Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
    Just a nugget to ponder....

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers?
    While I understand your point, this is a different place in time and that generation still lives, as where the generation the dealt with slavery is long long gone.

I don’t know exactly who said it but “erasing history and not learning about it will cause us to repeat it”, I believe to be very true. What people also forget and are never taught in school, is slavery was not about race or skin color, slaves were of all ethnicities and at some point in time every race, color, or ethnicity was enslaved somewhere in this world. So to me to be offended by this is just a cry for attention and absolutely ridiculous. I personally don’t agree with slavery, I have members in my family tree that served in the confederacy, but that’s just how things were 150 years ago, it was life, and I am proud of my heritage whether I think it was right or wrong.

To the OP... it’s a sad sad thing they are wanting to change the name of a school of a truly honorable man in my standards even though he was a slave owner. The soft libs already changed Robert E. Lee high school in San Antonio to Lee high school several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      The current people pulling crap like this along with the race baiters are the ones keeping the sores open. Most people could care less as it has zero impact on their daily lives but again it’s the tail wagging the dog.
      There would be no crap to pull if they weren't there ...

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
        While I understand your point, this is a different place in time and that generation still lives, as where the generation the dealt with slavery is long long gone.

I don’t know exactly who said it but “erasing history and not learning about it will cause us to repeat it”, I believe to be very true. What people also forget and are never taught in school, is slavery was not about race or skin color, slaves were of all ethnicities and at some point in time every race, color, or ethnicity was enslaved somewhere in this world. So to me to be offended by this is just a cry for attention and absolutely ridiculous. I personally don’t agree with slavery, I have members in my family tree that served in the confederacy, but that’s just how things were 150 years ago, it was life, and I am proud of my heritage whether I think it was right or wrong.

To the OP... it’s a sad sad thing they are wanting to change the name of a school of a truly honorable man in my standards even though he was a slave owner. The soft libs already changed Robert E. Lee high school in San Antonio to Lee high school several years ago.
        The Families are very much alive and well ...

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          I guess you would be in favor on renaming all the things named Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Madison, Adams, etc.....

Where does it stop? Its just so stupid that I can't believe this is a "thing".

Many in Tyler have said that if REL's name is changed, that the other high school (John Tyler) be changed as well ALONG with the entire city name.

What fires me up about this more than anything is the person leading this. He has ZERO ties to Tyler or Robert E. Lee High School. He moved here and stirred up this **** show. I have talked to him on a few different occasions and he only replies that the school's name is racist and we (those who oppose the change) are racist for not wanting to change the name. I have spoken to friends and coworkers (white, black, hispanic) who all think it's ridiculous to change the name. Some went to REL, some to John Tyler and others from outside of Tyler.

Comment

I signed it...

Robert E. Lee HS here in houston was changed to "wisdom high school"... The only wisdom going on there is how to be an MS13 member lol

Comment

I find it ironic that most of the people wanting Confederate statues removed and school names changed are Democrats.........just like all of the people on those statues and signs. What the kids really need to be taught is that Democrats hung on to slavery, Jim Crow laws, and segregation like ticks on a dog. Democrats started the KKK, passed laws to keep blacks unarmed, blocked the doorways of schools to keep blacks out, etc. Now, they've conveniently forgotten all that history that shows what a sorry lot they are.

Comment

The fact is that Human history/existence is a brutal, bloody, painful thing. If you actually took a look back in history in an attempt to remove anything related to atrocities or that may offend some group of people, you would literally be left with nothing.

This is why the question "where does it stop" is so valid here.

Comment

I believe it is easy to find where it stops.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                    I believe it is easy to find where it stops.
                    Where is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      The fact is that Human history/existence is a brutal, bloody, painful thing. If you actually took a look back in history in an attempt to remove anything related to atrocities or that may offend some group of people, you would literally be left with nothing.

This is why the question "where does it stop" is so valid here.

Agree. You can try to erase history all you want. Just ensures that it will be repeated because you don’t learn from it.

People have been doing evil things since the dawn of time and they will continue to do it until the end of time. Still shouldn’t be erased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Since there are records of union troops slaughtering and raping women and children, do we take down anything related to Grant?

Comment

Not a single black, Afro-American or whatever they want to be called alive today was ever a slave. Get over it. Next thing we'll be writing them a reparations check cause their great, great, great, great grand pappy was.

Comment

I'm white so it doesn't bather me. Maybe it should. Maybe I'm racist. I'm told everyday on the book of faces that I am...
                            Them schools/statues probably never should have been put up but they were. Kinda late to be bitching about them now.

Comment

It's all feel good Bull. People are too quick to say, Why Not, to idiotic ideas. These idiotic ideas are eating away at our culture, our society and our freedoms.

Slavery was abolished in 1865 with the 13th amendment to the Constitution. No one alive today was a slave and yet we lay down when confronted by the Left (not liberals, the Left) because people in charge don't want the publicity or the headache and expense that comes from fighting these people. You can't change the past by renaming a school.

I am glad that the OP is standing up to this and I hope more people in Tyler join him.

Comment

Remember when ESPN pulled the Asian announcer from announcing a basketball game. Because his name is Robert Lee.

I mean that is pretty racist. To think somebodies name will trigger people.

Comment

Working...
                                X