Some Gun Legislation That Might Actually Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Gun Legislation That Might Actually Work

Greg Abbott wants, "to better protect our communities and our residents from mass shootings," and he's talked of creating laws to do so. Well let's give him one that actually has a chance of making a difference.

Wouldn't it be great to get behind a movement started right here on TBH (in truth I'm sure others have promoted the same thing in the past)? Maybe after several years of Texas suffering these tragedies we might be ready as the voters to stand up and do something logical to improve our chances.

Here at least we all know that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. What law could be passed to increase the number of good guys with guns out there? Texas should no longer require a permit to conceal carry in the state. Utah, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Vermont, Wyoming and (with restrictions) Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire and New Mexico already allow their citizens to do so. How is it the great state of TX does not? How many people want to conceal carry but haven't gotten around to taking the class and/or spending the money? More good guys with guns means higher chances of someone intervening in these tragic incidents. It means saving lives.

If Greg Abbott really wants to do something, not only is this something his base could get behind but it's a law that could actually make a difference.

Disclaimer: The above list was found on ammoland.com and I can only assume it is accurate.

I fully agree with you that Texas should be no permit needed state, but do you think that more people with guns would prevent these shootings or simply help to stop them sooner. I'm in favor of it either way. I've spent plenty of time considering this issue professionally and personally with friends and family, and I found any good ideas for actual prevention.

Different groups hope to to introduce plenty of new guns laws, but upon honest review even the authors of these laws admit that it wouldn't really prevent any of the recent mass shooters.

How do we identify the mental condition that exists in a human that makes them want to kill others in mass? The gun is simply the tool of choice at the moment, but history shows us, fires, bombs, cars, biological or chemical weapons, even simple swords have been used by similar people to accomplish their terrible means of spreading pain and suffering.

Perhaps the future will bring us some advanced AI algorithm (Minority Report) that can flag a person for a mental health review and get them help before it is to late.

Comment

Originally posted by GVS View Post
      I fully agree with you that Texas should be no permit needed state, but do you think that more people with guns would prevent these shootings or simply help to stop them sooner. I'm in favor of it either way. I've spent plenty of time considering this issue professionally and personally with friends and family, and I found any good ideas for actual prevention.

Different groups hope to to introduce plenty of new guns laws, but upon honest review even the authors of these laws admit that it wouldn't really prevent any of the recent mass shooters.

How do we identify the mental condition that exists in a human that makes them want to kill others in mass? The gun is simply the tool of choice at the moment, but history shows us, fires, bombs, cars, biological or chemical weapons, even simple swords have been used by similar people to accomplish their terrible means of spreading pain and suffering.

Perhaps the future will bring us some advanced AI algorithm (Minority Report) that can flag a person for a mental health review and get them help before it is to late.
      I agree that the problem is a societal one and that this would only serve to minimize rather than eliminate but that's a thousand times better than the laws being proposed that will have no impact.

Comment

You guys sound like you believe the anti gun nuts really care about saving human life’s,I believe they are just all about un arming the citizens for ease of control. And they need gun violence to give there agenda momentum. But I’m probably just Paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisible Man View Post
          You guys sound like you believe the anti gun nuts really care about saving human life’s,I believe they are just all about un arming the citizens for ease of control. And they need gun violence to give there agenda momentum. But I’m probably just Paranoid.
          1000% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
            Greg Abbott wants, "to better protect our communities and our residents from mass shootings," and he's talked of creating laws to do so. Well let's give him one that actually has a chance of making a difference.

Wouldn't it be great to get behind a movement started right here on TBH (in truth I'm sure others have promoted the same thing in the past)? Maybe after several years of Texas suffering these tragedies we might be ready as the voters to stand up and do something logical to improve our chances.

Here at least we all know that the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. What law could be passed to increase the number of good guys with guns out there? Texas should no longer require a permit to conceal carry in the state. Utah, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Vermont, Wyoming and (with restrictions) Idaho, Montana, New Hampshire and New Mexico already allow their citizens to do so. How is it the great state of TX does not? How many people want to conceal carry but haven't gotten around to taking the class and/or spending the money? More good guys with guns means higher chances of someone intervening in these tragic incidents. It means saving lives.

If Greg Abbott really wants to do something, not only is this something his base could get behind but it's a law that could actually make a difference.

Disclaimer: The above list was found on ammoland.com and I can only assume it is accurate.
            Makes more sense than open carry with a license. The element of surprise is a good deterrent against criminals. They don't like to get caught with their pants down.

Comment

I don't think you are paranoid at all. Particularly not if you are in SoCal! It is a human problem as old as recorded history. Guns are just getting all the attention today. There are many groups that believe they would benefit from a disarmed society, so they use it to their advantage.

I really do think it is a problem, not guns, but violent actors trying to inflict mass casualties. As more and more of the people in the US move from rural to urban settings, I think it will just get worse. If we can't find a solution to the prevention problem, I'm afraid we will loose the fight to keep our guns.

Comment

Mississippi has constitutional carry, no CHL required. They also have nothing like our .30/06 and .30/07 laws where a business can post that they don't allow you to carry there.

Comment

Let's do constitutional carry but still leave me with the privilege I have from having my LTC.

Traffic stops are much more fun after handing the officer my license. Think I'm at 20% ticket rate since getting my ltc

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

You most certainly are not paranoid. They called us crazies and conspiracy theorists when we’ve said for years that the left wants to take our guns.

Boy are they ****ing ballsy now! They aren’t even hiding the agenda anymore !
                    And yes it is 100% about controlling the masses.

Same reason behind all this climate change bull****. - their proposals will crash the economy by design and render more people dependent on who?? That’s right, big government!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                      Mississippi has constitutional carry, no CHL required. They also have nothing like our .30/06 and .30/07 laws where a business can post that they don't allow you to carry there.
                      So who wants to start selling the shirts?

Front:
                      Governor Abbott,

Time to make a change.

Back:
                      Constitutional Carry Now!

Comment

Putting insane people in mental institutions would do a LOT more toward reducing mass shootings than constitutional carry would. I'm all for constitutional carry, don't get me wrong. But mental health reform is far more important. There's a ton of guns being legally (and probably not so legally) carried already. Doesn't stop a nut case like the guy in Midland the other day. He should have been institutionalized a long time ago. That would have stopped him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Putting insane people in mental institutions would do a LOT more toward reducing mass shootings than constitutional carry would. I'm all for constitutional carry, don't get me wrong. But mental health reform is far more important. There's a ton of guns being legally (and probably not so legally) carried already. Doesn't stop a nut case like the guy in Midland the other day. He should have been institutionalized a long time ago. That would have stopped him.
                          Yes sir, and when did we get rid of mental institutions?
                          Sure seems like I re member them in the 80's. Now the mentally Ill crap on the streets, run out in front of trucks and buy guns.

Comment

That and the drugs given to our children by our docs and big pharma that nobody wants to address!

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                              That and the drugs given to our children by our docs and big pharma that nobody wants to address!
                              I addressed it.....no dope for my kids. I really dont understand why so many parents think it's ok for their children to be on mind altering drugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X