Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's for the info

Comment

How long per pound does it typically take the way you cook it?

Comment

You've got my mouth waterin' just looking at the pictures and reading the write up. Thanks!

Comment

I'm a science guy and I LOVE the amazing ribs website.

Thanks for a great post.

Comment

Good post... wish I had the pit going now.

Comment

In for reference later, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                1. I like to cook choice briskets between 12-14 lbs.
                2. I look for a brisket that is uniform is size and thickness, paying close attention to the thickness of the flat all the way throughout the brisket. A brisket with a uniform flat throughout will help ensure that the flat is cooked evenly and will eliminate dry spots as well as tough spots.
                3. I like for the brisket to be flexible. Try to bend the point back to the flat, the further it bends, the less fat cap there is on top, and ultimately you’re getting more meat for you money and less fat.
                Originally posted by huntingtx View Post
                This is great. Thanks. Any tips on picking out the "right" brisket at the store? Seems like at HEB the ones I get are always loaded with fat. Any way to get around that? I like them leaner.
                Here ya go.

Comment

Originally posted by CSF45 View Post
                  How long per pound does it typically take the way you cook it?
                  Normally takes an hour to hour 15 minutes per pound, but DO NOT cook your brisket by time. Follow the information above and just pre plan on hour and a half per pound, that way if your brisket finishes early you can just leave it wrapped and stick it in a cooler and let it rest. I've let my briskets rest in my small yeti for up to 6 hours and when I pull them out they are still piping hot and ready to roll.

Comment

Nr
                    Originally posted by TC View Post
                    Normally takes an hour to hour 15 minutes per pound, but DO NOT cook your brisket by time. Follow the information above and just pre plan on hour and a half per pound, that way if your brisket finishes early you can just leave it wrapped and stick it in a cooler and let it rest. I've let my briskets rest in my small yeti for up to 6 hours and when I pull them out they are still piping hot and ready to roll.
                    I like letting them rest in a Yeti as well. Only thing I would mention is that the heat might slightly warp the Yeti lid. It will still seal just fine, looks a little funny. My brother warped my brand new 65qt a few years back.

This is a great thread. My Dad and uncle have been cooking briskets for family events and competition for over 30 years and have passed on some great "know-how". Although a slightly different approach, you can't go wrong with the details above. Great advice.

Comment

Good, detailed info. Thanks!

Comment

I was in Costco today, they had USDA Choice brisket for $2.59 a pound and USDA Prime for $2.89 a pound. After reading about everyone here struggling to smoke a good brisket, I was leery of spending $50 on a brisket and it come out tough, dried out, or nasty.

Comment

would it be safe to assume that you might do the same type of write up on your outstanding looking RIBS?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I smoked one Sunday following your directions and it turned out awesome. I know this because there was none left!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              I was in Costco today, they had USDA Choice brisket for $2.59 a pound and USDA Prime for $2.89 a pound. After reading about everyone here struggling to smoke a good brisket, I was leery of spending $50 on a brisket and it come out tough, dried out, or nasty.
                              USDA choice was $2.99 a pound at Costco on Friday. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one and smoke it using his instructions after how mine turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                                These days at those prices I would jump all over them! Especially a Prime for $2.89!

Comment

Working...
                                X