No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man. There is an outdoor range out by the lake. You buy membership at outdoorsman per year.

Comment

Gonna try again in the am. Praying they are on their feet with cold front comin thru. Do you guys think to early for estrus?

Comment

Originally posted by howhandi View Post
        Gonna try again in the am. Praying they are on their feet with cold front comin thru. Do you guys think to early for estrus?
        Never too early to try. There may be that one buck that is stupid and comes looking.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

To be continued...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hurry up and find it we're waiting

Comment

Congrats JD hope you found it.

Comment

Hey y'all! I haven't posted on here in a few years! Well I'll finally be hunting all day Saturday! Haven't even scouted this year but I'll go to my faithful area. Always get does and spikes. Last year I sat on a trail and got a spike and die within 30 min of sunrise. Only went once and first time using slugs. Hopefully have some action this weekend! Anyone have any luck this yr yet? I was cleaning deer skulls the past few years for taxidermist and random people. Last year a guy brought in a nice buck from tbr. Also brought in a huge cat!

Comment

Originally posted by Gman2215 View Post
                  Where does everyone shoot in San Angelo for practice? That lives in town of course. Outdoorsman has a great facility but only goes to 20yards. I need practice for the longer shots. Thanks in advance.

When I was at area 8 of TBR the other day it said on the sign that archery target practice was allowed. (Unless I misread it early in the morning) There is a low area right in front of the parking area that would work well for target practice as you could shoot at a slight downward angle to ensure no errant arrows and it’s close to road so not disturbing any hunters that may be in there. You could easily set up to 100 yds

Comment

Originally posted by Aclee016 View Post
                    Hello everybody I’m new to the site and I’m in need of some advice. I’m really thinking about going hunting the twin buttes and San Angelo state park. I have never hunted public land and I really don’t know which tactics to use, either spot and stalk or sit and wait wait. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I will only speak of hunting with a bow as I have not tried shotgun in TBR. Spot and stalk don’t work out there. Deer are way too wary of all the hunters walking through and you will eventually walk right through someone that is set up waiting. You have to know the land as well as the deer to have any success with spot and stalk. Seen plenty try it and had plenty ruin a morning sit while sneaking through the brush. Had deer take off from in front of me right before seeing a hunter “sneaking” through. Trust me they hear and/or see you before you see them. Been hunting SASP and TBR for about 7 years now. Certainly nowhere near the years JD has but have learned a little. Best success comes from scouting, finding a good trail and or other signs and start hand corning it. Set up whatever blind you prefer whether sitting in a bush, pop up or tripod and dedicate some time to hunt it and corn it as often as you can. Avoid the temptation to find another spot if you don’t see something in 1 or 2 sits. I know several that are always looking for that better spot and never stick with one and end up with nothing. My son and I usually pick 4 spots spread out over a couple different areas that we plus my FIL will hunt. We have a couple different options based on wind or if other hunters in area then. Last year my son picked a spot and had almost zero daytime activity the first 2 weeks of season and then it became a hotbed of activity with some deer hanging around for an hour at times for most of the rest of season. They were mostly young deer but had some decent deer. This year is proving the same so far. He did have an opportunity at a decent 8 the other day at one of our other spots but chose to wait for something better since early in season. Will see if that pays off but that is hunting. I had off last week and hunted most days and I saw very few deer but on Wednesday evening I was able to connect on a 6+ year old doe on my 8th sit of the week. Had several sits prior with no deer. Patience is key.

Between the SASP and TBR they both have their own virtues. I find that there is more varied wildlife for some reason at SASP. More quail, birds, turkey, rabbits and even hogs in some areas to watch. Put down extra corn as the quail can clean you out. For whatever reason TBR doesn’t seem to have as much. TBR is were I spend most of my time now because the SP has cut the days available down to an absurd number making it harder to hunt. They cut off the hunt days right as rut should be starting. I have seen big deer in both but TBR seems to have a lot of young deer. At least in areas 5,8&9 that we have hunted.

Of course like any public land try to get as far as you can get off the road or trail which is main reason why I like the walk-in archery only areas. Always try to be respectful of other hunters. Even though everyone has full legal right to hunt anywhere even on top of someone else’s corn I try to stay away from others best I can. Though some want to be tight lipped I try to get to know other hunters in an area and where they hunt so that if I see their truck I know to either go hunt somewhere else or at least avoid walking anywhere near their area on my way in or out.

Of course a lot of this depends on how much time you have to spend in field. Hope this helps some. PM me and I can give you specifics to get you started if you would like.

And ALWAYS PACK OUT YOUR TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Deer

Buddy's nephew got this deer! Was a couple days ago at tbr.

Comment

140” 6.5-7.5 year old! Nice!

Comment

Congrats. Hoping to get down there in the next week or two.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats JD

Comment

I've spent the last week reading this thread from #1 to #1528... Pretty fascinating transition at the Buttes.

It's just a matter of time before the place is cleaned up and cleaned out of the vast majority of the literal and figurative trash... Many thanks to the volunteers, game wardens and other public officials who have taken the lead on this project.

In 5-10 years, I think we're going to see it take the shape of a true western-style public hunting atmosphere and I'm all for it.

*Bone Out Pack Out*
                              Last edited by BOPO; 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM. Reason: Text addition

Comment

Originally posted by BOPO View Post
                                I've spent the last week reading this thread from #1 to #1528... Pretty fascinating transition at the Buttes.

It's just a matter of time before the place is cleaned up and cleaned out of the vast majority of the literal and figurative trash... Many thanks to the volunteers, game wardens and other public officials who have taken the lead on this project.

In 5-10 years, I think we're going to see it take the shape of a true western-style public hunting atmosphere and I'm all for it.

*Bone Out Pack Out*

Hopefully so! I know the Game Wardens have some great plans for the future!

Comment

Working...
                                X