Feeding Protien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the suggestions.

To answer some questions. I get my antlermax two places near my lease on the way at a feed store in Livingston and the other is near where I get my corn soybean mix in Waller. In East Texas I think 5 bags in two weeks is not bad different then West Texas for sure. But I’m really just getting started with it so we’ll see.

I have most pictures of them feeding at night so I want to stop during season so hopefully they will feed on my corn soybean mix which is 16% protein (which they like)during hunting hours which is from my spin feeders. The feeder is 55 gallon drum on 4 legs with the expensive motor and timer on a solar panel and battery.

Comment

I get the corn soybean mix from Waller as well. What feed store do you use in Livingston?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
        We start in February and end at hard horn. If you have a big heard get a second job
        That’s so true! It’s amazing how much they eat.

We typically feed about the same time frame, winter to mid summer.

Comment

We keep it out all year long.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
            We feed year round so it's always there when they need it. Right now we're going through about 6 tons every 3 weeks of antlermax on 1700 acres in the hill country.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
            A $2,700 protein bill every 3 weeks! Dang, that's $47,000/year for just 1700 acres in protein, alone if they kept up that pace!
            Last edited by Sackett; 06-06-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

One other thing I forgot to mention about feeding year round is the fact that they don't eat much during deer season. However during the rut our mature bucks will usually drop by a few times each week just for a quick snack. Usually it is during the night but it helps keep them in the area and we know they are still alive. I killed both of my bucks last year when they were slipping out of the protein pen early morning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hoghunter101 View Post
                Thanks for all the suggestions.

To answer some questions. I get my antlermax two places near my lease on the way at a feed store in Livingston and the other is near where I get my corn soybean mix in Waller. In East Texas I think 5 bags in two weeks is not bad different then West Texas for sure. But I’m really just getting started with it so we’ll see.

I have most pictures of them feeding at night so I want to stop during season so hopefully they will feed on my corn soybean mix which is 16% protein (which they like)during hunting hours which is from my spin feeders. The feeder is 55 gallon drum on 4 legs with the expensive motor and timer on a solar panel and battery.
                What is the place you get the soy bean and corn mix at in Waller? How much does it cost a bag?

Comment

Antler collector
                  Livingston feed and farm supply across from the Exon on old 190.

Best price is at Haney feed store in Waller across from Waller drier where I buy soybean corn mix.
                  Last edited by Hoghunter101; 06-06-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Anyone know where i can get soy bean / corn mix in Victoria, or along 59 on the way from Houston?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                      What is the place you get the soy bean and corn mix at in Waller? How much does it cost a bag?
                      Waller Rice Drier inc. feed store in Waller call them tell them Scott sent you.

936-372-3624

Look em up on internet for list of feeds and prices.

Comment

We feed ours year round now but we are using timed feeders now also. It keeps them from feeding all night long and fe3ding more during the day time. We have a few people around us that feed free choice. So I figure they can feed them all night and I’ll feed them during the day.

Comment

Protein feeding is a process, its not cheap but we go through (in dry times) 8 ea. 2,000 lbs feeders in a month to 2 months. I don't understand why would folks try to feed protein in a timed system only allowing for a few deer to eat it. When you put cameras on free flowing protein feeders, several different deer groups will visit the pens several times a night. If you are feeding timed feeds then only a few of the deer will get any and most of the time if dew is heavy making the protein not to be eaten, waste.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                            Protein feeding is a process, its not cheap but we go through (in dry times) 8 ea. 2,000 lbs feeders in a month to 2 months. I don't understand why would folks try to feed protein in a timed system only allowing for a few deer to eat it. When you put cameras on free flowing protein feeders, several different deer groups will visit the pens several times a night. If you are feeding timed feeds then only a few of the deer will get any and most of the time if dew is heavy making the protein not to be eaten, waste.
                            I have different groups come & eat all hours of the day. I like timed ,because it eliminates the waste from coons at night. We go through 1000 lbs give or take on conditions every 3 weeks or so. The deer can eat all they want from 7 to 7. Again ,I am not trying to grow horns, just helping out the herd and keeping some local. I go to the ranch every 2 -3 weeks & doing this makes sure I have feed in my feeders constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                              There is no arguing that free choice is better than timed. No arguing that fact. BUT, a lot of us don't have the wallet to support that. Back when I was feeding free choice (1300 acres low fence, hill country) they were going through over 6,000 lbs in less than 3 weeks. I was feeding January-September. Finally just decided I'm not THAT mad at them to spend that kind of $$. The timers can work well if done "right".

That being said, if I could afford it I'd go free choice every time.

Comment

For the best results, I always recommend feeding protein starting in January until September. Natural vegetation is always better IMO though and typically costs a lot less if managed right. Deer typically consume 4% of their body weight per day, every day.

Comment

Working...
                                X