No announcement yet.

Brisket: A Detailed "How To"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for taking your time to write this up. I have been doing pretty good with ribs and wanted to try a brisket. I know what Im doin Sunday.

Comment

Too bad briskets are going for almost $4 a pound around here or I would cook one this weekend.

Pork has hit the roof as well. Almost $3 per pound on the butts.

Any leads on better prices?

dp

Comment

3.48$ a pound at Costco for Choice 2.98 a pound at HEB for Select. It hurts

Comment

Good write up. Of course there are many who do it a little different. Mine isn't much different but there are 3 things that I do differently.

1. I put the rub on the night before and put in refrigerator. I do not bring up to room temp, it goes straight from fridge to smoker. Main 2 reasons are briskets are large cuts of meat. It will take a long time to get to room temp. Second reason is that cold meats absorb more smoke than warm meats.

2. I always cook fat side down. You quoted amazing ribs web site in your post so go there and read about fat side up or down. Even there he talks about the meat fibers being too tight for the grease to go inside the brisket. All you're doing with fat side up is coating the outside with the grease. I'd rather put fat side down and protect the meat from the hot grates and let the grease drip away.

3. I also don't wrap with foil. That's more a personal choice and I don't knock it for those who do. I just personally don't like to open the lid until I'm ready to take the meat off.

Again just a few differences and it really doesn't matter too much they all produce great briskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
            where are you probing for your IT to know when its at 170 and time to wrap?
            Probe the thickest part of the flat.

Comment

Thanks for posting this....... My briskets never turn out like I think they should, going to use this as a guide for the next one I do.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Comment

Absolutely outstanding writeup...I've been thoroughly educated and will be trying this in the near future

Comment

Thanks guys! Glad to help!

Comment

Very informative! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

thanks for the great and useless info....

now I need to G_O_M_A and finish up my uds...

Comment

This is great. Thanks. Any tips on picking out the "right" brisket at the store? Seems like at HEB the ones I get are always loaded with fat. Any way to get around that? I like them leaner.

Comment

Can we get this as a sticky in the recipe section ???? Sure would be nice.

Thanks for taking time to draft and post this

Comment

great write up

Comment

Working...
                                X