Tell me about Catahoulas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My beloved Golden died a few years ago and I’m kinda being drawn towards the Catahoula. I don’t dove hunt like I used to, so I don’t need a retriever. Catahoulas seem like cool dogs as they can track and seem to be tough dogs. Not tough fighting, just able to navigate the woods where my property is. I live in the city and it would be a house dog like my Golden. Can they be house dogs? Are they that high energy? Good with my kiddos? 7&12. All your thoughts are appreciated.

I’ve got 2 that used to be hog dogs that live the retired life in the house now, with my 2 kids that are 7&10. I have no complaints what so ever, they are protective over my children they love them and take all the ear pulling, food stealing, tail pulling, and laying all over them that my kids dish out without a disagreement one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love both of nine and not sure if I will ever have another breed. I do love heelers but enjoy blood tracking with my catahoulas. They are very high energy but they can still relax around the house at times but mine are full speed 80% of the time. Take them on a couple mile run a day to burn off some energy and they still have plenty to spare. If you have the room for them and the time to work with them they can be great dogs. Not sure of they would be my breed of choice if I lived in the city though.

Comment

Higher energy than a lab. On the crazy/hot matrix they are between a border collie and a heeler

Comment

I have been a certified breeder of catahoulas since the 80's so I have had more than most people have even seen. They are a high energy, high prey drive, hard headed breed. They are first and foremost a working breed. While there are exceptions they are normally only ok at being a pet because they need a job to burn off their excess energy. I really do not recommend them as pets. The biggest problem that the breed faces right now are crappy breeders that are trying to tap into the pet market. If you do decide to get one avoid any that have white around the eye and/or the base of the ears. These dogs have genetic issues that will affect their sight and hearing....but for some reason new people always seem to be drawn to them. Any good breeder will put those types of puppies down when they are born. I could keep going on but if you have any questions please send me a message. I have been around catahoula for a very long time and will gladly talk your ear off about them.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
            I have been a certified breeder of catahoulas since the 80's so I have had more than most people have even seen. They are a high energy, high prey drive, hard headed breed. They are first and foremost a working breed. While there are exceptions they are normally only ok at being a pet because they need a job to burn off their excess energy. I really do not recommend them as pets. The biggest problem that the breed faces right now are crappy breeders that are trying to tap into the pet market. If you do decide to get one avoid any that have white around the eye and/or the base of the ears. These dogs have genetic issues that will affect their sight and hearing....but for some reason new people always seem to be drawn to them. Any good breeder will put those types of puppies down when they are born. I could keep going on but if you have any questions please send me a message. I have been around catahoula for a very long time and will gladly talk your ear off about them.

-john
            Thank you for the insight.

Comment

I love mine, she is a big baby. But she does have a little crazy in .

Comment

Working...
              X