No announcement yet.

Which air rifle for squirrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RWS34 will get the job done. My sons is hard on the tree rats!

Comment

I've gone through 3 different spring piston pellet guns, wish I'd known the marauder was about to come just after my last purchase, the accuracy is worth the price difference, now I'm arguing with myself about going with the .22, .25, or .357 caliber.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a spring air rifle. That is, if you buy a good one.
        I can take out squirrels easily out to 50 yards with my Beeman R1 or RWS 52.

Comment

My boys grew up shooting RWS .177 shooting at 1000 fps. Killed squirrels, nutria, coons, jack rabbits, birds.

I could hit an egg with every shot at 60 yds.

Comment

I have a Ruger break over that shoots 1300 fps. It's deadly at 50 yards

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
              My boys grew up shooting RWS .177 shooting at 1000 fps. Killed squirrels, nutria, coons, jack rabbits, birds.

I could hit an egg with every shot at 60 yds.
              That sounds familiar. I use my RWS for trigger time. Many a squirrel has been taken on our patio with it.

Comment

Just a little more clarification on the .22 rifle subsonic. As mentioned before, I bought a Trail nitro piston air rifle (.22) a few years ago for just the purpose you mention, small critter control. After the 100-round period of inaccuracy, I was pretty happy with it. But, there are definitely limitations on killing power. Yes, I've used it to kill critters up to raccoons, but, it's not great for that (works very well on squirrels and cottontails with heart shots and head shots out to 30).

Then last year, I bought a savage .22 rimfire threaded for a suppressor (which I also bought). If I had put more thought into the guns, I probably would not have bought the .22 air rifle for this reason. If you shoot subsonic loads, even without the suppressor, you are basically shooting a .22 bullet at 800-1000 fps. If you shoot the air rifle, you're basically doing the exact same thing (.22 bullet at 800-1000 fps), only with a smaller projectile. Most .22 air rifle pellets are only 14-16 grains (a few make them up to 25 grains), but my favorite .22 subsonic round so far is 40 grains. This, of course, means that you have much more killing power, especially out to 50 yards. Accuracy will depend on the rounds, might have to try several loads to find which one shoots the best. But, when you find a good one, accuracy is as good, or better, than with the air rifle, especially so at longer distances.

As far a sound, it depends on how quiet you need it to be (how close the neighbors are). The subsonic .22 rifle loads, without the suppressor, are still much more quiet than a regular .22. But, slightly more noise than with a subsonic air rifle. But, if you need to be really, really quiet, you can always add a suppressor for $200 (plus the tax stamp). Ranked on noise level, it would come out (most quiet listed first):

.22 rifle subsonic and suppressed
                .22 air rifle subsonic
                .22 rifle subsonic (no suppressor)
                .22 air rifle hypersonic (above 1200 fps)
                .22 rifle hypersonic

Also note, as discussed some above, there is a big difference between .22 rifle subsonic rounds and CB rounds, or primer rounds, which are horribly inaccurate, and not effective for much (including the CCI segmented bullets). You can literally watch these rounds fly through the scope. In my experience, and mine only, you need to stick with a round that is going at least 900 fps (for me, the CCI and Aguila loads work well, both at 1000-1050 fps). I've got 3 loads that shoot around 700 fps and am not happy with those at all, especially for killing things.

So basically, rather than buying an air rifle, I'd just look at using a regular .22, which you probably already have, and just use subsonic loads. About the only thing I use my air rifle for now is brown-headed cowbirds. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                  Just a little more clarification on the .22 rifle subsonic. As mentioned before, I bought a Trail nitro piston air rifle (.22) a few years ago for just the purpose you mention, small critter control. After the 100-round period of inaccuracy, I was pretty happy with it. But, there are definitely limitations on killing power. Yes, I've used it to kill critters up to raccoons, but, it's not great for that (works very well on squirrels and cottontails with heart shots and head shots out to 30).

Then last year, I bought a savage .22 rimfire threaded for a suppressor (which I also bought). If I had put more thought into the guns, I probably would not have bought the .22 air rifle for this reason. If you shoot subsonic loads, even without the suppressor, you are basically shooting a .22 bullet at 800-1000 fps. If you shoot the air rifle, you're basically doing the exact same thing (.22 bullet at 800-1000 fps), only with a smaller projectile. Most .22 air rifle pellets are only 14-16 grains (a few make them up to 25 grains), but my favorite .22 subsonic round so far is 40 grains. This, of course, means that you have much more killing power, especially out to 50 yards. Accuracy will depend on the rounds, might have to try several loads to find which one shoots the best. But, when you find a good one, accuracy is as good, or better, than with the air rifle, especially so at longer distances.

As far a sound, it depends on how quiet you need it to be (how close the neighbors are). The subsonic .22 rifle loads, without the suppressor, are still much more quiet than a regular .22. But, slightly more noise than with a subsonic air rifle. But, if you need to be really, really quiet, you can always add a suppressor for $200 (plus the tax stamp). Ranked on noise level, it would come out (most quiet listed first):

.22 rifle subsonic and suppressed
                  .22 air rifle subsonic
                  .22 rifle subsonic (no suppressor)
                  .22 air rifle hypersonic (above 1200 fps)
                  .22 rifle hypersonic

Also note, as discussed some above, there is a big difference between .22 rifle subsonic rounds and CB rounds, or primer rounds, which are horribly inaccurate, and not effective for much (including the CCI segmented bullets). You can literally watch these rounds fly through the scope. In my experience, and mine only, you need to stick with a round that is going at least 900 fps (for me, the CCI and Aguila loads work well, both at 1000-1050 fps). I've got 3 loads that shoot around 700 fps and am not happy with those at all, especially for killing things.

So basically, rather than buying an air rifle, I'd just look at using a regular .22, which you probably already have, and just use subsonic loads. About the only thing I use my air rifle for now is brown-headed cowbirds. Hope this helps.
                  This is exactly what I have wound up doing. However I don't shoot the .22 in the yard. I used a couple of 3/4" plywood sheets and a large block of Styrofoam for a back stop with the .177 air rifle but I just do not feel good about shooting the .22 in the yard.

Comment

I too, also have a Benjamin Trail NP. But it is the NP II model. Has a few more FPS to it. Can be got at Academy for $199. Make sure it is the NP II and not the old Np that they sell for few dollars less. Trigger on mine is adjustable.

Comment

I've been shooting a Benjamin 392PA .22 pellet w/open sights for a couple yrs on tree rats.

I like the challenge of the open sight a practice and when the .22 pellet hits them, they are hammered. Open sights also makes it usable at night on other pests.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        I use an Benjamin 392 pump
                        x2

Comment

Before my pellet gun, I was shooting CB mini caps out of my Winchester 9422. Everything was terminated that I hit, but there was a slight report that could be heard by the neighbors (and issues if they knew what they were hearing).

Pellet guns are allowed by our HOA, but firearms are not.

Comment

A good accurate springer will cost a lot more than $200. I bought a Benjamin Trail NP2 awhile back and ended up giving it to my dad. I then bought a Discovery and pump, love it. I still need to buy a new trigger group as the trigger sucks but it still beats the spring guns.

Comment

Working...
                            X