Pedestal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedestal

I want to preface this by saying I’ve never done any type of wood working projects in my life (other than nailing a couple boards together as a kid).
    Anyhow, I got the bright idea of building wood pedestals for a couple mounts my wife and I have coming from the taxidermist here soon. My main reason for wanting to build them was pretty man ch the cost... I’m a cheapo when it comes to just about everything and when I can save some money, I’m all for it, and thus, this project came in my head. I learned a TON about what to do and what NOT to do, so hopefully my next one will work out a bit smoother.

I started by building my frame out of 2x2s, and when I was finished I thought this wasn’t going to be bad after all. That was my first mistake thinking that...

Then my lack of experience came into play as I was going to cover the outside with 1x6 white pine. I’d made and drawn up my dimensions based off covering with 1x6 boards, and realized when I went to cover the frame that a 1x6 isn’t truly 1x6, it’s 1x5 1/2!!!!! [emoji35]
    So, I now had 1 1/2” gaps to fill on all my corners. I loaded up the pedestal and to the lumber yard I went to see what kind of options I had. After a bit of looking, we finally found some door trim that didn’t look to bad on the edges and I went with it.

So all in all, for a rookie carpenter I thought it turned out okay. Still have to sand, stain, and put some habitat on before I stick the mount on it, but will update with finished product and even throw in pics of the next one once I get it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really cool. One thing would make it better. Install a hidden compartment to hide stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
      Really cool. One thing would make it better. Install a hidden compartment to hide stuff.
      This^^^^^

Looks like about 10 cubic feet of storage inside of it. You could easily get more than 20 .50 cal ammo cans inside that thing!

cricman

Comment

I built one very similar for a mount I had done. Added wheels to the bottom to move it easier and a door. The door was recommended by the taxi in the event it wanted to tip one way or the other we could add weight.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          Still have to trim out a couple corners, so may try to add a trap door. I had considered it when I was building it in the beginning, then the idea got scrapped when everything didn't line up.

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          I built one very similar for a mount I had done. Added wheels to the bottom to move it easier and a door. The door was recommended by the taxi in the event it wanted to tip one way or the other we could add weight.
          I like the wheels idea! May have to look into that

Comment

Looking good...you will enjoy that for years to come.

Comment

Working...
            X