Long Range Shooters Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Range Shooters Question

Ok guys I have a question. I plan on going to Law Enforcement Sniper School. Now, I have to supply my own rifle. I have played around with long range before so I am not a complete stranger. So my first question is how common is it for people to go through the school with a precision AR chambered to .223. The reason I ask is I already have the AR platform and could build up a nicer precision upper for it. The only reason I am considering it VS building a Bolt Gun in .308 or 300WM is that I have a reloading system currently set up to reload .223 and if I bought a new bolt gun in thirty caliber I would have to wait and build up to the point to where I could reload it (too much want not enough money). Which with the ammo shortage and rising prices would mean a lot less shooting. I know that the bolt guns will be inherently more accurate than the AR platform (in my opinion).

Additional Info no interest in AR10 (If I was going to go thirty caliber I will go to a bolt gun)

Doing the math it would cost around the same to do either I just wouldn’t be able to reload one for now.

I want to be able to shoot dead nuts out to 500YDS

Questions:

Is it common for Law Enforcement Officers to go to the school with .223 (or is that weird)

Should I just get a Bolt gun in thirty caliber?

Thanks
    Muzzy100

I'm not gonna go into the black rifles, but for the bolt gun. Have you just considered going with either a remington 700 sps varmint or tactical? Both can be gotten in .223. IMO both need a new stock for your application. I have a sps tactical in .223 and love it. I put a mcmillan style stock on it, harris bipod, one piece precision base, burris extreme tac rings, super sniper scope. Haven't been able to take it past 200 but can hold under .5 moa all day long and if i really do my best can do .25 moa on occasion if i really get on fire.
    B

Comment

Who is putting the class on and in what part of the State? I can answer your question but curious as my former partner is a Sniper instructor for TTPOA and has taught a bunch od these classes.

I use to get a ton of brass from these schools, just had to go out to the range after class each day. I would say 99% of people coming to these classes were shooting the Rem 700 in .308, however some.of the smaller cities in outlying areas had sent officers to the school with the Savage LE model rifle in .308.

Sime had .223s but its not an ideal sniper round.

Comment

Bolt gun in a 6 or 6.5mm cartridge. That would be my choice for a target gun. 6.5x47 lapua, 6xc, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 etc.

Comment

500yds is doable with a .223, but as a newbie shooting low BC bullets you had better figure out how to play your windage b/c it's not very forgiving.

Comment

Best bet would be a bolt gun in .308

.223 is good out to 3-400 but then wind and the lighter bullet losing velocity can really take a toll on accuracy

Comment

Originally posted by KewlDeals View Post
              Who is putting the class on and in what part of the State? I can answer your question but curious as my former partner is a Sniper instructor for TTPOA and has taught a bunch od these classes.

I use to get a ton of brass from these schools, just had to go out to the range after class each day. I would say 99% of people coming to these classes were shooting the Rem 700 in .308, however some.of the smaller cities in outlying areas had sent officers to the school with the Savage LE model rifle in .308.

Sime had .223s but its not an ideal sniper round.
              Central Texas Area, at this point I am not signed up for the class but I am wanting to, I have been given the green light if I can get enrolled in the class, it is put on by Burleson County SD. I am leaning towards a Remington .308 more and more I was just wondering how big of a corner would I be cutting by going the AR route

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                500yds is doable with a .223, but as a newbie shooting low BC bullets you had better figure out how to play your windage b/c it's not very forgiving.
                Yea I agree

Comment

You could get by cheaper with a .260 over the .308.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Bolt gun in a 6 or 6.5mm cartridge. That would be my choice for a target gun. 6.5x47 lapua, 6xc, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 etc.
                    That might be hard if you pland on training ammo to be supplied from an LEO department.

If you are only pondering this because you have the means to reload.....I was under the impression that handloads from an LEO point of view was a "no-no." Could be wrong so open to info....
                    If it is a "no-no" you need to train with what you will use. If LEO sniper school is anything close to Army sniper school (in the sense of precision fire on long range targets/aside from the 150yds or less average from the LEO)...it's all about collecting data.

I vote 308 bolt, 300WM if long distance.

Comment

I am not an expert by any means but I think a .223 would have much more wind drift than a 308 and if I had to put someone dangerous down bigger would be better IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        6.5 Creedemore Would Be My Choice. It Will Be My Next Bolt Gun For Sure.

260/6.5XAnything
                        .338 lapua
                        .50 bmg

Those would Be My Choices FOr Long Range. High BC Bullets

Comment

Doesnt look like it will be much over 500YDS

Comment

The hand loads could not really be used for the course and def not on duty but a tool I could use to shoot more on my own time own dime

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                              Central Texas Area, at this point I am not signed up for the class but I am wanting to, I have been given the green light if I can get enrolled in the class, it is put on by Burleson County SD. I am leaning towards a Remington .308 more and more I was just wondering how big of a corner would I be cutting by going the AR route
                              Are you going to be using it as a SWAT member? Need to look at any lawsuit matters and such. Also, we could not use reloads at anytime.

Comment

Working...
                              X