Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #151
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
serious question, how is looking things up digitally today any different than looking things up in a library as done in the past? Same framework just a more efficient/cost effective delivery method these days
If you went to the library it was to research and learn. If you didnt, you had to go back to the book and look it up again. The point/purpose was to learn the info. With a phone you have millions of books worth of info at your fingertips. The "need" to learn the info is lessened greatly. Human nature is to not put forth effort if the effort is not required.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #152
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

A good example is the use of calculators. They are a wonderful tool. I use one daily. But it has become a crutch. When I was in school they didnt allow calculators until in advanced classes. The point was to learn the math, then after you have learned it, use it to make life/work easier. Now the calculator is being used without every truly learning the math. So 12yo kids are running around punching numbers in their phones trying to calculate simple math they should be able to do in their head.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #153
Djwilliams
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sydney

I'm not sure of their age, but I spoke with a "Customer Service" representative yesterday with a garage door company. My parent's garage door belt and idler pulley broke and it was under warranty. We received the parts and they were both wrong. It was the wrong pulley and the belt was 2 feet too long. When I called them, she informed me that they only made one pulley. I have her the correct part number and she said they had that one in stock also.
She then informed me that they shipped me a belt for an 8' door. I informed her I measured the door ad it was 96" from top to bottom. She then tells me, "Sir, we only deal in feet, not inches. I need to put you on hold." When she comes back, she informs me that she spoke with her manager and 96" does equal 8'. We agree that they are one and the same. She then asks me to measure the belt. So, I tell her how long it is in feet and she says I need the belt that is 233" which is for a 7' door. I give up.

Last edited by Djwilliams; 12-08-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Djwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #154
bullhead44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
A good example is the use of calculators. They are a wonderful tool. I use one daily. But it has become a crutch. When I was in school they didnt allow calculators until in advanced classes. The point was to learn the math, then after you have learned it, use it to make life/work easier. Now the calculator is being used without every truly learning the math. So 12yo kids are running around punching numbers in their phones trying to calculate simple math they should be able to do in their head.

spot on. I see this on a daily basis. Kids want to know how many points each question will be worth on a test. I usually tell them the test is worth 100 points and there are x # of questions you tell me how much I should take off. Most of them are unable to do it without there phones. I have also noticed this year that many of them had never used an index before. They are not as much dumb as they are technologically retarded. By that I mean they struggle to do simple tasks without the help of technology.

On a somewhat funny note, I did once have a kid ask if he was in the right classroom. I had called the class U.S. History and his schedule said American History. He was confused. He turned out to be one of my favorite kids. He took me hog hunting several times on his family land.

Last edited by bullhead44; 12-08-2017 at 01:16 PM..
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #155
JBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague, Grayson

Quote:
If you went to the library it was to research and learn. If you didnt, you had to go back to the book and look it up again. The point/purpose was to learn the info. With a phone you have millions of books worth of info at your fingertips. The "need" to learn the info is lessened greatly. Human nature is to not put forth effort if the effort is not required.
but kids today can't use the internet during tests - its the same framework - look up and memorize and then regurgitate for the test

I wonder if when the written word came to be there was a faction of old timers that said "kids these days have it too easy with books and libraries that have too much information in one place and it's too easy to access, in my day you had to find a man who had the knowledge you needed and have him recite it to you"

Last edited by JBT; 12-08-2017 at 01:22 PM..
JBT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #156
stikflipr
Four Point

Hunt In: Sutton Bexar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
maybe i have one at least that good. I went to subway with a friend and he ordered a 6 inch sandwich. I was next and i ordered a 12 inch wheat. She said i am sorry, we donít have that. Ok give me the 12 inch white. She said iím sorry we donít have that either.

Ok i asked, what kind of bread do you have? She said all of them. I said iíll take the 12 inch wheat. She said we donít have that........ We only have 6 inch and foot-longís. We do not have 12 inch sandwiches.

My mistakeÖ give me the foot long wheat.

My friend look at me and said, i am just glad that i was here to witness it.
wow!!!
stikflipr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #157
Smith2001
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Tell me about it i go to school with these idiots were 17 you would think they would know how to do 5 year old math at this point
Smith2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #158
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

ALOT.....and thank parents for most of it!!!!

New generation of "parents", who for the majority can't say no, give them what they want, and want to be their best friends.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #159
ezypikns
Eight Point

Hunt In: Way down yonder in the Indian Nation.
Default Bottom line.......

All men (and women) are not equal. In some folks the light of intelligence is not what you see in their eyes.
ezypikns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #160
HC Sniper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher county

We can grade a paper in class and I can say "each problem is 3 pts. Count the number of wrong answers, multiply by 3 and subtract from 100" I will get all kinds of question but at less 3-4 will be "What is the grade if they missed 3" or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or etc.... Simple math and they can not do it.
HC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #161
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
Try paying a $23.50 bill with a 20 a 5 and 50 cents.
Will blow them away.
Fuddruckers last night - ticket was $9.39. I gave her $20.40. She said, ok, so I owe you $10.

Me: No, you owe me $11.01
Her: What?? Wait... (pulls out a calculator, types on it, looks up exasperated.)

Me: What? Put 20.40 in that and subtract ... (interrupted)
Her, angry: I have to use the calculator! I can't do it that way!

Me: Um, ok. (Smiling at the couple behind me and thinking, let's get a manager.)

Her: (types furiously on her calculator over and over). Ok, I owe you $11.01.

Me: They taught you that common core math, didn't they? Thank you.

And people wonder why I fear for my grandchildren. At least my kids are smarter than that.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #162
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

I'll take a salad with cucumbers only.... Yep, the bring me a bowl with nothing but cucumbers in it...
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #163
DirtyDave
Ten Point

I wanted a Buffalo Chicken wrap from Sonic. Girl said they didnt have that anymore. So I ordered a regular chicken wrap with a side of Buffalo sauce
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #164
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith2001 View Post
Tell me about it i go to school with these idiots were 17 you would think they would know how to do 5 year old math at this point
and grammar and punctuation
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #165
Cbb1722
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
I like me some sweet tea and buy it by the gallon at the fast food joints like Taco Casa, Chicken Express, Sonic, etc. Problem is, most of their sweet tea is TOO SWEET for me so I ask them to ďcustomĒ mix it. Instead of ďall sweetĒ I prefer about 75% sweet and the rest unsweetened so when ordering I will say ďplease mix it 3 quarters sweet and 1 quarter unsweetĒ.

You simply canít believe the hours and hours of entertainment value Iíve had to endure listening to some of todayís youth mull over the math trying to figure that little equation out! BEYOND COMICAL!!
Itís funny you say that. Because the school system doesnít hardly teach quarts. They want you to find for example 11/72 x 32/1000 divided by 9/2 -3x to the power of 9. Thatís ainít no understatement either. The mathematical part for cashiers I blame the school system. The prissy attitudes I blame the parents
Cbb1722 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #166
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Not sure who you would blame it on. There are six of us kids, all went to same elementary, Jr. High, and high school. Most of us had the same teachers .They are great with math. Raised all the same. And I to this day can not count change back or a lot of simple math with out my fingers or calculator ( failed third grade due to math). Spelling is not so strong either. Some of us just are not as bright as the rest. Frustrates me the most when they want to play cribbage, no way in h!! can I do it.
Oh and by the way iam 54, so it's not just the kids today.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #167
silentstalker92
Six Point

Hunt In: votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Maybe I have one at least that good. I went to Subway with a friend and he ordered a 6 inch sandwich. I was next and I ordered a 12 inch wheat. She said I am sorry, we donít have that. OK give me the 12 inch white. She said Iím sorry we donít have that either.

OK I asked, what kind of bread do you have? She said all of them. I said Iíll take the 12 inch wheat. She said we donít have that........ we only have 6 inch and foot-longís. We do not have 12 inch sandwiches.

My mistakeÖ Give me the foot long wheat.

My friend look at me and said, I am just glad that I was here to witness it.
im dying right now
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #168
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Naruna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
If you want to lose all faith in the youth just go read the comments section of Instagram and Facebook. 99% of them can't write a complete sentence.
You can find that right here on this site
low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #169
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
My kids do more difficult math in 5th and 6th grade, than I did in 8th. I was in advanced classes and everything.

Common sense is being lost, along with interaction. Everything is able to be looked up instead of learned.
Amen.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #170
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

My kids go to school because they have to and for social interaction but i teach them what they really need at home. I work in an extremely technical field and a lot of the younger ones have a B.S. and cant problem solve. if its not memorized and cant look something up they are lost.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #171
kabob
Eight Point

Hunt In: where ever Im invited to go

its not just kids!!

I go to order a number 2 at whataburger
me:I would like a number 2 plain and dry with cheese
old guy: what do you not want on it?
me: oh I just want meat and cheese...
old guy: I need to know what you dont want..
me: I dont know what I dont want Ive never ordered a burger with anything more than just meat and cheese how would I know what they put on it!
the rest of the conversation was him asking me from a list of things that could be put on the burger literally took 5 mins

it was a good time
kabob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #172
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

All this digital crap is destroying our youth. I've seen studies that showed modern kids having reduced problem-solving abilities, because they're so dependent on electronic gadgets to do their thinking for them.

It's happening to us, too. Remember going to the store and looking at price tags, counting your change, writing a check, balancing your account, etc.? Now you just zip your card.

Some middle school teachers are reporting seeing kids that can't tell time on a face clock.

Here's a good one for you. A couple of years ago I stopped at a Sonic on the way home from dove hunting. As you know, Sonic has a #1 burger with mustard, and a #2 burger with mayonnaise. I like both on mine. I gave the order over the speaker, "I want a #1, but I want it with mustard AND mayonnaise." He asked me to confirm. I did: "I want a regular hamburger - a #1 or #2 - but I want it with mustard and mayonnaise both."

A few minutes later, this pimple-faced, scrawny kid came out with my burger. It seemed a little flat. I opened it and it was just a piece of meat and.... mustard and mayonnaise. Biting my tongue, I pointed it out to him. He whined, "but that's what you ordered, sir. A hamburger with mustard and mayonnaise."
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #173
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Who said anything about "raising people's" kids??

Schools are institutions of learning.. They do not teach anymore.. Our school systems have been politicized... Try common core math and get back with me..
Ask any senior how many quarts are in a gallon, how many inches are in a foot, how many pints in a quart, how many 8th's of an inch are in a inch.. The list goes on... And these are just the basics.. I learned these in the 4th grade.. It's greak to many seniors these days..

Angleton High school has done away with all vocations. No welding. No wood shop. No auto mechanics.. How in the hail can a school system possibly justify this??????? They can't.. Their answer was "we can't find instructors" bullshat!!!!!!

It's ridiculous.
The public school systems Are broken.. They are a politically driven sad site these days..
Not where I live .
Feds told them to put unisex bathrooms in or they wouldn't get federal money.
They said no and we don't need your money.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #174
texasair
Six Point

Local supermarket a couple of years ago.
20's something girl cashier.

I was buying a whole ham on sale.

Her: What is this?
Me: Its a ham.
Her: I thought ham was sliced.
Me: This is what it looks like before it is sliced.
Her: Does not matter anyway because I don't eat pork.
Me: I'm sorry because bacon is one of the tastiest things on earth.
Her: Bacon is pork?
texasair is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #175
Buckley99
Eight Point

Ohhhhh yet another thread about a declining generation, authored by those who raised them. It doesn’t take much common sense to pick up on the irony of this one.

Last edited by Buckley99; 12-08-2017 at 11:07 PM..
Buckley99 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #176
awry
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
Hmmm, I wonder how those folks vote come election time.
IMO thatís the scariest part
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #177
trophy8
Pope & Young

When you sit there being angry about the kids. Remember what generation raised them....most seem to forget that
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 AM   #178
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
When you sit there being angry about the kids. Remember what generation raised them....most seem to forget that

Too many people didnít raise them. There are a lot of factors that contribute to society as we know it. Then again I might just be a GOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #179
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Funny thing is I run into plenty of people 40+ who are just as stupid. It’s not just kids
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #180
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
Not sure who you would blame it on. There are six of us kids, all went to same elementary, Jr. High, and high school. Most of us had the same teachers .They are great with math. Raised all the same. And I to this day can not count change back or a lot of simple math with out my fingers or calculator ( failed third grade due to math). Spelling is not so strong either. Some of us just are not as bright as the rest. Frustrates me the most when they want to play cribbage, no way in h!! can I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Funny thing is I run into plenty of people 40+ who are just as stupid. Itís not just kids
Yep, I'm one of them. Critter you're not alone. I cannot add, subtract, multiply or divide. Oh I can do simple,
small numbers in Two's, five's and ten's but that's about it. Numbers just don't work in my head. They get all jumbled up and confusing. Even though there's no real diagnosis for it, I call it numerical dyslexia.
My poor dad spent hours with me going through flash cards and hiring tutors and yet I still failed every math class. It's frustrating when everyone wants to play dominoes and all I can do is watch. My son is a genius, go figure.

Btw, I'm 61 years old.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #181
trx250r
Six Point

Going over my kids review for a test.. found out night before she had test.. teacher emailed this review. This review had 4 problems with missing info or the answer was not one of the 4 choices. 5 grade math and the teacher name was in one of problems that were wrong.. so they took the time to change the names but could prof read the problems?.. emailed her and nothing back.. wow. Comon core....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
trx250r is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #182
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Who said anything about "raising people's" kids??

Schools are institutions of learning.. They do not teach anymore.. Our school systems have been politicized... Try common core math and get back with me..
Ask any senior how many quarts are in a gallon, how many inches are in a foot, how many pints in a quart, how many 8th's of an inch are in a inch.. The list goes on... And these are just the basics.. I learned these in the 4th grade.. It's greak to many seniors these days..

Angleton High school has done away with all vocations. No welding. No wood shop. No auto mechanics.. How in the hail can a school system possibly justify this??????? They can't.. Their answer was "we can't find instructors" bullshat!!!!!!

It's ridiculous.
The public school systems Are broken.. They are a politically driven sad site these days..
Plano Senior High shut down almost all of the trade classes back in the late 70's. They had machine shop, welding, auto paint & body, auto mechanics, home building, printing, a/c, beautician for the girls, etc. It was not due to lack of instructors. It was because that one particular year, there were 0 students that signed up for any of them. It was just about the time computers were getting popular.
Quote:
As a CNC Programmer/ machinist I personally see the benefits, but also have seen a sharp decline in the knowledge of operators. If something doesnt go just right, call the programmer.......
It's scary ain't it?
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #183
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Can we quit bit*hing about society and get back to funny stories

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #184
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
I have one that ties into the mentally of today's generation.
I have a half brother that is 21 years younger than me. He lives in Wyoming with my folks. He was posting on FB a while back about how walmart doesn't pay enough. I told him to pursue an education and learn a skill set that would earn him the income he wanted. I got deleted from his friends list! Lol
So, I was in Wyoming hunting bear in September and I learned that the Hwy dept was hiring with a starting pay of 21.00 an hour. I asked him why he didn't go get that job. He said "they want you to be there by 7:00 am".
I almost slapped the crap outta him!
I have a 21 year old nephew back in PA who constantly posts on Facebook he needs to make more money. He works at a beer distributor stocking shelves and carrying beer out to cars. Everytime I tell him to either get an education or go to trade school, he gets mad at me. He hasn't removed from his friends list yet but he doesn't like to hear it. He just wants to magically make more money without earning it. I am not bashing young folks, because my brother who is 51, is the same way. He works at a restaurant as a prep cook and constantly complains he doesn't make enough money. They call me a rich snob (I am FAR from rich) and say I don't understand. I started the same place my brother did, of course I understand. I just did something about it.

My point is most of these young people we complain about learned that attitude somewhere, we just don't like to hear it .
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #185
Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Collingsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
Yep, I'm one of them. Critter you're not alone. I cannot add, subtract, multiply or divide. Oh I can do simple,
small numbers in Two's, five's and ten's but that's about it. Numbers just don't work in my head. They get all jumbled up and confusing. Even though there's no real diagnosis for it, I call it numerical dyslexia.
My poor dad spent hours with me going through flash cards and hiring tutors and yet I still failed every math class. It's frustrating when everyone wants to play dominoes and all I can do is watch. My son is a genius, go figure.

Btw, I'm 61 years old.
There is a diagnosis now for that. It's called dyscalculia.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #186
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There is a diagnosis now for that. It's called dyscalculia.
Well I'll be, thanks. And all this time people just thought I was stupid.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #187
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Being a dumb *** isn't a recent phenomenal. There's been plenty of them since the dawn of time.
HoustonHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #188
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith2001 View Post
My daughter is going to be a genius in this age of idiots.

5th grade, started pre algebra last year, an ace in American History, knows more about the English language than her older brothers(all in their 20s). Hand writing skills are excellent. Very athletic.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #189
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
Being a dumb *** isn't a recent phenomenal. There's been plenty of them since the dawn of time.
Yep, we are the people our parents warned us about.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #190
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.
Default Euroís

Have to laugh. Otherwise it gets depressing.

Big pig
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top