Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like to say Thank You to all the non-vets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coop, great post. You have touched on a subject that a lot of us old Vietnam vets have stowed away in the bitter side of our hearts. I remember coming home in dress uniform, a woman in the San Francisco airport actually spit at me. Had other encounters, met with total disrespect. I am 60 years old now but images are still very vivid. Sorry for the rant. Well done Mr. Cooper.

Comment

you boys and gals are true American HEROES!!!

Comment

Thank you and all who have served! I was too young for Vietnam and chose a different route after high school. I do appreciate what you and others have done for us.

So, welcome home and thank you!

If given the chance I'd love to thank you in person some day.

Comment

Thank to you who served!

Comment

Thank you!!

My dad is a Vietnam vet also.

11th ACR in 1966 and 67 if I remember correctly.

He went in as a tank mechanic and 3 days later he was back in infantry.

11 months later, he was sent home with a herniated disc from an explosion under a tank.

He is a very proud veteran and I am proud of him!!

Comment

Thank you guys. You are the true heros. I am sincerely thankful for the job all of you have done. Welcome home!! Thank You!!!

Comment

Because you went and did what you did, I didn't have to go. THANK YOU for the freedoms I enjoy and take for granted every day.

Comment

Thanks for the service guys.
                  My Uncle was just in town for his reunion and to march in the parade in SA. Had him over for dinner sunday and told him if he had a few friends he wanted to bring they were welcome too. He brought 3 more guys with him. We watched football had a few cold ones and dinner. They were very appreciative for the invite and I now have 3 more family members that are always welcome in my home as well as my family in theirs. My children also have a better understanding of the bond these guys have and how a group of guys may not see each other for years but are still brothers.

Thanks again for the service everyone,

Jerry

Comment

As a kid during Vietnam all I can offer as service was to have worked at my church. Any of you Nam era vets ever go through Love Field Airport here in Dallas during that time, may remember a little Baptist church on the side of the airport that would shuttle soldiers back and forth while waiting flights. We had food, beds, games, phones and someone to talk to if needed. I was too young to drive() so I worked at the church doing whatever. We did that over most of the last part of the 60s until the last soldier came home. The church even got a couple of Presidential commendations from Pres. Nixon for supporting our troops.
                    I am not telling you this for any selfish reason, but to let you all know that not everyone wanted to spit on you. Many of us were very proud of your service.
                    Again, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by coop View Post
                      I am a Vietnam veteran and I saw combat as an M60 gunner in an infantry rifle squad. I don’t post very often but after reading all the post thanking the veterans I decided that I needed to thank all you non-veterans.

I hold no hard feelings for anyone that did not serve in Vietnam. Some were just luckier that others. I am still bitter toward those that ran for Canada, the Jane Fonda types and the protesters that met our plane on my return. We were spit on, called baby killers and many profanities were thrown our way as well as fesses.

I can’t speak for every Vet but I know that a great many of us never expected to come home to the ticker tape parades that our fathers saw after WWII but we really wanted a “welcome home” and maybe a well done.

All combat veterans carry their scars, some visible and others of the mind and soul. You may never know how much a simple thank you or welcome home means to these returning Vets.

This is why I want to say Thank you. You may never know how much good you do.

Jerry L. Cooper
                      I DITTO..thanks all!!

Comment

Originally posted by holepuncher View Post
                        I missed the draft by one year and I can honestly say, it was by the grace of god, don't get me wrong i would have reported for induction without a moments hesitation.I planned for it my whole senior year in high school.My Older brother served in Army. And you know come to think of it I have never said Thank You to him. So Thanks "Longstick" I love you Bro.
                        I LOVE YOU TOO LITTLE BROTHER

Comment

Thanks Jerry! I was in the pool but it was all over before my number hit. You guys deserved a whole lot better than what you got. I still go up to a vet when I recognize one and tell them thanks. To see the pride come alive is a great thing. Again, thanks for keeping this one of the greatest nations on this earth.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                            As a kid during Vietnam all I can offer as service was to have worked at my church. Any of you Nam era vets ever go through Love Field Airport here in Dallas during that time, may remember a little Baptist church on the side of the airport that would shuttle soldiers back and forth while waiting flights. We had food, beds, games, phones and someone to talk to if needed. I was too young to drive() so I worked at the church doing whatever. We did that over most of the last part of the 60s until the last soldier came home. The church even got a couple of Presidential commendations from Pres. Nixon for supporting our troops.
                            I am not telling you this for any selfish reason, but to let you all know that not everyone wanted to spit on you. Many of us were very proud of your service.
                            Again, thank you
                            X2

Comment

Originally posted by head View Post
                              you boys and gals are true American HEROES!!!
                              x2

Comment

Old vets

I was a grunt with Co D 2/5 Infantry, 1st Air Cavalry Division 70-71. Never got spit on or cussed at. Don't think I would've stood for that after living like an animal for a year.

Have two sons serving now. One is recuperating from injuries at Ft Hood. The other is a grunt in Baghdad on his second tour.

Lot's of great Americans who serve in other ways.

Comment

Working...
                                X