Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
JayKen86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county, Washington county, MEXICO
Default Smaller land tracts- Edwards, Val Verde county

I've recently been kicking around the idea of purchasing one of those smaller properties around this area for a family get away/ hunting property. Have found some places in the area in the 150-200 acre size that could be affordable for me. Anyone own or have any experience with these properties? Is the hunting any good?
JayKen86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Hunting on most of them is mediocre. You'll probably kill some stuff but it's not good enough to buy it for that reason IMO. For the price of that land you could get a pretty nice lease for a long time.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

There are some that border our 14,000 acre ranch we lease. They came to our land owner asking if they could tap into his water lines and he almost **** them for asking. Now they hunt our fence lines and the game wardens are watching them thinking now they are coming into our lease poaching because they shoot everything on their small tract.
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Hunting on most of them is mediocre. You'll probably kill some stuff but it's not good enough to buy it for that reason IMO. For the price of that land you could get a pretty nice lease for a long time.
I would rather own my own land and just shoot does than pay a lease fee.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

It all depends on where you're at. I have a 200 acre place just north of Stephenville. I take care of the property, plant a good sized food plot every fall, and keep feeders full all year. I also leave several sanctuary areas and don't over hunt it. The deer numbers aren't high, but I've been lucky enough to get a nice deer every year.

The decision of whether or not to buy a place is different for everyone. I grew up dreaming of owning my own property. I never dreamed of having a good lease. I wouldn't trade my place for the world.

Last edited by WBT; 12-20-2017 at 07:08 PM.
WBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I look at these all the time on lands of Texas, there’s actually quite a few for sale.
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Ideal situation is to find one that's far the edge of a subdivision & borders a large low fenced ranch. That's what I did & hit the jackpot. Land out there is inexpensive compared to other counties & often has a wide variety of exotics.
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
texashunter56
Ten Point

They are cheaper for a reason due to most of them over-hunted. Look county bag limits on whitetails also. Like posted above if you can get one in the right location you will be pleased. Water and electricity are going to cost you a lot. Keeping an ag exemption or wildlife exemption can be made difficult by the county you buy in. Also think about Anthrax out there in that area. Been a while since it has hit and it will sooner or later. I think the last outbreak was in the early 2000's IIRC now. It can wipe out deer in large areas while missing others.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
I own my own land and still lease. Nobody wants to just shoot does.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Bumpy would...
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
They are cheaper for a reason due to most of them over-hunted. Look county bag limits on whitetails also. Like posted above if you can get one in the right location you will be pleased. Water and electricity are going to cost you a lot. Keeping an ag exemption or wildlife exemption can be made difficult by the county you buy in. Also think about Anthrax out there in that area. Been a while since it has hit and it will sooner or later. I think the last outbreak was in the early 2000's IIRC now. It can wipe out deer in large areas while missing others.
I believe it's cheaper not because they're over hunted. I think the reason it's cheaper out there is because it's so far away from major cities. The farther west you have to drive from Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc the less it costs. Regarding a 1-D-1 tax exemption. If you buy a tract that's in a subdivision you probably won't have to do anything to maintain the ridiculously low annual tax bill. 100 acres in Edwards County that has this tax exemption costs about $200 a year.
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Most will end up with a high fence down the large ranch side and very little to hunt from over hunting.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
backwoods
Eight Point

Hunt In: South East Texas

This thread is depressing
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Same. Leases are cheap compared to costs of buying and maintaining a 200+ acre piece of property.

BP

Last edited by Big pig; 12-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #15
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

As mentioned, that area is prone to Anthrax... The main area to be concerned with is north of Hwy 90 and South of 377... that wedge has been wiped out about every 10 to 20 years since I was a kid... When conditions are right a "bloom" will occur very quickly and from infection to death only takes about 7-10 days in a WT deer...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #16
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzan View Post
Ideal situation is to find one that's far the edge of a subdivision & borders a large low fenced ranch. That's what I did & hit the jackpot. Land out there is inexpensive compared to other counties & often has a wide variety of exotics.

Thatís why people get high fences out. Iím guessing you hunt out of carta valley?
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #17
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

I have owned my place for 7 years. PM me if you would like info.

I have 110 acres, I border a Large Property and there is another Large Property between me and my Neighbor.
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #18
boh347
Pope & Young

I always wondered why there were SO MANY little priorities for sale.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #19
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
I always wondered why there were SO MANY little priorities for sale.
Investors buy BIG Properties and then divide and sell them for a more affordable price for people like me.
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #20
Jimbo47
Six Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

Once you buy a small property you are going to be stuck with the neighbors around you for a long time, pay taxes, worry about what is happening when you aren't there, etc.
With a lease you have the freedom to move on to something else and not have to deal with all those problems that will eventually occur.
Usually it isn't the property, but the people around you that makes owning your own land a roll of the dice.
The larger the property the happier you will be!
I owned a small property for about 20 years and the first few years it was heaven on earth, until more and more people moved in around me, and developers kept expanding.

Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-21-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #21
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I have hunted in Carta Valley and looked at some properties in Edwards county. Carta Valley seems to be hunted hard and littered with broke down travel trailers and junk piles, however I do believe that a 400+ acre tract in that area would be hard to beat for hunting. Unfortunately, once you get close to the 400 acre tracts the price per acre does not go down. Of course this is my opinion, dont get any hard feelings.
Kinney county has some good deals for bigger tracts I think. We looked at a 398 acre place with a nice house and nice outbuildings for 600k. Sutton county too.
I am getting too old to borrow money on a place, so a lease is my best option. I own 146 acres, but am in a discussion with some folks near me that want to lease their 300 acres near Gonzales. Hopefully it will work out, the owners did tell me they are done leasing to younger guys and was looking for someone that can follow rules. I told them I might not be the guy,lol.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #22
boh347
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo47 View Post
Once you buy a small property you are going to be stuck with the neighbors around you for a long time, pay taxes, worry about what is happening when you aren't there, etc.
With a lease you have the freedom to move on to something else and not have to deal with all those problems that will eventually occur.
Usually it isn't the property, but the people around you that makes owning your own land a roll of the dice.
The larger the property the happier you will be!
I owned a small property for about 20 years and the first few years it was heaven on earth, until more and more people moved in around me, and developers kept expanding.
All to familiar with this. Sold our 230 acres this year because our large neighbor broke his 1200 acre ranch into 20 acre ranchets. Sounds like a shooting range around there😮
Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #23
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
I would. Doe meat tastes better anyways, especially here where the deer never get big.

OP, if you want it, go for it. We hunt 40 acres in WI, and two years ago, my dad shot a great 11 point, and our neighbor shot the 4th largest deer in the state for that year. Both of which were way over 200 lbs. This year, the land provided at least 6 18" plus bucks (Huge for our area of WI), all of which were around 200 lbs. You just have to make friends with the neighbors, and practice QDM together.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #24
boh347
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I would. Doe meat tastes better anyways, especially here where the deer never get big.

OP, if you want it, go for it. We hunt 40 acres in WI, and two years ago, my dad shot a great 11 point, and our neighbor shot the 4th largest deer in the state for that year. Both of which were way over 200 lbs. This year, the land provided at least 6 18" plus bucks (Huge for our area of WI), all of which were around 200 lbs. You just have to make friends with the neighbors, and practice QDM together.
Do you own that 40 acres?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #25
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
All to familiar with this. Sold our 230 acres this year because our large neighbor broke his 1200 acre ranch into 20 acre ranchets. Sounds like a shooting range around there😮
Couple buddies bought land nw of Rocksprings about 10 years ago. Same thing......sounded like a shooting range. They sold about 5 years later and almost doubled they money. That's the last area I would buy a small property in.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
Reel cajun
Nubbin' Buck

Default Land Ownership vs Leasing

Quote:
X1000.
And show up to camp after paying those high lease fees and busting your a** improving the land owners Deer herd to see people at camp that you were hoping didnít show up. Oh, and having to put up with these people on your time off. Nice!
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #27
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Edwards is the king of land fragmentation. The better part of the south and eastern sides are all those little 50-60 acre places and it shows. As mentioned, a plethora of abandoned travel trailer and mobile homes and general trash piles. Most all of these type places are in "subdivision" type setups with one main road in and out and no fences but perimeter around entire division. Literally feeders and blinds every 4-5 acres. We had thought about looking into it more, but unless you could find at least 250 acres it would not be worth the aggravation. It would have to be a place out away from a bunch of the other crap out there and bordered by as big or bigger neighbors.
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #28
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

Shooting 6 bucks on 40 acres is practicing QDM ?
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #29
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I'll answer that for him and the answer is no.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #30
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Quote:
I'll answer that for him and the answer is no.
Rocksprings is just like WI.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

It depends on what your priorities are. If your after trophy whitetail then lease. If you want the family getaway that you can hunt then buy it. I got an 8pt in the 110's in november and an axis doe and hog last week on 40 ac. my taxes were around $200. and other than the opening day, thanksgiving, and christmas we are usually the only ones out there.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Rocksprings is just like WI.
I own property in WI and hunt between Rocksprings and Brackettville. I got a kick out of that too.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #33
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
x2! For sure.

Its like people who love renting. Ill pass and take equity
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #34
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
LMAO...He is from up north, excuse him
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #35
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree with this. I think the problem a lot of times is finding a good lease, that may take a little while. The other good thing about hunting a lease is you actually get to share a camp with other people. You can build very good friendships. When it's fragmented land I don't see that happening as much. Not always easy to find the right place though.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #36
JayKen86
Ten Point

Thanks for all the replies, taking all into consideration!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
JayKen86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
I agree with this. I think the problem a lot of times is finding a good lease, that may take a little while. The other good thing about hunting a lease is you actually get to share a camp with other people. You can build very good friendships. When it's fragmented land I don't see that happening as much. Not always easy to find the right place though.
I wouldn't let go of my lease I'm on now... too cheap and close to home with decent deer and good company, I'd be crazy... just the thought of one day knowing we will loose that lease scares me though!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKen86 View Post
I wouldn't let go of my lease I'm on now... too cheap and close to home with decent deer and good company, I'd be crazy... just the thought of one day knowing we will loose that lease scares me though!
Maybe get a second lease as back up . I think the same way though. I thought a lot about buying a place 10+ years ago before I got on my deer lease. Glad I didn't, but I still look quite often online.

You can always cross that bridge when you get there, and save up some money to prepare. I keep wondering if land prices for recreational land will actually come down at some point when a lot of the baby boomers die or get to old to use their properties. The prices for land out where you are looking seem really high for what you get, but who knows what will happen to land prices? I don't necessarily buy into the idea that they always rise.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #39
Gunnyart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

It's hard not to be envious of folks who can afford even moderate sized chunks of land. Being a TX vet I was able to do 5% down and bought 10 acres on a 30 year note from one of those developers that divide up bigger plots.

I agree with the neighbor concerns and no the hunting will never be great but man do I love owning a little piece of Texas.

Some day it'll just be our home and I'll probably do a lease if I really need a better hunting property.

Last edited by Gunnyart; 12-21-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Gunnyart is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #40
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

I'd rather own land and not give my money away on a lease. At least with the land purchase you should be able to at least get your money back out of it...if not make money. Finding a good lease these days is really hard to do and probably one of the main reasons I'm looking at purchasing land instead.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #41
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:

That is like comparing Mars to Earth. Wisconsin can produce Boone and Crockett deer despite doing everything wrong. Edwards and Val Verde counties are not near as forgiving. Two very different situations/habitats.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #42
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
That is like comparing Mars to Earth. Wisconsin can produce Boone and Crockett deer despite doing everything wrong. Edwards and Val Verde counties are not near as forgiving. Two very different situations/habitats.
Yea, and kind'a funny how so many "northerners" come down here and tell us all just how great it is up north...

If it's so great why don't they just stay home and enjoy it?...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #43
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I can't tell if this is one of those "don't move here!" threads, or if my experience has been far, far outside the norm. I've had a great experience owning land in that size and area.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #44
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
Bumpy would...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
I'd rather own land and not give my money away on a lease. At least with the land purchase you should be able to at least get your money back out of it...if not make money. Finding a good lease these days is really hard to do and probably one of the main reasons I'm looking at purchasing land instead.

The land I have my Father paid for so it means something to me. It was in the family before him as well. My dad lives on a 100 acre tract bordered by the National Forest North of us and on every side is family land some kind of way. I have been on a lease before and I'd do it again but I would rather own something. I put a 400 dollar feeder out and my dads bull knocked it over when he got out. That is the issues when hunting on family land lol. A few years ago I had a feeder out and 2 bulls my dad was feeding out in his pen got out and went right to it. I swear that feeder sound calls the bulls in. My cousins have killed good bucks in the area on family land that I would be happy as hell to post. There are a lot of mature bucks in our because not many people hunt. Folks keep talking about small properties but yawl are shopping in the wrong areas. Yes East Texas might not be like Central Texas but properties where mine are have been in families for yearssssssss and most are vacant. Heck the property next to my Dads the folks live in either DC or California I'm not really sure but I have free range of it well the cattle do. I'm an ownership kind of guy but hey I enjoy just eating deer meat all year.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #45
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ead.php?t=8575

This was a discussion on TBH about ten years ago.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #46
Bumpy
Ten Point

This thread made me look up some smaller properties near me in East Texas. A good food plot will draw them in.