Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #51
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

I try not to get too worked up about this, but driving 40k+ miles per year around Houston for work makes it exhausting. Regardless of speed, camping in the passing lane while traffic stacks up behind you is not OK. They still teach that the left lane is for passing in driverís ed, right?
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #52
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
I love cruising the left lane at 75 because guess what? Yup thatís right itís the speed LIMIT meaning the fastest LEGAL speed you can travel on a particular road! Why should a law abiding citizen have to move out of the way so you can break the law? The signs that say speed limit arenít a suggestion itís the law.

Iím sure yíall will flame me over this.
Not gonna flame you but here is what the law says:

According to Sec. 544.011 of the Texas Transportation Code, ďIf, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read Ďleft lane for passing only.íĒ

Trooper Davis and DPS suggest drivers watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read ďLeft Lane For Passing Only,Ē and adhere to directions provided by the signs. Also, the left lane is not a ďfastĒ lane, in spite of what many drivers may believe. Rather, it is a passing lane.

DPS cautions, ďImpeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine. After you pass someone, move into the right lane once youíve safely cleared the vehicle.Ē
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #53
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Not gonna flame you but here is what the law says:

According to Sec. 544.011 of the Texas Transportation Code, ďIf, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read Ďleft lane for passing only.íĒ

Trooper Davis and DPS suggest drivers watch for signs on Texas multi-lane highways that read ďLeft Lane For Passing Only,Ē and adhere to directions provided by the signs. Also, the left lane is not a ďfastĒ lane, in spite of what many drivers may believe. Rather, it is a passing lane.

DPS cautions, ďImpeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine. After you pass someone, move into the right lane once youíve safely cleared the vehicle.Ē
I agree. I will be in the left lane driving the speed limit passing those who choose to drive at a speed of less than the posted limit. it is a passing lane but itís not a lane that grants you the right to go at a rate faster than the posted LIMIT. Or am I off course on what the law reads?
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #54
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
I try not to get too worked up about this, but driving 40k+ miles per year around Houston for work makes it exhausting. Regardless of speed, camping in the passing lane while traffic stacks up behind you is not OK. They still teach that the left lane is for passing in driverís ed, right?
I don't think they teach anything in DE. I drive a fire truck and you would be amazed at the stupidity of people when they see and hear me coming. All that move to the right business is long gone
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 PM   #55
stickerpatch59
Ten Point

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Witness said driver was obviously ticked off the car in front would not speed up ( 40 mph zone ) so givin the chance to pass they passed and moved in front of slower car ( actually Going the limit ) and slammed on her brakes causing slower truck to hit her. Driver of slower truck had shoulder pain from seat belt, a hole driver arrested and charged.
This same thing happened to me 30 years ago and the lady we hit got a ticket. All rear end collisions are not the fault of the driver who hit the other vehicle
dash cams are great for these situations.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #56
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

brake checking and slamming on the breaks are a little different I would think. Far as I know, brake checking is just enough to make the lights light up.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #57
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Read 546.062 I think. Gotta keep safe distance from vehicle in front of you. Fail to keep assured clear distance is the Cite title
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #58
freestylest22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Kent/Cottle/Briscoe & Idaho

Man, you can tell the guys on here that do drive slow in the left/fast, passing only lane. I'm always speeding and driving faster than most traffic, or I don't feel like I'm making progress. That slow driver usually gets a very close view of my rear bumper as I come around and in front of him/her.
freestylest22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #59
freestylest22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Kent/Cottle/Briscoe & Idaho

Quote:
I love cruising the left lane at 75 because guess what? Yup thatís right itís the speed LIMIT meaning the fastest LEGAL speed you can travel on a particular road! Why should a law abiding citizen have to move out of the way so you can break the law? The signs that say speed limit arenít a suggestion itís the law.

@$$wipe! Left lane for passing only.
freestylest22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #60
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylest22 View Post
@$$wipe! Left lane for passing only.
Thatís right jack wagon left lane passing only but never does it say you can speed in the left lane does it?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM   #61
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom green county

Quote:

Signs also say slower traffic keep right so your argument is null and void sir!
jason86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #62
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:

I'll pass you on the shoulder too.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #63
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Man, you can tell the guys on here that do drive slow in the left/fast, passing only lane. I'm always speeding and driving faster than most traffic, or I don't feel like I'm making progress. That slow driver usually gets a very close view of my rear bumper as I come around and in front of him/her.
Then don't get mad when you get hooked by a grill guard
low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #64
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Love these city driving rants!!!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #65
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

So I have to ask, what does a person do with all that extra time they create for themselves by endangering everyone else traveling at the posted speeds?

Leave 10 minutes earlier and you wouldn't have to drive so fast all the time.

Bucha **** women...
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #66
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

You guys would blow a gasket where I live. No one is in much of a hurry and people have equipment out on the road, sometimes.

My wife says I’m a fast driver but when I worked in east Texas people were on my bumper flipping me off all the time.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #67
jason86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
So I have to ask, what does a person do with all that extra time they create for themselves by endangering everyone else traveling at the posted speeds?

Leave 10 minutes earlier and you wouldn't have to drive so fast all the time.

Bucha **** women...
I like to drive fast and I'm good at it so move over! 👍🏻 Drive slow in the right hand lane.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #68
jason86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
Love these city driving rants!!!
Ain't the city, most hwys in the city have multiple lanes, it's the interstate outside the city that bugs me the most.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #69
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I like how some of yall are complaining about one guy breaking the law by driving in the left lane, then blatantly admitting you break the law to go around them or intimidate them. Thats some kind of messed up rationale!

Btw, please guys, stay out of left lane unless passing....
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #70
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

And for those that like to ride bumpers/intimidate people with your vehicles, you do realize you are making it harder on yourselves, right? I know a lot of people that will move over, allow you in etc if they realize it, as long as you dont try to force it. You try to force it or intimidate them and you WILL NOT get your way.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #71
trailrider
Six Point

Hunt In: parker cty

[QUOTE=flywise;13092004 I drive a fire truck and you would be amazed at the stupidity of people when they see and hear me coming. All that move to the right business is long gone[/QUOTE]
So very true. In my emergency vehicle driving class, the instructor stressed that people would freak out and stop right in front of you. It happened often enough that I would never get too close.
trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #72
DSMCasey
Four Point

Hunt In: Rockwood, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
And for those that like to ride bumpers/intimidate people with your vehicles, you do realize you are making it harder on yourselves, right? I know a lot of people that will move over, allow you in etc if they realize it, as long as you dont try to force it. You try to force it or intimidate them and you WILL NOT get your way.
I have done this a couple of times in my lifetime, but only because I have been behind someone in the left lane going well below the speed limit for a long time. I will tell you most of the time I see people do this, I end up passing them 5 minutes later. If there is traffic, there is traffic, ain't nothing you can do about it.
DSMCasey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #73
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Nah, cause immediately when you pass me mad on the right I change to the right lane....which in turn lets you know I saw you riding my bumper but didn't care.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #74
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

try driving 200+ miles a day in the oil patch out west. the light duty trucks drive 100 mph and the big trucks are usually governed at 65 and will travel in convoys.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #75
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
Nah, cause immediately when you pass me mad on the right I change to the right lane....which in turn lets you know I saw you riding my bumper but didn't care.
Which is why I throw my Dr pepper can at you as I go by.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 PM   #76
DRT
Pope & Young

I jest. Honestly once your slow *** is out of the way I never look back.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #77
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
Signs also say slower traffic keep right so your argument is null and void sir!
What donít you understand? If the speed limit is say 75mph that is the MAXIMUM speed you may drive and be within the law. So if the right lane is for vehicles travling slow that would mean vehicles traveling slower than posted speed limit that could be 70,65 or even 72 mph.

The left lane is for passing only so if Iím driving 75mph I will be driving the maximum speed that the law says I can drive. Being in the passing lane I would be passing all vehicles in the right lane traveling at a lesser pace. Why is this concept so hard to understand for people?

Do stop signs mean stop or do what ever you want as you approach an intersection?
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #78
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
You win! I love that move.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #79
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:
What donít you understand? If the speed limit is say 75mph that is the MAXIMUM speed you may drive and be within the law. So if the right lane is for vehicles travling slow that would mean vehicles traveling slower than posted speed limit that could be 70,65 or even 72 mph.

The left lane is for passing only so if Iím driving 75mph I will be driving the maximum speed that the law says I can drive. Being in the passing lane I would be passing all vehicles in the right lane traveling at a lesser pace. Why is this concept so hard to understand for people?

Do stop signs mean stop or do what ever you want as you approach an intersection?
regardless of whether I speed or not, the law states that the left lane is for passing only. So if you're passing slower traffic then by all means use it to pass. The issues are with the people that take it upon themselves to try and enforce the law by breaking another one and staying in the left lane insted of getting past the slower right lane traffic.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #80
willwork04
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

So once you get around everyone do you move over to the right lane or stay in left lane?
willwork04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #81
DRT
Pope & Young

Move right.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #82
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwork04 View Post
So once you get around everyone do you move over to the right lane or stay in left lane?
Usually do move back to the right lane. If there is a lot of cars in the right lane I will ride the left rather than weave back and forth between the lanes.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #83
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
try driving 200+ miles a day in the oil patch out west. the light duty trucks drive 100 mph and the big trucks are usually governed at 65 and will travel in convoys.

And refuse to use the shoulder, they would rather endanger everyone by making you pass in the oncoming lane....
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM   #84
bboswell
Pope & Young

Default Slow Drivers Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwork04 View Post

The law nor the posted signed refer to the posted speed, they simply state passing so unless you are in the act of passing another vehicle move over. Even if it wasnít law this should be done out of common courtesy, or so my Granddad taught me.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #85
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
And refuse to use the shoulder, they would rather endanger everyone by making you pass in the oncoming lane....
that there is plain BS... endanger everyone? give me a break.

you pass when it is SAFE...one it is illegal to drive on the shoulder and two...depending on the location...dangerous and throws up debris on the road.

you need to stay off the **** roads bud.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #86
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
that there is plain BS... endanger everyone? give me a break.

you pass when it is SAFE...one it is illegal to drive on the shoulder and two...depending on the location...dangerous and throws up debris on the road.

you need to stay off the **** roads bud.

1st I never suggested doing it when dangerous. 2nd I challenge your view of legality. 3rd your debris idea is complete BS

I was taught to be courteous and move over and let others pass, this is much safer than going 10mph under the posted speed enraging people till they make questionable passing decisions.

And yes I follow this, when Iím empty and running I expect people to let me around and when Iím loaded I donít hesitate to move over and let people around, itís simple common courtesy
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #87
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

I try to set my cruise 5-10 over. I get over in the left when I need to pass, then back to the right. If I’m in the left and someone comes speeding up behind me, I will get over in the right to let them go around..... unless the cars on the right are going slower than I’m going, then the speedster behind me will have to wait until I can get over in front of those cars.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #88
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
If they are moving faster than the normal flow of traffic that's where they should be. Most highways 75 puts them passing most drivers. If you want to be honest distracted drivers cause the most accidents followed close by impatient drivers that do not keep a safe distance to car in front of them.
^ This right here.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #89
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Usually do move back to the right lane. If there is a lot of cars in the right lane I will ride the left rather than weave back and forth between the lanes.

Have you ever asked your gal if shes ok with you taking 10 minutes to sit down to urinate?
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 AM   #90
Cbb1722
Ten Point

I don’t care about that as much as I do this. If I’m driving on a main road and someone’s turning off a side street onto my road and in my lane. And they decide to turn in front of me, FLOOR IT!!! I hate it when they pull in front of you and just putz along causing you to slam on your brakes. But I make sure they can see my brushgaurd in their mirror when they do that
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 04:47 AM   #91
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad
Lightbulb

If it wasn't for speeders there would not be slow drivers check out some studies on vehicle accidents and you will see that a large percentage of accidents are caused by excessive speed.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #92
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

It concerns me that there are so many adults that can't control their emotions over something so trivial.

DJ
DJM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #93
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Quote:
If you have time to get back over to the right after you have passed, you should. Thatís what the law states.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #94
tdwinklr
Six Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Hitman View Post
Just because you're doing 75 doesn't mean you should cruise in the left lane dammit! Get over when you see a truck coming up behind you. I'm convinced slow drivers cause more accidents than us speeders. Because everyone is trying to get around your slow butt!! Ok, I'm done. Carry on
why is that, cause your doing 85 mph and breaking the law?
75 mph isn't a slow-driver.

I guess if we keep raising the speed limit to say, 95 mph? I'm sure there would be some knucklehead always wanting to pass.... lol!
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #95
tdwinklr
Six Point

Quote:
All I ask is go the speed limit at a minimum
But if I'm going 80 and an idiot get on my rear end...he's going to have to find a better way around me

same here!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 AM   #96
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Passing lane cruisers are annoying but the drivers that really get under my skin are the ones that see you advancing on them, obviously at a higher speed so they move over into my lane as if they are panicking that my plan is to get ahead of them. Happens on 3-4 lane highways all the time. They are not going around anyone and they don't increase their speed but just move over for absolutely no freaking reason.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #97
tdwinklr
Six Point

Quote:
nah, cause immediately when you pass me mad on the right i change to the right lane....which in turn lets you know i saw you riding my bumper but didn't care.
lol !!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #98
postman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
Left lane is for passing, Texas state law.
Confused......you want everyone to obey this law so you can disobey the max speed law (that's what posted speed limits are, max speed for that stretch of road, that includes while passing).
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #99
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Which is why I throw my Dr pepper can at you as I go by.

I've put a guy in the ditch for this before. Just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
Have you ever asked your gal if shes ok with you taking 10 minutes to sit down to urinate?
My gal likes to get where we're going safely.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #100
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Hitman View Post
Just because you're doing 75 doesn't mean you should cruise in the left lane dammit! Get over when you see a truck coming up behind you. I'm convinced slow drivers cause more accidents than us speeders. Because everyone is trying to get around your slow butt!! Ok, I'm done. Carry on
Relax a little

Quote:
I don't think courtesy has anything to do with allowing someone driving 30 over the limit passed you. If it did I guess you would ease over to let a guy driving 70 through your neighborhood

Quote:

Yes, you will get flamed. You just raised the blood pressure of a lot of TBH speeders LOL
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top