No announcement yet.

Palo Duro Canyon- TPWD Exotic Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drew that permit many years ago. As luck would have it, a forecasted winter storm was to blow in. 3 days prior to the hunt TPW cancelled the hunt for fear of bad weather. Since I don't live that direction, I am not sure the bad weather conditions ever materialized. We were offered no rain check; no refund either.

and of course - never drawn the permit again since.

Comment

That’s going to be an awesome hunt, Jared!

Congrats again!

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
        I drew that permit many years ago. As luck would have it, a forecasted winter storm was to blow in. 3 days prior to the hunt TPW cancelled the hunt for fear of bad weather. Since I don't live that direction, I am not sure the bad weather conditions ever materialized. We were offered no rain check; no refund either.

and of course - never drawn the permit again since.

Dang. That’s some tough luck. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
          That’s going to be an awesome hunt, Jared!

Congrats again!

Thanks Hunter!! I’m pumped. Hopefully I’ll be bringing a ram back by the lease Friday evening on the way home.

Comment

My hunt there still ranks as one of my all-time favorite hunts ever! In case someone has not told you yet, take plenty of gun for those suckers!! They are tough animals! The year my brother and I went, there were 21 permits issued and 21 sheep were killed. Of the 21 sheep killed mine was the only one taken with one shot. I shot the sucker from up on top. He was near the bottom of the canyon on an outcropping... I hit him up side the neck about 1/2 way between his shoulder and head with a .270 loaded with Nosler 120 gr. partitioned bullets behind 55.5 gr. of IMR 4350 traveling about 3200 fps. The shot did not knock him down at first. He just dropped his head and staggered off sort of sideways and dropped off the ledge down about 15-20 feet further into the canyon. Took us until 9:00 PM that night to get him up out of the canyon... My brother's sheep was on top. He shot it 5 times dead through the shoulders as he trotted along a canyon ledge (right above the lighthouse on that canyon wall). After the fifth shot with no signs of being hit, the sheep stopped and jumped off the ledge and plunged a good 150 feet down and hit the ground on a steep slope... All 5 shots were in a group you could cover up with a coffee cup. Three of which were pass thru's... He never even staggered while being shot... He was shooting the same load as I was. Another friend shot his sheep quartering away with a 300 H&H mag. First shot entered on the back side of the shoulder and exited between shoulder and neck on off-side. Second shot was about 2 joints down the neck below the ear. Both shots were about 100 yards. The shoulder shot did not knock him down! All that to say, don't go after these suckers with a pop gun! After the hunt, I felt under gunned with that .270, but at the time, that's all I had...

Comment

Congrats and what an awesome hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                My hunt there still ranks as one of my all-time favorite hunts ever! In case someone has not told you yet, take plenty of gun for those suckers!! They are tough animals! The year my brother and I went, there were 21 permits issued and 21 sheep were killed. Of the 21 sheep killed mine was the only one taken with one shot. I shot the sucker from up on top. He was near the bottom of the canyon on an outcropping... I hit him up side the neck about 1/2 way between his shoulder and head with a .270 loaded with Nosler 120 gr. partitioned bullets behind 55.5 gr. of IMR 4350 traveling about 3200 fps. The shot did not knock him down at first. He just dropped his head and staggered off sort of sideways and dropped off the ledge down about 15-20 feet further into the canyon. Took us until 9:00 PM that night to get him up out of the canyon... My brother's sheep was on top. He shot it 5 times dead through the shoulders as he trotted along a canyon ledge (right above the lighthouse on that canyon wall). After the fifth shot with no signs of being hit, the sheep stopped and jumped off the ledge and plunged a good 150 feet down and hit the ground on a steep slope... All 5 shots were in a group you could cover up with a coffee cup. Three of which were pass thru's... He never even staggered while being shot... He was shooting the same load as I was. Another friend shot his sheep quartering away with a 300 H&H mag. First shot entered on the back side of the shoulder and exited between shoulder and neck on off-side. Second shot was about 2 joints down the neck below the ear. Both shots were about 100 yards. The shoulder shot did not knock him down! All that to say, don't go after these suckers with a pop gun! After the hunt, I felt under gunned with that .270, but at the time, that's all I had...

Gah dang!! That’s unbelievable!! I know they are tough animals. Ive shot a few ewes for a buddy of mine before but that was on a HF place and the shot was fairly close.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                  Congrats and what an awesome hunt.

Thank you!! Looking forward to it!! I’ll keep y’all updated!!

Comment

This will be awesome to follow! Good luck!

Comment

Plenty of info and discussions, both here and on the Texas Hunting Forum. Its a great hunt. The walk in and out is a *****, now they will let you camp in there overnight. You'll have to have a GPS also. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                        Plenty of info and discussions, both here and on the Texas Hunting Forum. Its a great hunt. The walk in and out is a *****, now they will let you camp in there overnight. You'll have to have a GPS also. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!! I’ll have to do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                          This will be awesome to follow! Good luck!

Thanks buddy!!

Comment

Congrats on y'all getting drawn. We got to do this last year, and it was a blast. We did not get any sheep, although there were a few taken. The weather could certainly be brutal that time of year, but you never know. We went at about the same time you are going and the weather was marvelous, with highs in the high 60's. We didn't see any snakes, but it was plenty sunny and they were on our minds.

We hunted Cita Canyon, south of the state park. There are four hunting compartments. Compartment numbers 3 and 4 will require additional time/effort in actually getting to and from your hunting area. These areas are not for the out-of-shape types. Numbers 1 and 2 seem to be 'easier' to hunt. It's rough-arse country, so y'all make sure to work on getting physically ready.

There's quite a bit of more detailed accounts of this hunt located throughout this site. Do a search. TBHer 'SolocamAggie', did a nice write-up last year of a very successful hunt at Cita Canyon. Good luck!
                            Last edited by sandbill; 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM.

Comment

So cool! I’d love to do that hunt! Good luck to y’all. Please please take lots of pics and tell us all about your experience

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                                Congrats on y'all getting drawn. We got to do this last year, and it was a blast. We did not get any sheep, although there were a few taken. The weather could certainly be brutal that time of year, but you never know. We went at about the same time you are going and the weather was marvelous, with highs in the high 60's. We didn't see any snakes, but it was plenty sunny and they were on our minds.

We hunted Cita Canyon, south of the state park. There are four hunting compartments. Compartment numbers 3 and 4 will require additional time/effort in actually getting to and from your hunting area. These areas are not for the out-of-shape types. Numbers 1 and 2 seem to be 'easier' to hunt. It's rough-arse country, so y'all make sure to work on getting physically ready.

There's quite a bit of more detailed accounts of this hunt located throughout this site. Do a search. TBHer 'SolocamAggie', did a nice write-up last year of a very successful hunt at Cita Canyon. Good luck!

Man, I appreciate all the information!! Sounds like y’all had a great time. I could care less if we shoot something (although it would nice). Just getting the opportunity to hunt such a beautiful place and a different type of hunting than I’m use to makes the experience what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X