What does 1 MOA really mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thearrower View Post
    The main reason I am asking is that I had read some information on a manufacturer who sold a gun with a 3 shot group on a target within the guaranteed standards. The purchaser could not get the gun to perform as well and sent it back to get it checked. The manufacturer was evidently not able to get the firearm to perform as well and kept the gun for an extended period of time. The gun was then sent back to the purchaser and was told that the gun had shot a group within the tolerance before it was shipped the first time which was proved by the first target sent with the rifle at that time.

This is all 2nd hand information and I will not put the name of the manufacturer in print because I have no first hand knowledge that the information is true.

I am just weighing the price difference between guaranteed MOA firearms and those that are not. And, I am just trying to find out what my expectations should be.

Thank you guys who have posted....I am a Bowhunter and shoot firearms very rarely. But, I would like to purchase a very accurate one at some point and time.

How many people do you think legitimately verify their rifles accuracy? I'm guessing not that many. I'm sure all those rifles that get sold with an accuracy guarantee aren't great shooters.

I typically pull my Schmidt and bender off my .308 AR that is in a P-Rom qd mount and put it on the rifle to be tested. The scope and mount are known performers and it has high magnification. I shoot on a day with ideal conditions and test a variety of ammo. All shots are taken with a benchrest in front and a rear san****. When I find what it likes I shoot the 5, 5 round group tests like Artos mentioned. That gives me a pretty good idea of what that rifle is capable of. If you sell me a barrel or a rifle with an accuracy guarantee you will be held to it.
    Last edited by Lungbustr; 02-02-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
      How many people do you think legitimately verify their rifles accuracy?
      The same number that box tests their scopes. So, very few.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        What gun are you looking at & what are you willing to spend...we can likely point you in a good direction.

Caliber & expectations?? Applications for gun??
        Just in the looking and researching stage right now......Have been looking at 257 Weatherby as the caliber......and the Mark 5 RC has been interesting to me. However, I would like to have a break on the end and the 26 inch barrel might be too long if a break was added.......I would like to have a firearm as accurate as I can get it because I realize I am not perfect. The gun would be used mainly for hunting at medium to long range.......

Comment

Now you're into a horse of a different color.

I had an A7 sako that after trying numerous types of Ammo and two scopes wouldn't come close to the 5 shot 1 moa guarantee.

I returned it and they too couldn't make it shoot 1 moa at 100 yards. They didn't have another 25-06 A7 sako in Stock so they sent me a model 85 for no additional charge. Nearly twice the price.

It seems to me that the 1 moa guarantee was once something only a few manufacturers would hang on a rifle....such as sako.

Now you see it on many rifles of which most are budget or less then top end...marketing is what's it's become but if they stand behind it then it's good piece of mind.
          Last edited by Slick8; 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

You have to be able to shoot better than the rifle to really be worrying about the fine accuracy. If the gun is capable of 1/2 MOA on a rest but you are a 3 MOA shooter, it's you not the gun.

Also three round groups tests the guns accuracy and five round groups test the shooter (an old saying I've heard)

And MOA is not just an inch, it is an inch at 100, one MOA is two inches at 200 yards, hope that helps

Comment

6.5X55 Swede

Best moa around..............

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

I had an A7 sako that after trying numerous types of Ammo and two scopes wouldn't come close to the 5 shot 1 moa guarantee.

I returned it and they too couldn't make it shoot 1 moa at 100 yards. They didn't have another 25-06 A7 sako in Stock so they sent me a model 85 for no additional charge. Nearly twice the price.

It seems to me that the 1 moa guarantee was once something only a few manufacturers would hang on a rifle....such as sako.

Now you see it on many rifles of which most are budget or less then top end...marketing is what's it's become but if they stand behind it then it's good piece of mind.
                Good info.....thanks

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                  6.5X55 Swede

Best moa around..............
                  I have heard good things about this round.........

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                    How many people do you think legitimately verify their rifles accuracy? I'm guessing not that many. I'm sure all those rifles that get sold with an accuracy guarantee aren't great shooters.

I typically pull my Schmidt and bender off my .308 AR that is in a P-Rom qd mount and put it on the rifle to be tested. The scope and mount are known performers and it has high magnification. I shoot on a day with ideal conditions and test a variety of ammo. All shots are taken with a benchrest in front and a rear san****. When I find what it likes I shoot the 5, 5 round group tests like Artos mentioned. That gives me a pretty good idea of what that rifle is capable of. If you sell me a barrel or a rifle with an accuracy guarantee you will be held to it.
                    Great info......I will check whatever I end up with......

Comment

Your equipment can hit a 10" paper plate at a 1000 yards. (In theory )

Comment

You don't need or want a break on the 257wby...I'm somewhat sensitive to recoil & that round is mild. The muzzle blast would be fierce & painful with very little reward for the shoulder.

Both the 257wby & 6.5x55 are both on my want custom list...I'm not sure what the pricing is on the rig you are looking at, but you may want to consider a custom rig on a Remington 700 or top action if getting into the $1k mark.

Cajun Blake has posted many times on a break down of parts & getting into it if you have a donor action...getting MOA from a good factory is really not all that hard today, but much easier to obtain with a well made rig from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Codos to Sako.

I'm having problems with a pistol accuracy guarantee at the moment. I've been at it for almost a year trying to duplicate their claim. I think I know my answer so it's more of a study at this point. I can get the results consistently with another pistol of theirs but not the one that is "guaranteed".
                          I haven't heard back from him this month after a couple messages. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt due to shot show being last month. We'll see.

Comment

I'm not a rifle shooter, much... Maybe 20 rounds a year. Shot my .270 yesterday to check zero for hog tournament this weekend and pulled this out of my @$$
                            3 shots cold barrel laying in gravel road on by pods... Shooting a feed sack best I've ever shot and probably couldn't do it in another 100 rounds of shooting

Wal mart shelf Winchester super x 130 gr

Pics turned. Holes are @ 11 o'clock
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Low Fence; 02-03-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              There more MOA guns thsn there are MOA shooters. There are more self acclaimed MOA shooters than there are MOA guns. Hope that helps.
                              This EXACTLY!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                I'm not a rifle shooter, much... Maybe 20 rounds a year. Shot my .270 yesterday to check zero for hog tournament this weekend and pulled this out of my @$$
                                3 shots cold barrel laying in gravel road on by pods... Shooting a feed sack best I've ever shot and probably couldn't do it in another 100 rounds of shooting

Wal mart shelf Winchester super x 130 gr

Pics turned. Holes are @ 11 o'clock
                                Nice! We'll be hunting in the Varmint contest so I'm sure I'll see you at the weigh in, Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X