Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
TXbowman
Six Point

Default #*%! Acorns

Does anyone really know what, if anything, gets the deer to quit eating acorns? Does a freeze or moisture sour them? I've heard lots of people say one or both of those rots them. But if that were the case and they all rotted and died every winter there would never be acorns in the spring to grow more trees. I keep waiting for the deer to come back to the feeders as the corn piles up. I'm hoping if we get some weather event it will do it. But I suspect we will just have to wait until the deer pick them all up.
TXbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Unfortunately this dry weather is helping the acorns crop. I have 5 acres of radishes and turnips growing and the deer are tearing it up, if I do not get rain within the next week it will be over for my plots. They still eat the corn at the feeders and have noticed bucks hitting the protein.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I've heard you can actually hunt near acorns. And if you have thousands of them and no deer at feeder your odds are still better picking random tree.
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
I've heard you can actually hunt near acorns. And if you have thousands of them and no deer at feeder your odds are still better picking random tree.
LMAO!!

OP here is some good reading on acorns and "the souring" or lack of......

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=Acorns

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=acorns
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbowman View Post
Does anyone really know what, if anything, gets the deer to quit eating acorns? Does a freeze or moisture sour them? I've heard lots of people say one or both of those rots them. But if that were the case and they all rotted and died every winter there would never be acorns in the spring to grow more trees. I keep waiting for the deer to come back to the feeders as the corn piles up. I'm hoping if we get some weather event it will do it. But I suspect we will just have to wait until the deer pick them all up.
Why would you want deer to quit eating acorns? Hunt the acorns and get your deer.

Never understood the "souring" of acorns. Acorns last awhile after hitting the ground. Another thing you can do is pick a tree to your advantage and fertilize it...that's what I do. We have lots of White and Red Oaks on our lease so I gotta do something to pull them to where Im at

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
TheBeaster
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

My philosophy is if the deer want acorns, give them acorns. We rake them up from all the nice fertilized yards in town and store them in burlap bags. Then put a bucket of corn and a bucket of acorns in our feed pens (we donít use feeders). The deer seem to prefer these to the native acorns were we hunt. We routinely have mature deer in our feed pens.
TheBeaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Why would you want deer to quit eating acorns? Hunt the acorns and get your deer.

He's not in East Texas where they have one oak tree and 300 pines
Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Lawhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Haha
Lawhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaster View Post
My philosophy is if the deer want acorns, give them acorns. We rake them up from all the nice fertilized yards in town and store them in burlap bags. Then put a bucket of corn and a bucket of acorns in our feed pens (we donít use feeders). The deer seem to prefer these to the native acorns were we hunt. We routinely have mature deer in our feed pens.
Our you can do this.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Yep. New lease is 1100ish acres. Nothing but live oaks. Never seen an acorn crop last this long. It's crazy
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Our lease is a little different than most SETx leases, as of right now we have lots of oaks.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
PVDT
Eight Point

PVDT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Our lease is a little different than most SETx leases, as of right now we have lots of oaks.

Well in the Hill Country and some of West Texas we have thousands of oaks. Picking one magical tree in a 40 yard circle to set a tree stand when 20-30K trees are producing on 2400 acres is futile looking for that one deer.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #14
TXbowman
Six Point

Low IQ- I didn't say I hadn't considered that. The lease contract stipulates that hunters must only hunt from the established blinds. I'm sure you're pleased with your clever joke. Now go Google the definition of "stipulate"
Old 12-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

I have close to 25 acres of Post Oaks. I put a feeder, a rifle blind and a bow stand in the center of the 25 acres. It is the busiest feeder I have.

There are plenty of acorns hanging yet, a good rain or storm will knock them down. I would rather they all fall out at once as this will make real good hunting for a week or two.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #16
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Well in the Hill Country and some of West Texas we have thousands of oaks. Picking one magical tree in a 40 yard circle to set a tree stand when 20-30K trees are producing on 2400 acres is futile looking for that one deer.
If I only had ~10 hardwoods an acre to deal with, I could do some serious damage
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #17
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Low IQ- I didn't say I hadn't considered that. The lease contract stipulates that hunters must only hunt from the established blinds. I'm sure you're pleased with your clever joke. Now go Google the definition of "stipulate"
Wow! Yall have no flexibility with that? I see your problem....yuck
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Knowing LF's sarcasm meter....That was more of a shot at the folks that say get off your corn and go hunt a single oak tree as blanket statement for all regions as if it works in all regions.. It was said tongue in cheek to them....Wasn't directed at you.

Happens all the time. But as I described earlier its a futile exercise.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #19
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well I would fertilize an area or plant tree spikes anything to push the odds to my favor. Cultivating a few oaks will cause the deer to concentrate on a specific tree.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just finished 5 days on 35k acres. 3/4 were oak... most dropping. Seen deer every day.

Little known fact: you don't have to hunt a food source either
Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Just finished 5 days on 35k acres. 3/4 were oak... most dropping. Seen deer every day.

Little known fact: you don't have to hunt a food source either
Seeing deer in my county is easy too..

Killing them is another deal.

Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
TXbowman
Six Point

Quote:
Wow! Yall have no flexibility with that? I see your problem....yuck
Yes our LO is over cautious. It's frustrating.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #23
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes our LO is over cautious. It's frustrating.
Yessir, I can see that. Goodness
Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
Smart
Pope & Young

Just to be clear, I totally understand that this works in East Texas.....I'm just saying that blanketing all regions with get off your corn and hunt an oak tree is not as easy as it seems back home. I wish we had single big whiteoaks on nothing but mesquite and cedar flats out here......but picking the right trees in 20-30K tree, for the right deer and going to the trouble of setting a stand is gonna be a little more challenging..

Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #25
TheBeaster
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

It’s obvious that deer prefer acorns to corn. The method we use allows us to keep acorns longer. Once all the native acorns “sour” we continue to pour them out through the end of the season. Works really good in late season.
TheBeaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #26
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeaster View Post
Itís obvious that deer prefer acorns to corn. The method we use allows us to keep acorns longer. Once all the native acorns ďsourĒ we continue to pour them out through the end of the season. Works really good in late season.
Yessir, a guy I work with does this. He has a big Red Oak that dumps acorns on his drive way. He sweeps them up and throws them where he hunts, kills deer every year.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #27
tps7742
Ten Point

This thread shows that there are definitely different hunting techniques depending on the geographical area. From just reading Smarts comments has opened my eyes on a couple of matters. As stated no one blanket hunting technique will work.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #28
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #29
brokeno
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

wet weather will sour the acorns. Crazy amount of acorns this year most I have ever seen.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #30
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not trying to come off as a Jim shockey/ Stan Potts love child elite hunter trained under dr. Deer. I'm all for whatever works best. I don't have 15-20 days a month any longer to hunt. Every hour I'm afforded has to be taken full advantage of. If the are at feeders.... I'm not too proud. I've killed dozens and will continue to do so if needed.... But when the "I'm seeing zero because of acorns" comment comes up, I'm blown away with people refusal to "try" another method.

OP has to hunt a "set up", I understand that for safety on certain places. I wouldn't sign on for that but it is what it is, your handicapped to that.

Hunting landscape is my best technique. Creek crossings, edges of the thicker stuff/bedding areas, interior fence crossings, gate openings. There are hundreds of ways to hunt them, so if your not handicapped to one method..... try plan B. If your seeing nothing, there's nothing to lose
Yep
Old 12-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Sure I agree Shockey.....except, I didn't see anybody telling him to stay on the corn. This discussion morphed primarily into talking about the "getting off the corn and hunting the acorns" blanket throwing crowd and how it doesn't work everywhere...

Last edited by Smart; 12-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #32
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

Lol! Yup. It has been a really slow season. I hunt out in The Hill country and it's the greenest it has been in years, all I hear is pop and a thud all day. They just keep dropping. All over the place.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #33
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Why would he stay on the feeder if he isn't seeing deer? The OP has no other choice, if he did it would make no sense to stay there. He would be wasting his time.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why would he stay on the feeder if he isn't seeing deer? The OP has no other choice, if he did it would make no sense to stay there. He would be wasting his time.

Did somebody say he should stay on the feeder?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #35
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Sorry dude thought you eluded to that.

I wish someone would tell me where to hunt, hadn't seen a deer on my bow lease in 3 weeks. Maybe I ought to try a feeder?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sorry dude thought you eluded to that.

I wish someone would tell me where to hunt, hadn't seen a deer on my bow lease in 3 weeks. Maybe I ought to try a feeder?

No deer hunting the oaks?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #37
sharpstick35
Four Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I've got 40 ac of mostly oak trees, tons of acorns. I've turned my corn feeders down to 2 sec twice a day. what has been bringing them in to established site is water and alfalfa. but i got one buck this year hunting active trails through the oaks. go to where the deer want to be.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #38
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
No deer hunting the oaks?
Oh yeah, stayed there all day...notta, we have to many oaks. Every year about this time, they change, straight nocturnal, no daytime pics, from here on its rough.

Please tell me what to do oh great Smart, I need your awe inspiring wisdom of the deer woods. Please share your knowledge, please oh great Smart
Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #39
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:

I gotta agree with you. Hunting the land and trails works wonders, it just takes a leap of faith to leave the tried-and-true blind/feeder. And for the record- all places I hunt are completely covered in oak trees. I'm no expert either but have found success this year in hunting the terrain. It's not about hunting the one magic oak tree (out of thousands all dropping acorns), but learning the land and how the deer use it to move in different areas. Now if you can't manage to stay quiet/still/hidden or are too big to sneak around outside a 6x6 box blind- that's a different story.

Last edited by Patton; 12-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh yeah, stayed there all day...notta, we have to many oaks. Every year about this time, they change, straight nocturnal, no daytime pics, from here on its rough.

Please tell me what to do oh great Smart, I need your awe inspiring wisdom of the deer woods. Please share your knowledge, please oh great Smart

Vanilly corn sprayed down with Scent Thief!!!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #41
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Not related to the op but I don't know where you can hunt in east Texas and only have one oak tree lol.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #42
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Vanilly corn sprayed down with Scent Thief!!!!!
Mmm mmmm, they do love that 'nilla corn, but they can smell right through that there Scent Thief...whatever that is
Old 12-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #43
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Not related to the op but I don't know where you can hunt in east Texas and only have one oak tree lol.
Man we got a bunch on our lease, so grateful that we do
Old 12-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #44
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

I keep hearing of folks who still have acorns. Weird as it is, we haven't had a bumper crop here at the farm in Austin Co. Usually it is a decent crop, but not this year. Seems odd, compared to everyone else. I actually wish we would've had more acorns...I always see more and better deer when we do
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #45
Dynamic1
Four Point

If you are not allowed to change stand location I would try something more nutritious then corn such as black sunflower seeds.
Dynamic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #46
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 View Post
If you are not allowed to change stand location I would try something more nutritious then corn such as black sunflower seeds.

Or 3 strand alfalfa bales
Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #47
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Lol! Yup. It has been a really slow season. I hunt out in The Hill country and it's the greenest it has been in years, all I hear is pop and a thud all day. They just keep dropping. All over the place.
The first one of the morning that lands on the roof of your pop up definitely makes me jump.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #48
rocky
Pope & Young

I can't imagine being on a deer lease where I couldn't hunt deer.
If the deer aren't coming to where I'm at, I'm gonna go where I think the deer are.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #49
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Man I can relate Jason and OP. My place is mostly live oak and post oak and pecan trees and there was a bumper crop again this year.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top