grapevine info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grapevine info

whats the deal with the parking. do you have to park at the 2 designated parking areas or can you access the park otherwise by parking somewhere else. gibbs road runs along a good part of the park but the map shows no parking areas. also for you guys that do use the north shore parking are you walking across 377 to get to the left side of the park or are you going in by boat.

what i did was park on the lease road to that gas well. on the 114 377 side i parked at the park area and walked thru the woods. have you looked around down there?

Comment

no, i canoed in and did some scouting. man talk about some steep drop offs by the creek. didnt get much scouting in because i forgot my gps and topo maps. looked thick along the banks of the creek though. seen where hogs were coming down to water though. maybe in a few weeks i will venture back out and do some more scouting. but i do get the impression that hunters are frowned upon on this property. by the looks me and the brother and law got taking a canoe and bows down to the creek. go figure.

Comment

well when you head out again i will meet you out there. i drive a 07 black tundra crewmax. i was thinking of parking off 114 and humping back as far as i can.

Comment

I know if you go down cleveland gibbs road there is hunting back in there but it is back way back in there and I think the old dirt road is closed you can always foot it back in there.

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
            I know if you go down cleveland gibbs road there is hunting back in there but it is back way back in there and I think the old dirt road is closed you can always foot it back in there.
            yea i went in thru the back from the airport. it dead ends to a gate and some house back there coming in from the north. just dont know how comfortable i wil be leaving my truck there. anyway i just dont know how worth it is to go up there. it seems as its a hush hush TS hunt area. i will call the Corp office tomorrow see what i can find out. we have had locks installed in whitney and aquilla for me and my buddy (wheel chair) so i will let you all know what i find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkerkd View Post
              yea i went in thru the back from the airport. it dead ends to a gate and some house back there coming in from the north. just dont know how comfortable i wil be leaving my truck there. anyway i just dont know how worth it is to go up there. it seems as its a hush hush TS hunt area. i will call the Corp office tomorrow see what i can find out. we have had locks installed in whitney and aquilla for me and my buddy (wheel chair) so i will let you all know what i find out.
              I got my permit about 3 months ago. You will only get to a receptionist who knows nothing about the hunting or parking. She knows what you have to have to get a permit.

You do not have to have a Hunter Safety Course. She will give you a permit to Grapevine only for archery only if you tell her you do not have the HSC. The full permit is for Grapevine & Lewisville Corp Land. If you only want to hunt archery at Grapevine she will give you that limited permit.

I have hunted a half a doze times this season and have yet to see a pig or deer. I see lets of sign but no animals. I have hunted tree stands, ground blind and moving around. I think the area gets so much pressure that the game has gone very nocternal. Just my 2 cents.

WoJo

Comment

I think the area gets so much pressure that the game has gone very nocternal.
                Either your just trying to scare people off or don't know how to hunt because I've seen plenty.

Comment

I am hunting the west end off of Cleveland-Gibbs Rd. I have walked for miles and not seen a thing. I know they are there but I truely have not seen a deer or pig. Is there a better area??? I have wanted to cross the river to the northside but have not found a place to do it yet. Is it better to go west from 377?? I want this to be a great place because it is 20 minutes from my house.

Comment

The way to make it the best place is setup a trail camera and scout scout scout, that is the best way to find your spot also look at google maps and use gps if you have it to place markers where beding is and food and water and then you can find there route and setup on them aint much simpler than that.

Comment

I am in the process of getting my CHL so I can legally carry a handgun while hunting at Grapevine. I have come acroos some shady people out there that made me nervous. Most of the public areas I've hunted seem to attract pretty descent people, I dont what it is about grapevine that brings out the scurge

Comment

You will only get to a receptionist who knows nothing about the hunting or parking. She knows what you have to have to get a permit.
                        If you are taking about the woman at the office on the dam, that's a understatement. Every year when I go in there and ask for the permit, she looks at me as though she is a dog that just heard a strange sound. She will tilt her head and stare.
                        No lie one year: This was our conversation.
                        Me: Hi, I need to get a hunting permit for Grapevine.
                        Her: There is no hunting on Grapevine.
                        Me : What? I hunted here last year.
                        Her: Its by permit only.
                        Me: I know. Can I get one?
                        Her: You have to get a form and fill it out.
                        Me: So where do I get this form now?
                        Her: Right here.
                        Me: Can I have a form?
                        Her: Which one do you need?

I though I was going to loose my mind. It was like playing "Who's on first" with Abbott and Costello

Comment

LMFAO now that is funny **** right there. Hey bullet I am going to have to get my permit here in a couple weeks cause I only hog hunt at grapevine, so I will have to do the same thing I will just start laughing at her. )

Comment

man what a joke. come on though its grapevine. these people spend more time polishing their cars instead of being involved in the outdoors. like they really give a crap about hunters over there.

Comment

Tracks

Has anyone had any success hunting hogs at grapevine. Went out there this weekend. Tracks everywhere but no hogs. You cant take a step without finding a track. At 6am in the morning do they say "Beam me up Scotty" and then beam back down at night? Crazy animals.

Comment

Working...
                              X