Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job offer rescinded - feeling broken (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offer rescinded - feeling broken (long read)

I work in DFW, for a fortune 500 company, which was recently (1st quarter 2019) acquired by a larger global organization. During the acquisition, it was explained that multiple divisions would be restructured.
    I updated my resume, updated my status on the various professional social media sites, and prepared myself for new opportunities.

On Monday, August 5th, 11:30 a.m. I had the fortune of interviewing with an organization, with a DFW division of employees that totaled 5 team members, and I was unexpectedly offered the position, while I was in the interview....... "You are the perfect match for what we need."!

That night, at 12:42 a.m. my wife received a (always hated) late call from my "bed bound" 77 y/o mother-in-law, stating that my father-in-law (who had been my MiL's caregiver) had fallen in their bathroom, and died unexpectedly of a heart attack.

At 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning, I received an offer letter from the company I interviewed with on Monday morning. The offer was a 20% financial increase in pay, offered a departmental bonus incentive, but had a 60%-70% world-wide travel requirement. It stated that the offer letter was only valid for 24hrs, and if I wanted the position, I needed to reply with a digital signature within that timeline.

I attempted to talk through these options with my grieving wife, but it was virtually impossible to separate her grief and our immediate challenges with my MiL, from the details surrounding me accepting the position.

On Tuesday morning, I called the hiring manager, and explained the situation and asked for an extension on the job offer. He contacted "Rebecca" in HR, who called and expressed her sympathy, but stated that "rules are rules" and if I wanted the position I had until 9:00a.m. on Wednesday morning to accept the position.

I was excited about the opportunity, and the chance to grow my technical skill. I talked about the decision as we waded through other immediate family decisions, and my beautiful wife said "Honey, we can do anything together, so GO FOR IT, and we will figure out what to do with mom!"

I wasn't willing to leave my current role in a state of disarray, and felt obligated to complete the outstanding projects that were still on my "plate".
    I accepted the position, but asked for a September 9th start date, and received a congratulatory email stating that my start date was accepted.

I spent the remaining week completing the funeral/family arrangements, and working on my outstanding projects.

I checked in with the hiring manager on Friday morning, the day of the burial, and completed the benefits enrollment package that evening, and was told that they had to complete their background screening, and that I would receive a notification code to take a drug test (I had "24 hrs to complete the drug screening.....so be watching closely for this email "), and was asked to submit my resignation letter and prepared to start my first day on 9/9/2019.

I excitedly waited to receive the Drug test notification....but it never came.

On Monday (August 12th) I called my current company divisional director, my boss, and explained that I had received an unexpected offer with another organization, and we outlined my exit plan. He understood my decision and congratulated me on the new opportunity.

I was literally in the process of writing my official resignation email, when I received an email alert, and this is what I found:

Dear Lenny:
    It is with deep regret that *** Corporate rescinds it offer of employment that was extended to
    you on August 7, 2019 for the position of Project Manager.
    This decision was based on an audit regarding the current structure of ***’s digital department.
    Therefore, due to the findings, we must go in a different direction and this position is being
    eliminated. We know we are losing out on a great candidate and just know that this decision
    was not an easy one.
    Please feel free to reach out to our Human Resources Department if you have any questions or
    concerns. Once again, we extend our sincerest apologies

During the interview, I explained that my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer on June 1st, and had an emergency double mastectomy performed on
    July 2nd, 2019 and was scheduled for another major surgery on November 4th. This was noted, and it was explained that I would need to be with her during her first week of recovery (2 days in ICU - 3 additional days in the hospital). This was negotiated with the hiring manager, and explained to the HR team before I accepted the position.

I'm painfully disappointed, but realize that I have no legal recourse, as we are a "right to work" state (which i fully support).

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar, and would you accept this behavior as "normal"? In my career, we would ALWAYS know that a position is available or eliminated....before we offered someone a new position within our company.

Also, do you guys think the cancer diagnosis that my family published on the Book of Faces, impacted their decision to rescind the offer?

As of this morning, I do not yet know that I will have a job as of September 9th, and I'm scared as Hell.

BTW....I am a 52 y/o professional - IT/Audio Visual (Sr. AV Technician) - if your organization is hiring!! I live in Forney TX, but have commuted for 25+ years into the Metro-Mess!

Thank you for listening to my rant....I'll take the prayers that are sent, because it's been a really really hard year for my family.

In my experience it happens, but is not normal to have a job offer retracted. Like you, in the past my company would not rescind an offer. but not all companies are the same. I think FB posts sometimes cause companies to evaluate/re-evaluate a person, but only if they are in poor taste, which I doubt your's was.

Hopefully it will work out for you...good luck

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Hope everything works out. Good Luck and keep you chin up.

Comment

So I don't think it's professional for them to expect a letter of resignation prior to the on boarding process being completed.

Comment

My son had this happen to him. He was hired by a company in Denver, quite his job, called back to get start the relocation and they basically told him the job was no longer available. On a bright note he works in the diesel industry and jobs are plentiful.

Best of luck and I hope things turn around for you.

Comment

You got to love Corporate BS.
            Prayers for you and your family

Comment

I learned very early to NEVER put a company's well being over my own...

Was working for a consulting firm and I had been interviewing as I was trying to relocate to Austin. I get a call that I'm being assigned onto a 3-year project for the government that would require a high level of clearance and a $20k background check, the cost of which was to be bore by my company (not the gov). They just wanted to make sure I'm okay doing some traveling for 3 years. I was, but felt bad making them pay $20k knowing I wasn't likely to be there for even 1 year.

I was honest. I was fired an hour later.

Watch your own back and no one else's in the business world.

Comment

Sounds like you did what you should do and they didn't. Don't sweat the stuff you cannot control! and the old cliche of everything happens for a reason, I expect to see a post from you in a couple months saying how everything worked out and you are so glad that it did! good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                  Sounds like you did what you should do and they didn't. Don't sweat the stuff you cannot control! and the old cliche of everything happens for a reason, I expect to see a post from you in a couple months saying how everything worked out and you are so glad that it did! good luck!
                  Good way to look at it right here! I know it probably feels like a kick in the gut, but everything does happen for a reason, and at some point you will look up and think, “I’m sure glad that didn’t work out.”

I’m sorry to hear about your FIL. I’ll send some prayers of comfort for y’all.
                  Last edited by TheHammer; 08-15-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                    I learned very early to NEVER put a company's well being over my own...

Watch your own back and no one else's in the business world.
                    Solid advice right here^.....

Comment

Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that POS company

As far as social media, companies stalk the crap out of potential employees so that very well may have played a role in what they did.

Comment

No experience with what you have described but I can offer some prayers. Hope things turn around for you.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Sorry to hear that but look at us as God’s hands at work. I really doubt putting anything about cancer on Facebook had anything to do with it.

A year and a half ago I accepted an offer that would have doubled my base but would have moved my family around every 5ish years. Wife and I spoke about it and she was okay because of who it was with. I was scheduled to start my on boarding the week after our first kid was due. Well she came a day late (on a Friday and I was to start Monday) and ended up in the NICU for a week. Obviously I did not leave and when I called to explain the situation and asked if we could delay a week or two till she was home and my girls were settled they said, “no, you’ve made it clear your priorities are not this company. You either make it out here by Monday morning or we will rescind the offer and go with another candidate”. Not getting that job has been amazing for my family

Comment

Not in the same boat but I got a job offer a few weeks back and now I’m in the waiting room for my physical. They told me my BP was high for me to relax about 30 mins and try again. I’m worried now, it’s not looking good for me...

Comment

Had something similar happen this past summer. I was interviewing for a teaching position for another district. The interview went very well and the principal said he couldn't wait to have me on board. The assistant principal even took the time to show me the campus after the interview, and showed me 'my' room. I was told they had to wait until that Friday to offer me the position (closing of the job posting) and would call me the following Monday.

The call never came. Point of the story- this bs can happen in any industry, even education. No doubt it stinks to high heaven. Hope things work out for ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X