Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvesting Osage Questions...I'm Back (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvesting Osage Questions...I'm Back (pics)

First off I'd like to say that we had no idea what we were doing so we just went at it. It was cold and raining so that slowed us down because we couldn't get to the better areas due to the sloppy ground.
    We started in Kirk's yard with some limbs that looked good then moved to Mathew's land for actual trunks.
    I'd like to thank Kirk and Mathew for not only providing the wood but most of the labor as well. "Jeez, Kirk let me pound a wedge."

Can't figure out how to insert comments for photos.
    That first one is a 3" limb. Split it or make one bow out of it?
    Kirk on left Mathew on right. Good fellers.
    I'm on the right with the "Come and Take it" shirt.
    Jeep loaded down with Osage.
    Bad knot on the trunk we cut at Mathews.
    Crazy critter I have never seen before after splitting the top part of the trunk.
    What I've only halved so far. Need ya'lls expertise to continue.
    Critter fell out of slot at bottom right.
    Any help is appreciated because I don't know if I even have good Osage or not.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20140308_133543 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	25010858
    Attached Files

Hard to tell from the pics, on how to actually judge the size, but there may be some bows there. Kind of depends on how much wood is still there after removing the bark and some sapwood. I don't think I would split it anymore than you did. The limb would be interesting because you would probably have to make a D-bow from it. I've never truly harvested osage either but I'd think I would be looking for the thickest trunks I could find. Again, hard to tell without putting hands on it. But some of the coolest selfbows I've seen came from narly, snakey wood that looked like a challenge.

Comment

Wire the 4 staves back together so they won't backset too much

Comment

I would not split it yet, when you cut the limb off, seal the ends and let it sit for a year or so to dry out....

Comment

how eager are you to start a bow? you can split out a stave..debark it ,chase your ring,then woodglue the entire back and ends...then work the stave to near bow dimensions,,and it will dry quicker,,you can rope the stave to something straight like a 4×4,,and that can reduce twist or stop it entirely,,in a few months not a year you can make your bow.

Comment

Sorry about answering so late but I had another gut attack and have been down.
            Thanks for the advice very much, guys.
            Never heard of roping or wiring it back together but may try it. I thought you had to let them get air while drying. I don't have a draw knife and don't have a clue how to rough them in so they'll stay as they are while drying I guess.
            May get one of you that lives close by to come by and look at it and see what you think can be done with them.

Comment

I know next to nothing about selfbows but that bottom picture appears to have some worm eaten spots. I have harvested some hickory in the past that I could not use for takedown risers because it was worm eaten. Might have been ok but I was not comfortable with it. I would think it would be much more critical when the damage is in the working portion of the bow.

Comment

when you chase your chosen ring its possible to get past the worm eaten bits..sometimes they go clean through but most often they dont go much beyond the sapwood.
                im working a wormy stave now...just had to go down about three rings to get to good wood.
                as far as a drawknife ,,truth is you can use a hunting knife,machete ,,
                hell you can use a handaxe if need be...just something that has a blade,,and hair shaving sharp is not always the best.
                Honestly you can build a bow with 4 simple tools,ferriers rasp,hand axe,knife,,sandpaper Natives used rocks and elbow grease for centuries....lol

Comment

Working...
                X