Old Farts Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Farts Elk Hunting

I have one more year before I'll be able to draw early SS retirement, and I intend to do it.

After that, I'll be able to, and fully intend to start elk hunting again (probably Colorado, but not sure).

I'll go it alone if I have to,

BUT

How many of you other old farts (60 plus) would be interested in getting an annual group elk hunt going?

NOTE:
    Possible acceptations made for some youngsters if they can behave.

Rick

Ah shucks. I'll only be 55. Too bad.[emoji23]🤣

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Ah shucks. I'll only be 55. Too bad.[emoji23]🤣

Not to mention, you're never behaved. 🤣 🤣

Comment

True.
        But everybody has to be good at something. [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee;13528313

[B
          NOTE: [/B]
          Possible acceptations made for some youngsters if they can behave.

Rick

And don't mind hauling elk quarters out of nasty holes ???

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            And don't mind hauling elk quarters out of nasty holes ???
            There may be applications for such.

Comment

Don’t you know old men are solitary creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Prolly could get a group discount on oxygen bottles....

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                  Don’t you know old men are solitary creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yes, yes we are, but we still like to get together every great once in a while for a good spit & whittle session.

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Prolly could get a group discount on oxygen bottles....
                  Most likely.
                  Between that & all the hot air we could probably stay real warm too.

Rick

Comment

I pretty much think my elk hunting days are behind me.

Comment

Kidding aside .... Intriguing idea, Rick. Open to consider.

Are you far along enough in your thought process to know what type of hunt, a possible ballpark cost, chances to get close enough for a reasonable trad shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        I pretty much think my elk hunting days are behind me.
                        I thought that too for quite a long while, but have come to realize I can do quite a lot, and go quite a ways if allowed to go at it at my own pace.

The only thing really keeping me from it is finances, and that's gonna change for the better.

Rick

Comment

A drop camp hunt would help a lot. No gear to pack in, outfitter packs out game, get into a good area do learning curve is lower.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                            Kidding aside .... Intriguing idea, Rick. Open to consider.

Are you far along enough in your thought process to know what type of hunt, a possible ballpark cost, chances to get close enough for a reasonable trad shot?
                            Ellis, I have no plans other than I am going to start going again as soon as my early retirement comes through. That means I'm looking to go again for the first time come 2020, and will go alone if it comes down to that. One way or another I'm going.

I don't have any particular place in mind. I've never elk hunted anywhere except Colorado, specifically the San Juan NF above Mancos, and the San Juan Wilderness in the Red Lake area.

I've been several times, but only killed one cow elk.
                            I have never bow hunted elk with gear other than my trad gear.
                            Out of all those times I could have killed an elk easily with my trad gear "IF" it had been an elk I wanted to kill. I had my arm twisted to shoot the cow, or I would not have shot her.

I have also been within easy shooting distance of both bear & muledeer on several occasions, but did not have a tag for them.

On one trip I was on bear & within shooting range so often, that I almost made the long trip to town to get a tag (which was OTC at the time). Talked myself out of making the trip. Wish I hadn't.

A DIY elk hunt (last I did one) was around $1,100 (trip tags, meals) total, but I could have done it a bit cheaper I think. That was with two of us splitting all the cost evenly.

Outfitted hunts always cost a great deal more than that, and will probably be off the table as an option for me, but who knows.

Rick

Comment

My last elk hunt, in 2012, did not end well. My horse threw me and I landed 10 feet below the trail, flat on my back. I've been thrown before, but at almost 66 years old, I did not bounce as good as I used to. That 14 mile ride out with a bad back was not fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X