New to Protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Protein

This is my first experience with using protein pellets. I know it's a little late in the game, but I was only given permission about a month ago to hunt this 600 acre Leon County property after busting my tail there since April. Shortly thereafter, I had 3 free choice barrels set up and filled with Antlermax mixed with corn initially. Once used to the pellets, I cut the corn out.

Two are located along some right of ways through some thicker woods. The third is in a pocket of an open pasture with thick woods within 25yds on 3 sides. The 2 on the ROW's got hammered and were empty within a week and a half. In another week and a half they were emptied again. The other, has barely been touched. Now the activity at the two that had been getting hit hard has nearly ceased. I am assuming that since it is getting to be later in the growing season and they aren't needing the protein. Anyone else seeing a drop in protein consumption?

I usually only see a decline when they get into hard horns. Make sure you have water near the protein. They need the water while chowing down on the protein. Every bit helps. Better late than never

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
      I usually only see a decline when they get into hard horns. Make sure you have water near the protein. They need the water while chowing down on the protein. Every bit helps. Better late than never
      Yes, they all have stock tanks nearby so water is not an issue.

Comment

Lots of factors. I do know that some of our feeders that were routinely hit have also been backed off of. Deer will move around and change where they eat throughout the protein season. Feed taste could change as well. Heat could be another factor on consumption as well.

Yes it slowed down and now that the does have fawned I see it going back up again.

Comment

The feeder that was not getting hit much has a crew of three does that visit regular and as of July 20th one was still way preggo. There were at least 6 different bucks hitting the other 2. Cards have not been pulled after the activity decreased.

Comment

I also hunt 600 acres in Leon on county and they are still hammering ours!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarBoggers View Post
              I also hunt 600 acres in Leon on county and they are still hammering ours!
              Hmm, which brand and part of the county? We are in the NW portion
              Last edited by Fargus; 07-29-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Marquez/Jewett

Comment

Did you mix the bottom half with corn or the whole thing. Did you quit adding corn? Could be part of the factor!

Comment

Originally posted by jivey_21 View Post
                    Did you mix the bottom half with corn or the whole thing. Did you quit adding corn? Could be part of the factor!
                    The first fill, I just put one bag of corn in the bottom mixed as close to 50/50 as possible. The second, was nothing but pellets. So they have killed it both ways.

Comment

I have found that generally in late July to Mid August, the deer usually slow down on the protein consumption. I think a lot of that has to do with the heat and their activity level.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                        I have found that generally in late July to Mid August, the deer usually slow down on the protein consumption. I think a lot of that has to do with the heat and their activity level.
                        Total opposite for me, everything is dried up and the deer are hammering the protein right now.

Comment

Deer are killing my protein right now, Putting corn in there brings in the coons and they pull a lot of the protein out and it falls to the ground to get to the corn. Did you have hogs getting to it or do you have panels around the feeders?

Comment

Depends on rain. Lots of natural browse, our protein slows way down. Which is not a bad thing for the wallet!!

Comment

I am in northwest Leon county as well. Near Jewett/Robbins area- The deer still are hitting the protein daily but I changed feeder types and the coons can't easily get to protein so that helped slow down consumption but the deer are eating less than they were in May. I think the does had their little ones and dont come as often to feeder. It seems I have about 6 regular does instead of 10 does that showed up when pregnant in May eating.

Comment

Working...
                              X