GPS Trackers for Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Trackers for Equipment

So a friend and I are looking at leasing out some trailers to make some money as opposed to letting them set around and collect dust. He has slowed down quite a bit from the hauling business and has some pretty nice trailers. We want to install GPS trackers on them for a little bit of insurance. Do any of you have any experience with these? Any recommendations and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks & Merry Christmas
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone??

Comment

PM Recar, I think he is in that line of business.

Comment

Last Sunday my nephew had a 28 foot gooseneck stolen. They had a tracker on it that the service had expired. They called Verizon and they re activated the service and by Wednesday they got their trailer back with minor damage. I would highly suggest the trackers if you are considering this business. Their trailer was in a locked yard, and had a trailer hitch lock and the trailr. The only reason they got the trailer back was because of the tracker. I am happy they got their trailer back however I would look into another company. Verizon did help however we know the director of security and I feel that was the only reason they helped us

As for why the service expired. Earlier this year my nephews bought the company from a friend and they just forgot about the trackers. And did not realize the trackers were on there until the old owner said the trackers should still be on there

Hope this helps

Comment

Lojak makes one but it's more for theft than just checking to see where stuff is.

When you report the vin via ncic/tcic lojak sees it and the tracker is armed. It seems the rep that installed the tracker loactaion stuff in a patrol car of mine said they are good for one recovery and then need a battery. Things may have changed.

They're also good forever regardless of sale etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of trailers?
            Spireon and Skybitz make one for semi trailers.
            Here's the ones I have limited experience with.

The old style Skybitz the brain is mounted behind the plywood in the nose of the trailer.
            It's wired into the electrical system. It uses 8 AA battery, you can check battery status via their website.
            auxillary power
            Ground
            Marker lights.
            There's an antennae that mounts on the roof.

The new style Skybitz is a self contained unit with solar charger.

Spireon mounts to the nose of the trailer, you'll need to cut a hole the nose to mount it. It to gets wired into the electrical system. Not sure which eyes it uses as I've only seen them not worked on our installed them.

I am on the the belief that they're switching to the Spireon system as it provides real time tracking and the Skybitz only records change in status. Ie started moving or stopped it does provide the location of the stairs change.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.

Merry Christmas
              Skooter

Comment

Go to GPSit.com

Comment

Working...
                X