X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOC increase

Im shooting a 419 grain arrow
    Its 29.5" long
    My FOC is 11.4% i'd like to get it over 16. Does anyone know many more grains I need to add up front?

Your quest to the magical f.o.c

Comment

I'm like 14% with a 42 grain outsert and a 100 grain head. 28" arrow with blazers. From talking to muddy with 2" feathers I'd be around 16-18%

Comment

Depends on the GPI of your arrows and quite a bit of other stuff

Comment

FOC increase

My arrows are 27 1/2" with 158gr up front and my FOC is 15.2% with a 8.1 gpi arrow.
          Last edited by TXBlkCld; 10-31-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Op what arrows are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by Langston32 View Post
              Op what arrows are you shooting?

Beman Bowhunters 9.3 gpi, 29"

Comment

Tie a rock to the point

Comment

Originally posted by super_dave View Post
                  Tie a rock to the point
                  How big a rock

Comment

100gr brass inserts will put you a tad over 16% with standard nocks. With lighted nock you will be a touch under 15%

Comment

Shouldn't be that hard at all by trial and error. Just get some known-weight field tips or inserts and rubber-band them to the tip of your arrow and find the balance point. Then measure to get difference of midpoint length to balance point and put numbers into FOC calculator online. Simply add or subtract weights to the end in order to dial in FOC desired. Using this method, I took arrows from a little over 400 grains total weight, with about 11 % FOC up to 680 grains, with 29 % FOC. After figuring how much tip weight was necessary, simply ordered inserts and tips to total that amount (100-gr. brass insert with 75-gr. adapter for 225-gr. Tuffhead broadhead). May want to read Ashby reports on benefits of heavy arrows with high FOC %. BTW, Colorado's parks and wildlife depts' elk university website now features an article on the benefits of heavy arrows and high FOC for penetration. Shot placement is certainly critical, but animals move and arrows may have to penetrate bone for a clean kill. No such thing as too much penetration in either case (flesh only vs. bone hit).
                      Last edited by tradtiger; 11-01-2014, 08:15 AM.

Comment

You have two choices. Build a heavy slower arrow with the FOC you are looking for, or stay with a lower FOC on the arrow at the weight and speed you want.

I don't hunk with that arrow length there is anything you can do to increase the tip weight without making the arrow way underspined. And to fix that you will have to go with a stiffer arrow, which will add weight, and slow you down.

I ask again why do you think 16% is such a crucial number? IMO you will smoke check everything you shoot at with your current set up, provided you hit in the right spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                          You have two choices. Build a heavy slower arrow with the FOC you are looking for, or stay with a lower FOC on the arrow at the weight and speed you want.

I don't hunk with that arrow length there is anything you can do to increase the tip weight without making the arrow way underspined. And to fix that you will have to go with a stiffer arrow, which will add weight, and slow you down.

I ask again why do you think 16% is such a crucial number? IMO you will smoke check everything you shoot at with your current set up, provided you hit in the right spot.

I want my arrows to hit like Mike.
                          Fast and Hard.

Comment

i understand. But you are going to have to sacrifice one or the other. If you want to hit them with a sledge hammer, you will have to lose speed. If you want fast, then you will be hitting them with a framing hammer.

If you use gold tips arrow builder you can play around with different arrow weights and lengths to get your FOC where you want it. Buy notice how heavy the total arrow weight will be, and how much slower you will be shooting.

A 400+ grain arrow shot at just about any speed will pass through any animal you shoot with it provided you don't hit big bones. You aren't going to build an arrow to knock a deer or pig off their feet when it hits them.

Will you please tell me what is so special about this 16%. Was it because someone told you that is what you need to be effective?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              I want my arrows to hit like Mike.
                              Fast and Hard.
                              If you want hard and fast, shoot a gun. Otherwise you'll have to pick one or the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X