Best .40 for Concealed Carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best .40 for Concealed Carry

Looking for some opinions for a subcompact concealed carry pistol. The ones I am considering are M&P Shield, XD, and Glock 27. All subcompact and all .40 caliber. Anyone have pros and cons of any of these ? Trigger,accuracy, ect... Thanks in advance.

As a long time .40 Cal user, I'd have to say "pass" on the .40 Subcompact. There is absolutely no benefit to getting one, including if you already have a .40 and just want to share ammo (which was my reason, and turned out to still be a mistake... twice).

I had a subcompact .40 and it's just way too snappy. I didn't learn from the first experience and bought another one. Same result. Too snappy and hard to get back on target. I sold it and bought a 9mm subcompact, and it is perfect. For some odd reason, so is a .45 sub. But the .40 (and .357 Sig) are just too snappy in a subcompact. Very hard to get back on target quickly. And the .40 gives you absolutely no advantage over any of the other cartridges (9 and .45).

Trust me... ditch the .40 cal sub-compact idea and go with a 9mm or .45.

For a full size pistol, .40 is fine, and I'd recommend to anyone. Big difference when you go down in size and stick with that cartridge.

All the best,
    Glenn

Comment

I went from having Glocks for years. I changed to the Springfield Mod 2 sub-compact in .40. I like the grip trigger & sights better than Glock. My muscle memory is still w/Glock so I've been relearning how to be precise w/this new format. Right now Springfield has 4 free mags & holster w/purchase. That's a free $180 in gear!

*ETA* I don't find it snappy @ all but YMMV.

Comment

Carried a subcompact xd 40 for 2 years. Was good gun, over 2k rounds without an issue. but I wanted bigger for concealed carry so I upgraded to a Glock 23.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try and shoot them all. All three you listed are great guns, it just boils down to personal preference and which one "fits your hand" best. I've got a Khar .40 that's nice, but I like the trigger on my Glocks better. If I was buying one today, and it has to be a .40, I'd get a Glock 23. I like the full grip on the 23 better than the 27.

Comment

I'm a Glock guy and they've always been my go to. I bought my wife an M&P Shield though and I really like it. I carry it quite a bit myself. Everything I carry now though is in 9mm but that's just me.

Comment

I guess that I just assumed that most people would carry a subcompact for concealed carry. Do any of you carry others that are not subcompact ? If so, which ones.

Comment

I recently changed from an XDs in .45 to a Performance Center Shield in .40. I like the shield much better, and as LFD said, I don't find it any snappier than the XDs. Different strokes I guess, but snappy doesn't enter into my thinking until you get past a 10mm.

Oh, and the PC Shield has THE BEST trigger of any striker fired pistol I've ever shot !

Comment

Not a subcompact. I have been carrying a G23 for years. Midsize seemed to be the way to go for me.

Comment

I carry the springfield xd .40 subcompact daily. 14 rounds of .40 is tough to beat in such a smaller gun. I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                      I guess that I just assumed that most people would carry a subcompact for concealed carry. Do any of you carry others that are not subcompact ? If so, which ones.
                      I carry a Glock 19. Midsize id perfect for me. I carry the same gun at work and off duty. With that said I will carry the Shield or a small revolver if I need something really small, like when I'm running, etc.

Comment

I carry a Government model 1911 or an officer model 1911, or G-23 in a leather owb holster with untucked shirt all the time. Nobody ever knows nothing. Now a full size steel 1911 is something to get used to... its a little heavy. But is doable.

If your willing to consider the medium size gun, G-23 is hard to beat. I like it.

Comment

My daily carry (concealed) is a CZ Remi in .40 S&W. I shoot it well and it is a single/double action pistol. I personally do not like striker fired pistols. I'd recommend checking it out. I carry it IWB at 8:30 (I'm a lefty).

Comment

IMO, subs have their place in concealed carry for sure, but I feel much better having a compact size pistol. Easier to shoot and mag capacity wins the battle every time. Unless your comparing a single stack sub, the size difference is negligible for the benefits of a compact size pistol. Like I said earlier, I carry a Glock 23 and extra mag every day without issue. IWB and OWB concealed is very easy for me on my Glock along with thousands of others who carry the 23/19 or similar sized gun. Bottom line is you have to be comfortable carrying whatever you choose, important thing is that you are proficient and carry! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Right now shield is going as low as 220 after mir

Comment

Working...
                              X