Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Caliber...want something new, last one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only readily available caliber that will do something you can't do with the 5.56 and 6.8 would be an SBR 300 BO.

The 308 and 6.5 grendal are going to be your long range deer hunting guns, the 5.56 will kill any predator from 0- whatever you can hit it.

A short, light 300 BO is great for sub 200 yards deer, will be lighter and move maneuverable than the grendal and 308. It is fun to shoot and really quiet with subs and a can. I have even shot 2 coyotes and dropped them dead with barnes bullets.

Comment

Falkor .300 win mag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 260 and love it a little heavy. It's based on a dpms lr shoots great to 1000 yards. I also just got some Grendel components to build me a lighter rifle. If I was you I'd got .458 socom, I used to have a 50 beawolf and that was awesome too.

Comment

I built a 204 a while back, sold it on here to a guy. Awesome gun and super accurate. One of those guns I wish I never sold.

I used your "standard" ar parts. Went top end on a shilien barrel that I had fluted and threaded for a suppressor. Nice G2 trigger and a PRS stock.

Prolly build another one some day

Comment

I vote .458 socom, big bore for big critters!

Comment

7.62X39 AR. Fantastic critter cartridge, low recoil, easy on the wallet. I have 3 of them, one for each kid!! At least thats how I sold it. On pigs, its just very, very, effective.

Here's one of my reviews and some pig whacking:

Comment

theres a nice 762 39 mutant in the classifieds here. that would be cool. or a shorty 300 bo. an 8-10 inch 300 blackout suppressed subsonic is a fun little gun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Id say a light weight 9mm carbine.. it could be your jack rabbit / turtle blaster/ plinker and small pig gun

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                    458 socom or 50 Beowulf

Go big or go home. Ha
                    Yup

Comment

AR Caliber...want something new, last one!

6.8 won't do anything your Grendel won't do. Really with what you have you have everything covered.

But a 300 Blackout is nice, low recoil, low muzzle flash/blast, very effective 250 yards and in. But I personally see absolutely no need to have one with any longer than an 8-9" barrel.

Really anything else you get will get into the realm of odd calibers with limited ammo availability or questionable reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Low recoil, and commercialy available ammo. I would get an AR57.

Comment

AR10 built right in 260

Lilja barrel, mega maten receiver sets. Etc. I've been dragging *** not building one for years. I need to do it. 6.5x47 is another good option. There's factory ammo for it.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              6.8 won't do anything your Grendel won't do. Really with what you have you have everything covered.

But a 300 Blackout is nice, low recoil, low muzzle flash/blast, very effective 250 yards and in. But I personally see absolutely no need to have one with any longer than an 8-9" barrel.

Really anything else you get will get into the realm of odd calibers with limited ammo availability or questionable reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              The Grendel is my favorite...so far and won't let the 3 son's even fight for it, lol! Does the 300 BO in sub or super provide that much better ballistics than say the 5.56? NO experience with the 300 at all. I do have some experience with the 204 and love the round, but only experience with the bolt action.

Just like to play with the AR platforms and shoulders don't react well to the higher recoil even with the 308.

Comment

I have a buddy who just recently had a 204 built and has already taken a half dozen coyotes with it. He has always been a bolt gun guy but says his is a cats meow on the yotes.

Comment

Working...
                                X