Dave Ramsey fans read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murph View Post
    What is the risk factor? What happens if we have a 9/11 again. If you have 600,000 in the market vs 600,000 in your house. My house is my biggest asset.
    Dont get me wrong, I put money in the market, but I am not putting a large percent in it.
    You picked the last 7 years, not me. The $1 you put in the market in September 2001 is worth ~$2.50 today. Not to mention the money I put in monthly since then. I'm convinced the $1 I put in my house in 2001 isn't worth as much.

I'm not arguing what you are doing is wrong or not in your best interest. Just looking at the other side of the coin, no pun intended.
    Last edited by JeffJ; 11-01-2017, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I just want to go to the mailbox once a month and get a sack full of 100.00 bills.

Comment

My house has gone up about 50% in value over the last 7 years. That is the type of investment I want to put my cash in. The risk is very low compared to the market.
        Just another way to think of it.

Yeah, but the house would have gone up whether you paid it off or not. Meanwhile, that money could have gone up 225% in the stock market, while you paid less than 3% a year in interest on the home loan, and STILL had the "option" to pay off your home at less than 2/3 of its' current value (since you "locked in" the price of the home 7 years ago, kinda like buying stock option).

Comment

What is the risk factor? What happens if we have a 9/11 again. If you have 600,000 in the market vs 600,000 in your house. My house is my biggest asset.
          Dont get me wrong, I put money in the market, but I am not putting a large percent in it.
          Yeah, housing bubbles also exist. Ask Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            Those rental house mortgage payments sure are fun to make after you lose your job.
            The renter is paying the mortgage on the rental...plus some cash flow to offset my loss of income. If I lose my job, more people probably lost their jobs. Thus the pool of people who need to rent goes up and demand for rentals go up.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
              You picked the last 7 years, not me. The $1 you put in the market in September 2001 is worth ~$2.50 today. Not to mention the money I put in monthly since then. I'm convinced the $1 I put in my house in 2001 isn't worth as much.

I'm not arguing what you are doing is wrong or not in your best interest. Just looking at the other side of the coin, no pun intended.
              You make it sound as if the market is a guarantee 225%. I have not found that to be true. None of my roth's have gone up anywhere close to that. I have found that you have to take huge risks in the market to get huge gains. I am not willing to do that. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                The renter is paying the mortgage on the rental...plus some cash flow to offset my loss of income. If I lose my job, more people probably lost their jobs. Thus the pool of people who need to rent goes up and demand for rentals go up.
                People that just lost their jobs are great at paying rent :/

I'm thinking this isn't going the way you wanted it to.

Comment

DO what you love to do as long as you can.
                  Too many stories of folks who save for retirement, and do retire, then die shortly after because they lose their drive. Alll that savings for what?

Comment

You make it sound as if the market is a guarantee 225%. I have not found that to be true. None of my roth's have gone up anywhere close to that. I have found that you have to take huge risks in the market to get huge gains. I am not willing to do that. To each his own.
                    S&P last 20 years has averaged 6% - if you are near or in retirement you cannot afford to be 100% in the market - so basing your returns off of 7 years is foolish IMO. If you were in the market in 2008 you lost 40% of your nest egg.

Nothing wrong with real estate as long as you have the cash to pay off any debt. If you have no debt on your real estate then that is good but it is NOT LIQUID if you need the money so you have to be able to hold out over the long term in a down housing market.
                    Last edited by TKK; 11-01-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

My house has gone up about 50% in value over the last 7 years. That is the type of investment I want to put my cash in. The risk is very low compared to the market.
                      Just another way to think of it.
                      You obviously have never lived through a real estate crash - I have lived through several - it can get nasty

Comment

Never said it was guaranteed. I just based my response on the same time period you were using.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                          People that just lost their jobs are great at paying rent :/

I'm thinking this isn't going the way you wanted it to.
                          Guess everyone that loses their job becomes homeless. Learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                          X