Editing photos question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing photos question

So I am currently getting more and more into photography and I feel like I need to start focusing more on the editing part of the process since realizing how much of a role it can play in "perfect the photo". I believe I have access to light room but would have to verify.

That being said I was curious on what major changes do y'all usually find yourselves making on photos? Or does it change depending on the photo? Any tips or tricks to editing? Helpful videos?

I use to be a huge Snapseed fan but realized how saturated I was making my photos. I still ran a few through the app but toned down the effects quite a bit and was curious on y'alls thoughts and suggestions and if its still a usefull editing tool on the go.

Thanks

Before

After

Before (i missed on the focus a hair)

After (I felt like I hit this one to hard and ruined the editing on it) thoughts?

Before

After

Last edited by 150class; 01-23-2017, 09:55 PM.

Editing photos question

Was shooting with a Sony a6000 & Sony 70-200mm f4

Comment

Beautiful photography to get more check here.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Burton View Post
        Beautiful photography to get more check here.
        Thank you sir

Comment

Whether you're using a cell phone or a real camera, you really need to edit a photo to make it look its best. You can definitely do too much and ruin it too though. You just have to edit a bunch to learn what works best for you.

I highly recommend shooting in RAW (in your big camera) and then editing with Lightroom. Lr is non-destructive, meaning that your edits don't affect your original RAW image. That never changes, so you can go back and redo the edit from the original without losing any detail or quality. RAW files also have all the detail that your camera captured, while JPEGs are compressed. Compressed means that some of the pixels were thrown away, so you lose a little of the original detail in the process.

If you want to get serious about it, spend the money on Lr. It's worth it. Very easy to use once you get familiar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Whether you're using a cell phone or a real camera, you really need to edit a photo to make it look its best. You can definitely do too much and ruin it too though. You just have to edit a bunch to learn what works best for you.

I highly recommend shooting in RAW (in your big camera) and then editing with Lightroom. Lr is non-destructive, meaning that your edits don't affect your original RAW image. That never changes, so you can go back and redo the edit from the original without losing any detail or quality. RAW files also have all the detail that your camera captured, while JPEGs are compressed. Compressed means that some of the pixels were thrown away, so you lose a little of the original detail in the process.

If you want to get serious about it, spend the money on Lr. It's worth it. Very easy to use once you get familiar with it.
            Just what I was hoping to hear!

And I confirmed that the fiancé does use Light Room so I will have acces to that editing tool.

I figured it would a a practice makes perfect and appreciate the input sir

Comment

There's all kinds of how-to stuff on YouTube and elsewhere to help you with Lr. More than you'll ever need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

This^^^

I recently discovered the Nik software/plugin collection (free download) that pairs with LR and photoshop, and so far it appears to be quite useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with Shane. At some point, you will probably find yourself repeating the same editing over and over. That's where Lr custom presets come in handy. You'll eventually develop a collection of your own presets and have a pretty good idea when to use each (although experimentation is sometimes needed). I am learning more about Lr all the time. And the more I learn, the more time I save. But I'm pretty sure there's still a whole iceburg that I have yet to discover.

Comment

Messed around in light room some for a few quick edits I observed watching a few YouTube tutorials.

I know everyone builds/developed their own taste when it comes to edits but would like to hear any suggestions or thoughts! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you got the hang of it quickly. Photos look great!

Comment

Wonderful. What photo retouching did you use?

Comment

Looks like you’re getting the hang of it. Lightroom and Nik are awesome and help speed up your workflow immensely. The next step would be learning the ins and outs of Photoshop, which allows you to really fine tune some things.

The best advice I can give you or anyone starting out with LR is to not overtweak any of the settings in Lightroom. I always set them to what I think looks best, then let off by 10% or so.

Checkout this site. It’s got a ton of useful tutorials and their online courses are awesome if your willing to spend $200 on them.

The pics look good. Keep em comming.

Comment

editing makes such a big difference!

Comment

Working...
                            X