No announcement yet.

Bent up the trailer jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m up here north of Dallas in McKinney.
    Attached Files

Comment

When I did that to one of my trailers I used a ratchet strap as a winch to pull it back mostly straight. (Make a few loops towards the top of the jack the attach to trailer and crank away)

This got it somewhat straight, but the jack was trashed, so I removed it and welded a better one on the frame along the drivers side of the tongue.

I went with a removable pivoting model, but one like Dale pictured would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
        This is one reason I never loan out trailers.
        And the reason I want to fix it properly. I owe it back to him in like it was condition, or better.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          When I did that to one of my trailers I used a ratchet strap as a winch to pull it back mostly straight. (Make a few loops towards the top of the jack the attach to trailer and crank away)

This got it somewhat straight, but the jack was trashed, so I removed it and welded a better one on the frame along the drivers side of the tongue.

I went with a removable pivoting model, but one like Dale pictured would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          What he said.
          The ratchet strap will get you close enough.

Comment

Am I seeing it right that the entire hitch is part of that plate where the jack sits?

If it is, I'd just grind that one off and get a new hitch welded on and painted.

I like the Dale method for jack replacement --- that style you have there is going to drag on something sooner or later.

Comment

Bend it back as stated, then unbolt and remove it.

Then bolt one on to the channel like a boat trailer has. One with a wheel so the trailer can be moved easily by hand on a concrete floor while being stored in a shop. Also they crank up a little then fold completely out of the way.

Just measure where it mounts, also get the specs off the old one to make sure it is the same capacity.
              Last edited by Lungbustr; 05-01-2018, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Back the trailer up over a curb. Lower the jack down against the curb and slowly back up until it’s straight.

Comment

Do you need to work on the light harness too?

Comment

Remove it and install a boat jack that rotates horizontal with the frame. Your buddy will thank you later.

Comment

Go see Robert at Rockwell Trailer and Hitch. He will help fix you up. Ask him about the story behind his grizzly hunt too!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        Am I seeing it right that the entire hitch is part of that plate where the jack sits?

If it is, I'd just grind that one off and get a new hitch welded on and painted.

I like the Dale method for jack replacement --- that style you have there is going to drag on something sooner or later.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I bent, broke, mangled about 1/2 dozen trailer jacks. Dad got tired of them not working , and having to replace them every year, and put one of these on it.

When it's all the way up, the foot plate is flush against the bottom of the frame rails. You just have to crank it down several turns to expose the pin to drop the foot down to the ground, and crank from there. Plenty stout to unhook the trailer with the tractor or 4 runner on it, and impossible to tear off...I've tried.

Those fold up ones are dangerous POS's.

Forgot I took some pics the other night....

About 5 years in, strong and flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That one will unbolt. Go to Tractor Supply to get a new one. They are carrying one that looks just like that on but drops down before you have to crank on it. I have put them on every trailer since I've found them. They are the best light duty jacks I've found.

Comment

Bent up the trailer jack

Not to go against the guys with the swing up outfits, but one of them almost took my lower leg off once. Granted, I was doing something it was not intended for, but the setup in my pics is Dale/idiot proof.

It will take a welder to do, but if you bent your buddie's trailer, have it done and he will thank you a hundred times later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Straighten it back the opposite way you bent it in the first place. Position the jack just in front of a curb or the edge of a sidewalk, lower the jack, then slowly back up to straighten it back. Have someone watching to yell at you to stop when it is back vertical. I have done it several times, although they weren't as bad as yours.

You're welcome.

Comment

Be sure to show him the damage and ask him what he would like to do before you attempt to fix it. If it were my trailer, i'd be angry if you broke it then fixed it and gave it back to me without telling me first. I'd much rather assess the damage myself and see which route i'd want you to take towards getting it fixed. I would be especially angry if you backed it up to a curb and bent it the opposite way.

Comment

Working...
                                X