This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
    People have been saying the Rapture was imminent since it was first written down.
    My mother has told me how terrified she was growing up. Every time she went to Church the world was coming to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by Filletem View Post
      Trying to fit the God who made the universe into a 3 lb. human brain does not work.
      Truth.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Trying to fit the God who made the universe into a 3 lb. human brain does not work.
        This. Finite minds.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Brother, I've experienced a lot myself. Grew up in church, spent my whole life in church school, etc, etc... Read the bible through 8 times by the time I graduated, spent a 100 hrs at the alter praying, camp meeting, missionary convention, revival, you name it. My entire life, I could never wrap my head around the fact that there was actually a man upstairs. Never understood what other people were talking about etc... Watched people cry, run the aisles and shout, everyone talking about how the spirit of God was really there that night, etc... In my whole life, since as far as I can remember, I've never once felt, seen, or heard anything, I thought was more than could be credited to plain ole human nature. It has never made any sense to me.
          Think of a universe as grand as ours, the scale of it, what it's capable of, and the type of being it would take to create it (God). Immeasurable, absolutely unbelievable knowledge, and power. The fact that I could do something to slight this being, or sin against him, doesn't compute in my head. We are the equivalent of an ant farm in a kids window, except we would be millions of times dumber than the ants, and the kid would be Einstein
          Amazing, I could use the same argument FOR God.

Comment

Any non believers in the name of science reading this, I’ll offer to purchase and mail each of you a fascinating book - Tim Keller’s THE REASON FOR GOD. If you’re the reading type, send me your address. It’s this science vs religion debate in a nutshell. It’s a great read for the “logic disproves Christianity” type. Of course, As the title suggests, it is from the Christian viewpoint. But if it interests you to the point to where you want to know why we believe what we believe, then I will be happy to send you a copy of this book. Let me know.
            Last edited by JLivi1224; 03-17-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

This presumes a god made the universe, which has yet to be proven. If it was proven, religion would be a no-brainer, but it isn't. Presumably, a creator of the universe could easily and incontrovertibly reveal this to all of humanity, but has yet to do so. Instead, such an entity, if it exists, seems to prefer playing guessing games and hide the ball with humanity.

Today's primary religions aren't falsifiable, which enables them to subsist, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are good reasons to believe any of them.

This is a fascinating subject for believers, doubters, skeptics and non-believers to explore. I have listened to countless hours of formal and informal debates and discussions via podcast and YouTube on the existence of God, the origins of the universe, the origins of life, the origins of Earth, the origins of humankind, is the Bible historically reliable, did the resurrection happen, is there an afterlife, is there free will, is religion good or bad, the argument for Christianity, the argument for Islam, morality, slavery in the Bible, evolution vs creationism, etc. There are some epic debates on these subjects between intellectuals, scholars, atheists, theists and religious leaders. On long drives I will listen to them for hours at a time. One debate on the existence of God had a Jew, a Muslim and a Christian on one side and atheist philosophers and scientists on the other. It was an oratorical and mental battle between learned men who aren't afraid to admit some questions can't be answered.

One thing that a journey towards critical thinking and skepticism will do is get you to really ask yourself whether you have good reasons to believe the things you believe, including the core beliefs you were raised with and the cultural beliefs you've absorbed. Different people will reach different conclusions, but some will conclude that fundamentalism and assertions of religious truth are not reasoned beliefs, and that other possibilities are more likely. Hawking and Einstein certainly reached this conclusion.

Along with discussions and debates on YouTube, another interesting forum right here in Texas is the Atheist Experience call in show. Hosted by members of the Atheist Community of Austin, this show is streamed live every Sunday at 4:30pm and has been running since 1997. They take phone calls from theists and atheists and some of the discussions are pretty interesting. They have YouTube channel with hundreds of archived shows. Full disclosure - the hosts are all atheists and most are left of center, but I've noticed the show doesn't get political unless it's a subject where politics and religion collide. Several of the hosts are former Christians, and the primary host, Matt Dillahunty, is a former Southern Baptist and Navy veteran. He used to get pretty hotheaded with some callers, but has definitely mellowed. I've found that any show with Matt or Tracie Harris (a former fundamentalist Christian) is usually a pretty good one. The hosts prefer talking to theists, so I think some here should definitely call in!

Comment

One thing is certain, Hawking could now fill us all in on what is Truth. To that point we will all know one day when they throw dirt in our faces. The joy of knowing Jesus is that the assurance many strive for thru science and debate can be had with great affirmation.

Those that get it need no explanation, those that do not, no explanation will ever be good enough. Godspeed in your individual journeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                  One thing is certain, Hawking could now fill us all in on what is Truth. To that point we will all know one day when they throw dirt in our faces. The joy of knowing Jesus is that the assurance many strive for thru science and debate can be had with great affirmation.

Those that get it need no explanation, those that do not, no explanation will ever be good enough. Godspeed in your individual journeys.
                  ^^^for the win; close thread^^^

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                    ^^^for the win; close thread^^^
                    Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post

Pascal’s Wager. Bold strategy Cotton, let’s see how it plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                        Amazing, I could use the same argument FOR God.
                        Yes you could . I personally know a vet, who was an atheist his entire life. Went to med school, learned about the human eye, and concluded it was not possible for evolution to create the eye. He has been a devout Christian ever since.
                        Since we've spun way off track, anyway, I have a question, for those who are believers.
                        What happens to a clone when it dies? We can, and are cloning people. In the next 20 yrs or so, we'll probably see them integrated into society, in various ways. Double for the president, grow you a new heart, etc...So if you took one, raised it in a devout religous household, it became a saint of god, it's entire life, what happens to it when it dies? Was it's religous expierence fake? Their brain is no different than yours, but would God never talk to them, never let them feel anything for him?
                        I'm probably a clone if so

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Yes you could . I personally know a vet, who was an atheist his entire life. Went to med school, learned about the human eye, and concluded it was not possible for evolution to create the eye. He has been a devout Christian ever since.
                          Since we've spun way off track, anyway, I have a question, for those who are believers.
                          What happens to a clone when it dies? We can, and are cloning people. In the next 20 yrs or so, we'll probably see them integrated into society, in various ways. Double for the president, grow you a new heart, etc...So if you took one, raised it in a devout religous household, it became a saint of god, it's entire life, what happens to it when it dies? Was it's religous expierence fake? Their brain is no different than yours, but would God never talk to them, never let them feel anything for him?
                          I'm probably a clone if so
                          Not sure a clone would have a soul.
                          My question is....the dead folks that get frozen then brought back to life in 100 years when we can do it. What are they going to be? Normal as they were or zombies?
                          I say zombies because their soul has already been put in place.
                          If they could regain that soul will they be ticked off they were taken away from heaven or thankful they were drawn from hell

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                            Any non believers in the name of science reading this, I’ll offer to purchase and mail each of you a fascinating book - Tim Keller’s THE REASON FOR GOD. If you’re the reading type, send me your address. It’s this science vs religion debate in a nutshell. It’s a great read for the “logic disproves Christianity” type. Of course, As the title suggests, it is from the Christian viewpoint. But if it interests you to the point to where you want to know why we believe what we believe, then I will be happy to send you a copy of this book. Let me know.
                            I'm in.
                            PM coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy moss View Post
                              Thing about if there is no GOD I’ll die and be worm food but if there is one I’ll be in heaven with the lord rejoicing I think I would rather believe in the Bible and all of it scriptures from the copyright of the front of the Bible’s all the way through the end where the maps are rather than the alternative living enternity without The Lord. Just take the Bible literally read it for a month and see if something doesn’t shake someone up .
                              I read it everyday literally, for 13 yrs, and still read it sporadically, but from a different standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                                This presumes a god made the universe, which has yet to be proven. If it was proven, religion would be a no-brainer, but it isn't. Presumably, a creator of the universe could easily and incontrovertibly reveal this to all of humanity, but has yet to do so. Instead, such an entity, if it exists, seems to prefer playing guessing games and hide the ball with humanity.

Today's primary religions aren't falsifiable, which enables them to subsist, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are good reasons to believe any of them.

This is a fascinating subject for believers, doubters, skeptics and non-believers to explore. I have listened to countless hours of formal and informal debates and discussions via podcast and YouTube on the existence of God, the origins of the universe, the origins of life, the origins of Earth, the origins of humankind, is the Bible historically reliable, did the resurrection happen, is there an afterlife, is there free will, is religion good or bad, the argument for Christianity, the argument for Islam, morality, slavery in the Bible, evolution vs creationism, etc. There are some epic debates on these subjects between intellectuals, scholars, atheists, theists and religious leaders. On long drives I will listen to them for hours at a time. One debate on the existence of God had a Jew, a Muslim and a Christian on one side and atheist philosophers and scientists on the other. It was an oratorical and mental battle between learned men who aren't afraid to admit some questions can't be answered.

One thing that a journey towards critical thinking and skepticism will do is get you to really ask yourself whether you have good reasons to believe the things you believe, including the core beliefs you were raised with and the cultural beliefs you've absorbed. Different people will reach different conclusions, but some will conclude that fundamentalism and assertions of religious truth are not reasoned beliefs, and that other possibilities are more likely. Hawking and Einstein certainly reached this conclusion.

Along with discussions and debates on YouTube, another interesting forum right here in Texas is the Atheist Experience call in show. Hosted by members of the Atheist Community of Austin, this show is streamed live every Sunday at 4:30pm and has been running since 1997. They take phone calls from theists and atheists and some of the discussions are pretty interesting. They have YouTube channel with hundreds of archived shows. Full disclosure - the hosts are all atheists and most are left of center, but I've noticed the show doesn't get political unless it's a subject where politics and religion collide. Several of the hosts are former Christians, and the primary host, Matt Dillahunty, is a former Southern Baptist and Navy veteran. He used to get pretty hotheaded with some callers, but has definitely mellowed. I've found that any show with Matt or Tracie Harris (a former fundamentalist Christian) is usually a pretty good one. The hosts prefer talking to theists, so I think some here should definitely call in!
                                Just so we're clear...
                                You listen to an established group of people , and interact via calling , that actively and regularily meets, discusses their own philosophies, theories, and beliefs with the purpose of presenting arguements against the philosophies, theories, and beliefs of groups that actively and regularily meets with each other.
                                Not only that but you say this group has call in shows and materials and people that promote the shows by advertising for them unsolicited?
                                Would you say you listen religously to this group of people claiming atheism?

Comment

Working...
                                X