when I can't get to the lease? Thanks in advance.
                              Waco is free to archery hunters during October only. After October only permitted hunters allowed that applied and got drawn.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X