Whole hog cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole hog cooker?

Anyone ever build one using a large propane tank?Any ideas or pics. Thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362924073.074203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	24954193

That will work, never thought of using an old propane tank. I've seen hog cookers made out of old refrigerators. Great Idea.

Comment

Thanks, I've made lots of traditional style smoker pits.Was looking for something different with the fire box in the middle,to keep the heat more even on all areas of the pig.

Comment

Take that propane tank and about a 4 o'clock position while looking at it length wise is where you wanna have your heat tubes coming up from the firebox. IMO firebox should be half the size of the main chamber with at least 2 heat tubes coming up into the main chamber.

Comment

I made a spit 6 years ago. Just upgraded it to a motor drive
          Attached Files

Comment

I built one with a 250 gallon propane tank and 100 gallon air compressor tank and some 8" diameter pipe. I don't have pics on the computer, but standby and I'll post some from my phone in a second. Basically any standard pit will do it, if you can fit it through the door. What I did was cut one door the full length of the tank between the welds on the end caps. One thing to remember....YOU WILL NEED A COUNTERWEIGHT SYSTEM! That door is HEAVY!

Comment

I haven't done a whole hog on it yet, but it'll do 10 large briskets with room to spare.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, no hurry.

Comment

Working...
                X