Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any youtube videos or other websites on land management for WT based off eastern tx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any youtube videos or other websites on land management for WT based off eastern tx?

I watch some videos on youtube that are whitetail management how toos, one of which is Whitetail Habitat Solutions on youtube. That guy has some good info on building small acreage deer habitat. But all his stuff is based on land in the midwest and up north. Is there a site or youtube channel that deals specifically with small property whitetail management in eastern tx? Land management in central/western tx is pretty simple, put out feed and attract deer. On my property in Navarro i'm prob trying to do the near impossible because property limitations but I enjoy working toward my goals. I have raw land and trying to do everything I can to maximize it's potential. Would love some extra info to watch to see what all land managers are doing to maximize their herd and attract more deer, to whatever degree they can.

It isn't the same by any stretch of the imagination but...... Growing Deer TV with Dr. Grant Woods has a ton of great information. I know they also deal in client land management. I had the opportunity to listen to him speak in Pairs TX once and he was very knowledgeable. Give him a search on the youtubes.

Comment

I’ll check it out

Comment

Yeah like TxSpinner said, Growing Deer TV is another good one. I watch both Growing Deer and WHS on youtube to try to improve my place, but it's tough when neither of them have the same terrain as where I am in Oklahoma. I take tid bits of info from both and apply where I can.

I'm in the same place as you and want to improve my property. I'm contemplating on putting out a protein feeder, but I feel I'd waste money doing free choice and I may just try to do food plots, and improve habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          Yeah like TxSpinner said, Growing Deer TV is another good one. I watch both Growing Deer and WHS on youtube to try to improve my place, but it's tough when neither of them have the same terrain as where I am in Oklahoma. I take tid bits of info from both and apply where I can.

I'm in the same place as you and want to improve my property. I'm contemplating on putting out a protein feeder, but I feel I'd waste money doing free choice and I may just try to do food plots, and improve habitat.
          I'm trying to find other alternatives to making my place more attractive besides feed. My deer won't hardly eat any other supplemental feed other than corn, been trying about a full yr now. Different proteins, protein blocks, powder attractants, rice bran etc. Food plots are pretty good but we have so much of a variety of great natural browse it seams they can take it or leave it when the conditions are good. I am feeding my small local herd but we don't seem to be attracting new talent much. I'm hoping this yr with a slightly bigger footprint we will see more once the bucks start roaming. I just want them to stay once they find me.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            I'm trying to find other alternatives to making my place more attractive besides feed. My deer won't hardly eat any other supplemental feed other than corn, been trying about a full yr now. Different proteins, protein blocks, powder attractants, rice bran etc. Food plots are pretty good but we have so much of a variety of great natural browse it seams they can take it or leave it when the conditions are good. I am feeding my small local herd but we don't seem to be attracting new talent much. I'm hoping this yr with a slightly bigger footprint we will see more once the bucks start roaming. I just want them to stay once they find me.
            After watching some of the videos from WHS, he states to not plant spring plots or feed during the summer months, and to try to keep the deer on your place during the day time during deer season. I'm not really sure what to think of that.

I'm with you though. I have fed rice bran and have 3 feeders currently running, but I barely get deer to hit my feeders somewhat regularly and the rice bran is hit or miss. I think the main thing about my place is the amount of cover and the pressure on put on my ground. I don't have a shooter that lives on my property after about February and I haven't gotten a picture of one yet. I'm getting anxious waiting to see if they will return or not. Last season I had 3-4 shooter bucks show up in early October and stick around for the season, then disappear after season. Hoping the same happens this year.

Comment

Deer University podcast Episode 35

They have a nice study they discuss on this episode. Said deer care more about cover than they do food. They need both, but all their experiments point towards cover. It's worth an hour of your time

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Deer University podcast Episode 35

They have a nice study they discuss on this episode. Said deer care more about cover than they do food. They need both, but all their experiments point towards cover. It's worth an hour of your time
                Yep, deer want to feel that security. So things like having a bedding area, not running around on an ATV/UTV when not necessary, screens around your food plots, etc. will make a difference to your deer herd.

Comment

I have really good cover, but like the native browse so does a lot of the area. I’ve seen a lot about hinge cutting trees but wondering if that’s more of a northern thing. I just don’t see why it would help with the amount of thick cover along several creek beds.

Comment

I have really good cover, but like the native browse so does a lot of the area. I’ve seen a lot about hinge cutting trees but wondering if that’s more of a northern thing. I just don’t see why it would help with the amount of thick cover along several creek beds.
                    Well listen to the podcast to find out

Comment

I plan on it

Comment

I watch some videos on youtube that are whitetail management how toos, one of which is Whitetail Habitat Solutions on youtube. That guy has some good info on building small acreage deer habitat. But all his stuff is based on land in the midwest and up north. Is there a site or youtube channel that deals specifically with small property whitetail management in eastern tx? Land management in central/western tx is pretty simple, put out feed and attract deer. On my property in Navarro i'm prob trying to do the near impossible because property limitations but I enjoy working toward my goals. I have raw land and trying to do everything I can to maximize it's potential. Would love some extra info to watch to see what all land managers are doing to maximize their herd and attract more deer, to whatever degree they can.
                        Check out GrowingDeerTv with Grant Woods. Grant has developed a common sense approach to Deer management. The thing is they work. It is mostly based on making a habitat that is compatible for Keystone species and optimizing the limiting factor whether that be food, cover, water, security. That concept will work anywhere,

Comment

Grant Woods is great I also watch the Management Advantage. They have many videos on Southern States style hunting like in Alabama, Georgia, etc. There isn't much of East Texas on YouTube but these states the hunting is very similar.

Comment

Grant Woods and Wildlife Habitat Solutions are my go to guys.

This is your tool to help outline your property and track improvements
                            https://thehuntersight.com

Comment

Gonna be some good info with this thread.

I noticed you questioned hinge cutting. It is good the first couple of years then, the cut stuff starts shadowing out the ground vegetation which is where 95 percent of the deer food is at.

Thinning timber is the one single thing you can do to improve your property for deer. Getting sunlight to the ground is paramount.

Comment

Working...
                              X