Offset smoker cleaning/care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offset smoker cleaning/care

How do y’all take care of your smokers? Just rake out the coals once in a while? Or deep clean and oil it each time? Any major do’s or dont’s?

Thanks.

I try to clean out the fire box after every cook as the ashes will hold moisture and I just use a pear burner to clean the racks off before every use. Depending on how often you cook, I like to scrape out my pit about twice a year to help keep clean. The pear burner is the best tool n my opinion to get the fire going and cleaning off grates.

Comment

Good question. I'm waiting to hear of alternative ways too.

I've been using a food grade de-greaser from Lowes. But, you don't want to strip away too much. You want to keep it seasoned somewhat. If you don't get many replies, re-ask your question with a picture of a steak or something from your pit. Those post have a lot of traffic.

Comment

Taking the old coals out after a cook is key to keeping it from rusting out. I’ll clean it out depending on how much crap builds up. If you sauce your meat a lot then you will end up with more gunk built up.

Comment

I clean the fire box after every time I cook on it and clean the grill off when im done

Comment

I try to wash out the old coals the next day.

Comment

Clean out the ashes from the firebox the next day...only touch the grate with a brush after the smoker is reheated the next time if it needs it. To me....the fat and prior oils from the previous cook, keeps the grate from rusting in between cooks.

Comment

I just use shop vac and vacuum the very little ashes from the pellet smoker. Wipe the grates and done. Very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                  I just use shop vac and vacuum the very little ashes from the pellet smoker. Wipe the grates and done. Very easy.
                  Don’t compare a diesel to a Prius

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                    Don’t compare a diesel to a Prius
                    I’ve driven those diesels. To much maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by ttu tx hunter View Post
                      don’t compare a diesel to a prius

hahahahaha

Comment

Always get the ash out of the firebox. The acidity or moisture will accelerate damage. Rub outside with Wd40 and all hinges or moving parts. Depending on how often you use, you will need to get grease and food particles out

Comment

Thanks folks.

Comment

Working...
                          X