Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co
Default How does the 6.5 Grendel and Creedmoor compare and recoil

Was pretty much set on the 6.5 Grendel for the kids rifle but with the deal on the Creedmoor might go that route if the recoil is about the same

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

I bet it quite a bit more but maybe put a break on it? IMO my 270 bolt action with a break on it kicks the same as my 6.5 grendel in an AR platform but maybe I am delusional.
Fordnandez is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Denton

Creedmoor thumps harder than the Grendel and the creemoor I shot was a RPR which is pretty heavy.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

243 vs 300mag
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
Was pretty much set on the 6.5 Grendel for the kids rifle but with the deal on the Creedmoor might go that route if the recoil is about the same

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
The gun I posted is heavyyyyy. They do have 25% off the axis and $100 rebate also. It would be well under $200 after rebate, and they have It in 6.5 also. I beieve they were $299 plus 25% off and then your $100 rebate.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Noticeably less recoil from the Grendel, even if shooting the same weight bullets. More powder more velocity = more recoil. Put that Grendel in an AR and it gets more if a difference in with the gas system reduction. In my 9lb pound Grendel AR without any muzzle device I can watch the bullet hit with the scope set at 10X. Little info from recoil calculator. can push the Creedmoor a bit htter for more velocity but figure a good comparison

Recoil Grendel 8lb rifle

Grendel 7lb rifle

Creedmoor with same 130gr bullet 8lb rifle
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Outbreaker
Ten Point

My Grendel AR the platform with a suppressor.......The recoil is so small I can watch the bullet hit in the crosshairs!!!!!!!

See the pink mist baby!!!!!!!!
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
MD2TX
Six Point

Hunt In: Bosque,Collin

My 6.5 Grendel AR with a muzzle brake has almost no recoil. It's like shooting a .22lr
MD2TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

Shot my Grendel AR today and the recoil is extremely minimal with a nice break on it. I've only shot Creedmoors without breaks and the recoil isn't bad (maybe like a .243?), but that being said it seems like the Grendel is noticeably less.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
kmon
Eight Point

The examples I gave above are for bolt actions

With the rifles the same weight a Grendel recoils about 30% less than a Creedmoor
With the Grendel rifle weighing a pound less than the creedmoor the Grendel is has about 25% less recoil. That is more of a real world scenario since the factory Grendel bolt actions will finish off about a pound less than a Creedmoor.

In an AR the Grendel is not that much more than a 223 in recoil
Old 12-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
switchbackxt
Ten Point

I may be partial but I say go with the Grendel
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
243 vs 300mag
LOL

For a grownup they're both negligible, but yeah for kids I'd go Grendel.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
kmon
Eight Point

I know I am partial to the Grendel, what's not to like, accurate, low recoil, efficient, easy to shoot with enough energy for anything in Texas except a few big exotics. I have killed deer with 35 different cartridges and none really killed them any better than the Grendel.

After getting a :custom: bolt action built a few years ago (before there were any factory options), that is all I have hunted with. Thinking about making a lot of room in the safe selling off some other than a couple big guns incase of doing another elk hunt and the family guns that are in there and a few small caliber guns.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Kmon is spot on.

The difference will be noticeable for a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
WTJim
Eight Point

6.5 Grendel all the way
WTJim is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post

With the rifles the same weight a Grendel recoils about 30% less than a Creedmoor
With the Grendel rifle weighing a pound less than the creedmoor the Grendel is has about 25% less recoil. That is more of a real world scenario since the factory Grendel bolt actions will finish off about a pound less than a Creedmoor.

Can you run that with a 6mm creed vs 6.5 creed?
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
Almost identical to a 243
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbd10pt View Post
Almost identical to a 243
It IS a .243/6mm Rem!!!!!

6mm based on a .308 win necked down.

Same cartridge different name and slightly different shape.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
TexasRough1256
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Centerville

i would have to say its 223 vs a 308
TexasRough1256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

My AR Grendel kicks substantially more than a 223 AR.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #21
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
I know I am partial to the Grendel, what's not to like, accurate, low recoil, efficient, easy to shoot with enough energy for anything in Texas except a few big exotics. I have killed deer with 35 different cartridges and none really killed them any better than the Grendel.

After getting a :custom: bolt action built a few years ago (before there were any factory options), that is all I have hunted with. Thinking about making a lot of room in the safe selling off some other than a couple big guns incase of doing another elk hunt and the family guns that are in there and a few small caliber guns.
I am having a hard time getting my Grendel to produce an exit wounds. I am shooting Hornady SST 123's. Shot three deer now with no exit wound. I will say that the bullet mushrooms up VERY well and does a ton of damage so the deer do not go far. What are you having the most luck with?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #22
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
I am having a hard time getting my Grendel to produce an exit wounds. I am shooting Hornady SST 123's. Shot three deer now with no exit wound. I will say that the bullet mushrooms up VERY well and does a ton of damage so the deer do not go far. What are you having the most luck with?
Shot 3 big does last weekend. First one low behind the shoulder, she jumped and just stood there. I put another one thru the same spot. She walked 15yds and fell over dead. Two exits not much bigger than caliber. Next day I shot one high shoulder. No exit. Shot another one high shoulder and got a large exit wound. Bot shoulder shots caused massive tissue damage, ruined both shoulders. I found two pieces of the bullet that didnt exit.

Last edited by Walker; 12-14-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
Fordnandez
Ten Point

What ammo were you shooting?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #24
kmon
Eight Point

Quote:
this is the calculator I used for those. Would have to lookup the entries for the 6mm Creedmoor. Easy to use though just need bullet weight, powder weight and velocity.
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #25
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Use the Barnes TTSX. They blow straight through.......and Inhave yet to have one expand significantly.

120gr NBT and have had 2/3 passed through.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #26
KC Huntin
Ten Point

The calculator is great Kevin thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #27
kmon
Eight Point

I haven't tried the cavity back bullets but they make 2 fro the Grendel. It is an all copper bullet that expands well with 3 petals and has a hollow base to hold more powder in the little Grendel. Being a monometal bullet you get plenty of penetration but nor as much massive damage. Did read that someone recovered on but it was under the skin at the ham on an almost frontal shot.

I use the 129gr Long range Accubond from Nosler @ 2500fps, with it expect about a quarter size entrance and half dollar exit. With massive damage in the first 6 inches or more of entry, it sheds most of the weight it sheds in that area as secondary projectiles.

The 123gr SST is the most popular bullet for the Grendel and sometimes it exits sometimes it doesn't but does kill deer and hogs quite well. There have been deer, hogs, black bear and elk killed cleanly with that bullet. I have only killed deer and hogs with it. Have killed a few hogs and coyotes with the 123gr A-Max as well, but only one exit on a broadside coyote.

The Berger 130gr VLD hunting for Brian when he was testing it exited every time with a quarter to half dollar exit. Grendel velocities are low enough it doesn't come totally apart.

Federal loads a 120gr Fusion bullet for it that at least on ribs in and ribs out has been producing good exits from what I have read.

There is another company working on a copper bullet for the Grendel that I know of don't expect to see them before next Summer unless I get some to test on hogs.

A lot of the time I think those small exit holes from the Hornady bullets is a piece of the core that was big enough to hold together and exit after separating from the jacket.

The 130gr accubond and Sirocco have been good for some but with those I want a little more velocity than the Grendel can muster unless the shots are within 200 yards
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #28
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Good info. Thank you
Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #29
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Think... 7.62x39 (AK-47) vs .308win (AR-10)

Those are the parent cases, both necked down to 6.5
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #30
kmon
Eight Point

forgot to mention on the cavity back bullets one member at the 65grendel forum was ask to test accuracy and BC on them, they adjusted the BC to his findings from drop at 1000 yards where he shot groups of .7 MOA so it is definitely accurate enough for hunting. He was not pushing it that fast either around 100fps below max with the 118 gr bullet. Brian that has the Carpe Sus

Here is Brian's review of Berger bullet on killing hogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqKHml1J-bw
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #31
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
What ammo were you shooting?
123 sst
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #32
hog_down
Eight Point

Quote:

Put a heavier buffer tube and I bet that it will take some recoil out of it.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #33
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Grendel has almost no recoil.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #34
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog_down View Post
Put a heavier buffer tube and I bet that it will take some recoil out of it.
So I have asked this of the gentleman that put it together for me (he has his own shop and puts together several AR's) but I would like some other opinions on the matter. When I asked him about swapping out the buffer tube to make the recoil less he stated that he would advise against it. He builds them so that when the brass ejects, it ejects within the 2 and 4 o'clock position. If I swapped out the buffer tube it might throw that off and it might cause jamming. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I do not know all the AR lingo/terminology so I might not have fully understood what he was telling me or I did not ask my question in the proper manner.

One of my friends that knows a little bit more about it than I, but he might be full of bull, actually said to get a softer buffer spring. Like I said I am open to suggestion as my Grendel has quite a bit of kick to it. When I bought it I was told that it wouldn't kick much more than a 223 and that is not the case with mine. My Grendel is pretty light but I have shot some 223 AR's that are just as light.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #35
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
So I have asked this of the gentleman that put it together for me (he has his own shop and puts together several AR's) but I would like some other opinions on the matter. When I asked him about swapping out the buffer tube to make the recoil less he stated that he would advise against it. He builds them so that when the brass ejects, it ejects within the 2 and 4 o'clock position. If I swapped out the buffer tube it might throw that off and it might cause jamming. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I do not know all the AR lingo/terminology so I might not have fully understood what he was telling me or I did not ask my question in the proper manner.

One of my friends that knows a little bit more about it than I, but he might be full of bull, actually said to get a softer buffer spring. Like I said I am open to suggestion as my Grendel has quite a bit of kick to it. When I bought it I was told that it wouldn't kick much more than a 223 and that is not the case with mine. My Grendel is pretty light but I have shot some 223 AR's that are just as light.

If as you state your gun has significantly more recoil than a 223, your gun could well be overgassed and the bolt carrier group is slamming to the rear harder than it should. Mine was overgassed pretty bad so I installed an adjustable gas block rather than tinkering with the buffer system.

I closed mine off completely and loaded a single round in the mag and fired it. If the bolt did not hold back I opened it 1/4 turn. Once it would hold the bolt back I opened it an additional 1/4 turn and left it there. My brass ejects at almost perfectly 4:00 position and recoil is minimally more than my 5.56 rifles.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #36
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:

The Grendel is notorious for overgassing. ALL OF MINE have adjustable gas blocks and I would not have one without it.

Recoil was cut in half when I installed my first one. THe carrier slams into the back and the brass gets chewed up as well.

ADJ gas block and bam......smooth cycling.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #37
hog_down
Eight Point

Sorry, I too am learning the lingo, but I meant a heavier buffer, not tube. When I switched from a H1 buffer to a H2, that helped the recoil out. My Grendel is kinda on the heavier side. I too am having issues with my build, and will continue to fiddle with it. Mine jams and/or fails to load, and is frustrating at times.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #38
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Mine does too. I have not started tracking down the solution but need to.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sorry, I too am learning the lingo, but I meant a heavier buffer, not tube. When I switched from a H1 buffer to a H2, that helped the recoil out. My Grendel is kinda on the heavier side. I too am having issues with my build, and will continue to fiddle with it. Mine jams and/or fails to load, and is frustrating at times.

You would be much better off tuning the gas rather than the buffer.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #40
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
ADJ gas block is the way to go.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #41
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Ive got one adjustable gas block on one gun and now need another- what brand do yall suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #42
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Have both and suppressed 6.5grendel is nothing. But the 6.5 creedmoor isn't either. I wouldn't hesitate to let my wife shoot it.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #43
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Ive got one adjustable gas block on one gun and now need another- what brand do yall suggest?

I have a JP on one, and an adjustable gas tube on another, and an adjustable (2 position) BCG on my .223.

I like all of them
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #44
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:

The engineers at dead air can buy anything they want, and they buy the one from superlative arms I believe. Im going to try it soon.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

The one on my Grendel is from Syrac Ordnance but it looks like they are no more.

I prefer the detent over the set screw for adjustments.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #46
KC Huntin
Ten Point

How hard is it to install adj gas block?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #47
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Thanks for the info gentleman. Bigthicket I did not mean to hijack your thread.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #48
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not hard. But very important to do correctly, otherwise the gas system wont function correctly.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #49
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
I found an air compressor helps. I put the bolt in place and move the gas block until with the air compressor pressureing the barrel I can hear the gas moving out the gas tube.

It is not hard. If you can change a part out on your car.......you can do it.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #50
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
Mine does too. I have not started tracking down the solution but need to.
As does mine and it ejects forward and or arond 1 oclock.

I have only shot mine suppressed so i assume its over gassed and the adjustable gas block will help me and tame my recoil and allow my sons to enjoy it like they do my .223