Cool find in Grandma's garage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool find in Grandma's garage!

My grandparents hail from Minneapolis originally. While my grandfather was in college, he worked part time for a fiberglass company. They made Paul Bunyan bows and fishing rods and other things. Found 4 Paul Bunyan bows in my grandma's garage tonight, and she let me take them. They are from the 50's and in great condition.

The first is a green fiberglass longbow with a brown handle. Model (or serial?) #15. Doesn't have any draw weight information on it.

The second looks the same, model (or serial) #20, 27# @ 28"

The third is a tan limbed, leather over plastic handle, horn tipped #35 above patent pend. The sticker says Paul Bunyan 300, with CG above it. Not sure if 35 is the serial or what.

The 4th is the same as the 3rd, but says #50 above pat pend. The sticker has the Paul Bunyan 100 with JF below it.

Also included was a box full of old fiberglass and wood arrows, with old 3 blade bod-a-kin broadheads, some field points, and old fishing points on them.

Pretty cool find! I'm going to make new strings for these and put them back to use. I'll have pics up later, and plan to do more research.

Ive got a 60lb at 28 that my dad left me.Tan with leather over plastic grip. That thing stacks bad.

Comment

Cool find!!!

Comment

Thats a neet find! You can practice making strings for them with the new jig.

Comment

It's always cool to find treasures like that

Comment

Those bodkin heads are really cool.

Comment

Sorry, they are Bod-Kin-A.

Guess I'll find out how bad they stack for me after I get them strung.

One of the longbows was still strung, and after unstringing it has quite a bit of set.
              Last edited by PSD Ryan; 12-31-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the cool find!

Comment

Some of the logos and markings:

Horn tips:

The 4 bows:

The fishing point and bod-kin-a

Bunch of glass and wood arrows! All natural feathers that need replacing.

Comment

sweet

Comment

Wow, what an amazing find. CONGRATS!!

Comment

So uh, how long do I make the strings for these things? 4" shorter than unstrung nock to nock for the recurves and 3" for the longbows?

Comment

Sweet find!

Comment

Comment

Measure the bows along the belly and start from their, make one string then test fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X